FlyBall

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby mnp13 » June 16th, 2006, 12:10 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:Post some pictures

No pictures but I have lots of video!

Jen, in your opinion, would the members mind if I put video up? I don't think that any people ended up in the videos except the stuff-the-ball-in-the-contraption person.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » June 16th, 2006, 1:12 pm

Let's see the video!!
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » February 2nd, 2007, 2:26 pm

As some of you know, four weeks ago I started Riggs in flyball.

We had a nasty setback last week when he grabbed a JRT on the way into the building. He was two feet ahead of me, the JRT was 2 feet behind her owner. He came around the door jamb (there is no separation between the doors) and grabbed her by her fleece coat. He had her for about two seconds while she screamed like he was gutting her. She was on her back kicking, with him holding her coat. I screamed "Riggs OUT" and amazingly he let go the instant I said it. That poor little thing was totally minding her own business (unlike most of the JRT's there) and I think he thought "FINALLY, one is in range!" and grabbed her. Obviously, he had zero interest in hurting her or he would have re-gripped and killed her in less than an instant. He prey shakes his chicken quarters, one shake of her would have been the end. Her owner was very upset (understandably) and I put him up immediately and went to speak to her. I told her that if her dog needed any vet care that she was to bring her to the emergency vet immediately and give me the bill (that would have been well over $100, it's $90 to walk through the door.) I didn't care about that of course. I asked her to check for a wound and she didn't want to, she said she would check when she got home. I told her to wait a second while I wrote down my name and phone number, her response was "I know who you are." Lovely... I walked away before I got upset right back at her.

I spoke to her last night and she said that there wasn't a mark on her dog and that their real concern was that she would be afraid of strange dogs. But she's a JRT and is fearless anyway - so she's fine. She told me "her coat saved her and that if he had gotten her spine he would have crippled her" and I responded that Riggs had no interest in really hurting her dog or he would have killed her quite easily. Yes, he was being a royal jerk, and I was very very sorry for the incident, but there is no way he had intent to kill. Her eyes got kinida big, and she said "ok." My purpose was not to scare her, but to point out that he wasn't out to kill.

When I brought him out to the car after class, there was a woman on her way in with a JRT. I cracked him one for even looking at it. She told me that she has a JRT that she would be willing to use as a training dog for him, and that she completely understood the problem. She is going to bring the dog next week so we can do some work after the club meeting. The instructor also has a JRT to use after we get past the passive one, she has a more reactive one.

Jen and I both took pictures last week, and three came out good enough to print (the lighting is horrible in the building). I printed them and gave them to the owners, they offered money and I refused because I greatly appreciate the support I have gotten from them. The Lab owner was concerned that people are being negative to me, and asked who they were. I told her it didn't really matter who, but it was interfering with our training and that it bothered me a lot. She said it is just fear and that she would stand up to me if she ever heard any comments about it.

The trainer, who really likes Riggs, was extra vigilant that night, as expected. Last night was our last class and I was asked to leave the ring twice so other dogs could work off leash. I was disappointed, but it was not mean spirited so I couldn't complain. I missed about 1/4 of the class though.

I stayed two watch the team practice, and spoke to the instructor afterwards. She said that she is more than willing to work with Riggs, but that she is worried about a loose ball in a meet. She also said that even though Ontario law states that AmStaffs can enter the province for flyball, different tournaments are not letting them register. Great.

And the final kicker - some of the people on the team don't want me there. I have some supporters, and some detractors.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 2nd, 2007, 4:13 pm

Don't let it get you down - my last couple of flyball group classes all the other dogs left the ring when Inara was practicing off-leash recalls, and they asked me to leave when a couple of the smaller dogs were doing their own recalls. They also told me that they're afraid of what Inara may do if she collides with another dog going after a loose ball. So that's why my trainer offered to do private lessons with me - she keeps swearing up and down that once Inara knows the sport and loves it I won't have to worry as much about her going after other dogs. Unfortunately I couldn't afford the private lessons anymore, so I'm SOL. I had jumps built for me, so I can still practice at home, but what's the use of practicing if she's not going to be allowed to compete? :| So I totally understand your frustration. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » February 2nd, 2007, 4:32 pm

Though it seems contradictory, I'm ok with other dogs leaving the ring when Riggs is off leash, but the reverse bothers me. When they were doing the "passing" drills, and I won't be doing that with new dogs because that would be dangerous at this time - especially because there was no ball for him to focus on.

How do I teach him to behave around the other dogs if he is never near them?

The instructor said that his hyper focus will help him, and last night he seemed to "get it" that when he drops the ball he has he gets to go get another one. It was a big milestone for him.

On woman commented to me last year when we were the conformation class that she liked him, but she was glad I was the one handling him.

I'll be happy if I get a FD on him, which can be earned in only one race. One day with 4 races under 24 seconds will get him his FDX. Then we're probably done. No needs to tempt fate! It's "only" a race, but to do it with a dog like him is still an accomplishment and will help to teach him to ignore other dogs.

If he runs fourth I think that he will be fine. He'll have to pass a dog on the way in, but he'll have a ball to focus on at the other end. Maybe first would be a possibility as well, but definately not second or third.

Last night he smashed into a jump and turned it sideways... and went over it instead of around it. That was really cool because in a race he wouldn't be DQ'd for it (or at least that's what I understood from the comment made by someone else.)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » February 13th, 2007, 8:27 pm

Another update...

I spoke to the woman with the Lab at the club meeting on Thursday. I asked her if she would be willing to come a little early this week so that Riggs could meet Colby. My thought is that if he meets her then we have a better chance of him passing her with no big problem. She didn't even hesitate when she said yes. She also said I'd need to clear it with the instructor. The instructor said it was fine with her, as long as it was fine with the other owner. SCORE!!!

Now I have three people willing to help us, and a lot more faith in the club members. We're going to do the Lab first, and once that is all set, we're going to move to the completely passive JRT's.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » February 13th, 2007, 8:45 pm

GOOD LUCK!!
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » February 13th, 2007, 9:25 pm

yay!!! I hope it helps every one ( and dog ) feel more comfortable.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » February 23rd, 2007, 7:34 pm

Yesterday's class went very well. Riggs was hurting a little from the snow/ice thing on Tuesday so we didn't have him run for long.

He did a few full "down and backs" and then we worked with him on turns. He let go of the balls in exchange for Cheetos - for a while anyway.

There is a team who trained their Pit Bull with plexiglass to teach her not to interfere with the dogs running in the next lane. After she smashed into it a few times, she stopped charging the other lane. We're going to try that both for Riggs and two of the JRTs. I think a hot wire would work, but I'm not going to suggest that unless the plexi doesn't work!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » February 24th, 2007, 12:02 am

Sounds like a great idea!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby akaspaddero » March 12th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Maddie went to her first practice last night..We just did jumps
I was going to post if anyone's dogs participate in flyball, and got an answer from this post...I am a little leery of Maddie doing flyball, but our instructor is pretty good and very diligent with some dogs we have on the team (she asks all of us to put our dogs away when they run). Who knows, we will see. If she can make it and focus great, if not that is ok too. I like how the one instructor said you work on the game first and then the distractions....But, man is she scared. We made other people give her treats last night.
BTW, I love Spell Check!!!!!!!!
akaspaddero
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » March 12th, 2007, 4:14 pm

Good Luck to you and Maddie with your training!
Jenn
undecided

Previous

Return to Sports