sports/working folks

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby babyreba » February 12th, 2007, 1:42 pm

what sport or work do you and your dog participate in?

why did you choose it?

what does your sport of choice require (mentally and physically) of the dog? of the handler?
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Maximusflys » February 12th, 2007, 1:46 pm

Mostly dock jumping, but also weight pull and flyball.

dock jumping was easy to get into and the my dog just loves it. For this sport it's all about the dog and his cofidence and drive. For the hander it's the throw that matters the dog does the rest.
Brian & Maximus
http://www.teamtriplethreat.net
Sposored by
http://www.BLOCKYDOGS.com
http://www.animalfood.com
Conditioning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
Maximusflys
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » February 12th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Ruby
therapy
why - her calm demeanor is perfict for it, she is not the wiggle butt type of dog, but her "total calm" is excellent for some people
requirements - there really weren't any for her. all it required was basic obecience and she never had any problems with that. getting used to the different sights and sounds of therapy was no problem at all and literally took no work.

bugging Riggs
why - because she likes it and it keeps her running around
requirements - playing ball with him

agility
why - she loves it and learned every obstical on the first try (but the weaves of course!), we didn't have any issues on anything
requirements - practice!!! and patience to learn the weave poles, which we still haven't succeeded with.

high jump
why - so she could compete in something other than fastest dog at the Bull-ympics
requirements - me acting like a total fool to get her excited to jump. She is GOOD at it!

Riggs
weight pull
why - why not?
requirements -training and obedience. he has his basic title, I'm on the fence on going further.

agility
why - it's fun and makes him think
requirements - same as for Ruby, no problems with any obsticals, we still haven't gotten the weaves right yet, making him listen and actually slow down

bitework - presently PSA
why - it's a lot of fun and makes him useful
requirements - obedience, keeping up with the training, having decoys and proper equipment

high jump
why - for the Bull-ympics
requirements - getting him to jump instead of limbo... seriously

obedience
why - it helps with all of the above
requirements - lots of practice

therapy
why - he has a great attitude
reequirements - manners (which is why we haven't gone anywhere yet!)
Last edited by mnp13 on February 12th, 2007, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dogged » February 12th, 2007, 4:00 pm

what sport or work do you and your dog participate in?
Tate (Boxer) is an ASR prospect. I also have non-sport dogs that do "stuff"...one show dog and everyone else just does obedience (varying levels, but not compeditive).

why did you choose it?

I like the sport of ASR but, above all, I enjoy the people within the sport. Esp the people that make up my local chapter.

what does your sport of choice require (mentally and physically) of the dog? of the handler?

Of the dog--lots of drive, courage, stamina and strength.
Of the human--Time, patience, patience, patience and time. Physically? You've got to be strong enough to hold back a powerful dog that wants nothing more than to get that decoy (btw, I do not mean aggressively).
dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » February 13th, 2007, 7:54 am

I can only speak for my dogs (although I know what sport Greg's dogs compete in, I don't know WHY he chose it, although he participates in PSA, and he's been around since it's inception b/c he used to train with Joe Morris, then became the head trainer for Capital Cities K9).

So, my dogs:

Sacha:
PSA
Yes, you read it right, the lab is doing PSA. However, I recognize it won't be something in which she excels so we're just going for a PDC and a TC (obedience).
Chosen because it gave us something to work hard for
Takes strong training, strong handler dog relationship, lots of control

AKC and UKC Obedience
Just basic obedience titles

Schutzhund
She may not do well b/c of the pressure in PSA, but might be able to get a SchI (and a BH)...she bites a sleeve rather well, but doesn't jump that high for the shoulder (will go for the shoulder, but doesn't do it well)

Duck Hunting
Yep, Greg is going to start training her in the thing she was bred to do.

Nisha:
PSA
Will try for all levels with her (she's got the drive and the nerve for it)
Same reasons as above

Schutzhund
Just something different to also do with her

Druscilla:
Greg will probably do Schutzhund with her

Agility
She's a little jumper (sits at our back door, and can jump straight up and clear it (and it's almost 7 feet tall), so it's something I'd eventually like to do with her for fun

Kaiden:
Currently 6 months old. Will probably do Schutzhund (I want to excel in more than one sport)

Greg's dogs:
Jue
PSA
already has his 1 Open, working towards a 2.
Takes strong obedience

Personal protection
He has an awesome defensive side, so he makes a great PP dog. In fact, if Greg has to go out of town, I have Jue sleep in our bedroom. When he retires from PSA, he will be our full-time PP dog.

Asja
PSA
Currently working towards a 2
May also do some Schutzhund

Upon her retirement (a long ways away), she will be a house dog (PP dog), and I will also try to do some therapy work with her. With her calm temperament and loving nature, I think she'd make a wonderful therapy dog!!!

Lucky Rocky
Only 5 weeks old right now!!!! But biting EVERYTHING in sight!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » February 13th, 2007, 9:08 am

Wally

Therapy
Why - My friend asked me to do the Reading With Rover program with her since Wally has such a calm demeanor and is really the best snuggler ever.
Requirements - Being calm, having basic obedience (which we desperately need to brush up on), being friendly (he's a love w.hore).

Fun Competitions

Why - He has a cute trick, singing on command, that seems to just tickle everyone so we compete in fun stuff whenever we can with that one.
Requirements - Just singing. Even if he's stressed out he'll still sing for me. It's the only command he will do 100% of the time. LOL!

Mike

Weight Pull
Why - He pulls like a freight train and loves it
Requirements - a love of pulling, which he has!

PP
Why - He is naturally protective so he needs to be able to be controlled in those situations
Requirements - obedience (which is why we haven't started competing yet), a solid temperment

Agility
Why - We started it for fun but he absolutely LOVES it. Not sure if we will pursue it, though.
Requirements - jumping, running, and having fun! Oh yeah and obedience . . . that one gets us everytime!

Athena

Weight Pull
Why - She's going to be a little beast and hopefully she'll love to pull. But she's still young so we'll see what the future holds.
Requirements - Pulling

Agility
Why - This dog is SMART and LOVES to jump and run. I think she's going to be just fantastic at agility. I can't wait to get her started!
Requirements - The dog be fast and agile, loving to run jump and just have fun. I think she's going to excel at this one.

Therapy
Why - She has such a sweet and loveable temperment, once she's out of the crazy psychotic puppy stage I think she'll be perfect for therapy work
Requirements - Obedience, a loving temperment, and the ability to calm the hell down for an hour or so (crossing my fingers for that last one, lol!)

PP
Why - I originally got her to be my sport dog but it doesn't look like that is going to pan out. Her breed excels at bitework so I do want to keep her in there, but we'll probably just do low level PP work for fun and focus more on the agility. Like I said, though, she's still young so things will probably change.
Requirements - Solid temperment, excellent obedience
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby brooksybrooks1 » February 13th, 2007, 1:54 pm

tre: currently schutzhund with plans to do psa later this year and hopefully anything else he can get into, like ukc/akc obedience.
why? cuz it's fun, and tre likes it, and because i'm a dog trainer by profession it only is more experience for my career
what it requires: TIME, patience, physical and mental strength on his part, physical strength on my part restraining the beast!, balanced temperament. he's calmed down a lot ever since i started giving him a job to do.
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby pocketpit » February 13th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Brody, Kimber, Mercy, Brooks (retired)
French Ring

Why? - Because they were bred for working and love nothing more than to train for it. It's a great mental and physical outlet for energy and they learn a lot of obedience skills.

Requirements: For the dog a lot of physical stamina, ability to think and act independently of their handler. For the handler it requires a huge training commitment especially if you are training a breed not normally used in the sport. The Dobermans and my SBT all work differently than a Malinois and must be trained differently.

Brooks (retired), Kimber, Mercy
Agility
Why? - Another energy burning outlet that requires the dog to think and builds a huge bond between the handler and dog. It develops great focus and attention on the handler and creates an awareness on the handler's part on just how much dogs rely on our body language not just verbal cues. Agility also helps strengthen coordination and body awareness in the dog.

Requirements - a dog and handler team who want to have fun! The rest just depends on why you are training for agility and how far you want to take it.

Dice
Flyball
Why? None of the other sports have been her forte'. She's extremely athletic but nothing else has really interested her and lit her up with excitement. She's so toy focused it's like having a Border Collie in Pit Bull clothing.
Requirements - A toy driven dog that can learn to focus or is naturally focused despite a lot of noise and visual distraction.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 13th, 2007, 8:24 pm

Oops! I forgot Flyball for Riggs!

Why? uh... at this point, I have no idea. It is an incredible training challenge for us; and that is the real draw. If we earn a Flyball title I will honestly look as highly upon it as an obedience title; if not higher. Getting people past their breed hatred is also on my list, it is not a major factor but it does figure in. He will be great or it will be a bad bad thing.

Requirements - learning to jump over 4 jumps, grab a ball and return. Sounds easy, right? Well, it is easy (for him) and he was doing a "swimmers turn" on the first day. The second practice he was doing three jumps in both directions. Last week (week four), he smashed into a jump on the way in, leaving the lane half open, and he detoured to go over the jump on the way back. However, we have a long way to go. We have to learn an immediate out, incase he has to do a double run for some reason. We also have to learn to not go after loose balls, not go after other dogs who are running in the next lane and not to have a problem with the pass. If he runs fourth, we have the last one covered because he will know the ball is at the other end and he has very strong hyper focus.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby adrianne » February 16th, 2007, 4:45 pm

Agility, Therapy, Weight pull and Obedience.. Why? because I like not having a life. LOL jk Actually I just love it all and this dog would run and jump and hunt all day if I let him. Mostly all and all its a battle of ME not screwing up during training or skipping it all together with other aspects of my life. Arnold always brings his A game he's a pretty cool partner.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
adrianne
Just Whelped

Return to Sports