Forgot Sit Stay

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby luvmyangels » February 16th, 2006, 10:33 pm

Ok this is more of a venting session for me but feel free to give your thoughts.

When Knuckles and I went to agility class tonight he seemed to have forgotten his sit stay which we have had down perfectly for quite some time. I know dogs are not supposed to do things in spite but I think he is quite annoyed with me because I went away for a week and a half. Although I did leave him with my brother who he adores (but my brother taught him some really bad habits while I was away and praised him and gave treats for them).

In the end I am really annoyed with myself because I have not taken any time since I have been home to work with him (it has been a little nuts). So in the end this is my fault. But during class the instructor kept saying you need to work and get down your sit stay. So I am more frustrated because I know we were fine prior to being away.

Oh and one more thing I want to add is that when I went to leave tonight for class and proceeded to use the leash I usually use, the leash was half eaten. I forgot my brother told me he was chewing the leash when he brought him to class last week (which is probably my other problem that I let him take him to class but I didn't want him to miss). But I am glad I realized it before I left because he would have broken the leash.

Anyone have any words of wisdom??
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » February 16th, 2006, 10:45 pm

they get to an age where everything you taught them goes out the window, its like a brain fart... that happened to my 2 as well.. go back to working him for a few minutes at a time a few times each day and it should all come back to him:)
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » February 16th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Maryellen wrote:they get to an age where everything you taught them goes out the window, its like a brain fart... that happened to my 2 as well.. go back to working him for a few minutes at a time a few times each day and it should all come back to him:)

Thank you for your words or wisdom. I appreciate them and plan on doing everything you have advised.

I just think I am having a bad day. I am going to sleep soon to hopefully wake up on the right side of the bed tomorrow.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby mnp13 » February 17th, 2006, 11:42 am

a week of someone else mucking with your training can set you back weeks of training. I'm sure it's not a perminant setback though. Just go back and review.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » February 17th, 2006, 2:52 pm

I have come to the realization that when a dog starts deciding if he wants to obey or not is the time a little compulsion needs to be introduced. :wink:
Romanwild
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior