scared at night?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby chance's mom » February 16th, 2006, 12:15 am

chance is a great dog, but jumps when he hears noises like a trashcan lid or anything loud outside. he is expecially jumpy at night? anyway i can help him with this? anyone elses dog do this?
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Romanwild » February 16th, 2006, 8:34 am

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Sounds pretty normal to me.

If he doesn't recover and go back to sleep then I would be concerned.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby pibblegrl » February 16th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Romanwild wrote:I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Sounds pretty normal to me.

If he doesn't recover and go back to sleep then I would be concerned.

I would make sure to ignore him too, when he gets jumpy. You could make it worse by 'rewarding' the behavior.
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby chance's mom » February 16th, 2006, 10:11 pm

i never reward him for it, it is always when we walk outside, i just pretend nothing happened and say come, and keep walking. thanks for letting me know it normal though. i figured, i just always try to get others opinions to be sure. thank you again
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 17th, 2006, 12:03 pm

Yup, always ask! That's why we're here!

He'll probably grow out of it.

Another way to help is to approach whatever scared him and let him check it out. Don't encourage him, just walk up to it and put your had on it. He'll learn that it won't eat mom so it won't eat him.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby turtle » February 17th, 2006, 11:34 pm

One thing I did with my dog when she was about 6 or 7 months old was to take her out walking at night to a shopping center that was open.

Most of the ones near me are open until 9 pm so we just walked around and window shopped, sat on the benches, etc. People would stop and pet her and sometimes when we went late at night, the trash trucks would be out making a lot of noise.

I think often they are more sensitive to things happening at night. And I've heard of dogs that can't see well at night which makes them more nervous and uncertain.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby chance's mom » February 18th, 2006, 8:14 pm

thank you i will definately try that, i have always walked my dog just before sunset so the ground has had time to not cool off, or early morning so the ground isn't hot yet, that way it doesnt hurt the pads on their feet.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby embers » February 19th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Another suggestions is to work inside during the day of "sit" and look at you - give treat.

Do this until it is solid.

Then, while outside, have treats in your pocket. When something happens that makes your dog jumpy or nervous, hold the leash taut and have him sit and look at you, reward him with saying "Good!" and give him the treat. This will teach him to look to you when uncomfortable, and also to process and do obedience in all conditions. It will also redirect his attention (it can be like a "reset button"), and give him confidence and comfort because he will know what is expected of him.
embers
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior