separation anxiety.

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby randi81 » January 25th, 2007, 2:58 pm

today was the first time i've ever left saydee alone. i had an appointment at 9am, so we woke up early, let her eat, took her out, + then i put her in her crate. i came back 2 hours later, open the front door... + there is saydee greeting me hello. :o the house is in order + my shihtzu is peacefully sleeping on the couch... but here is saydee. she knows something she did isn't normal, because she was cowering on the dining room floor (i think she has some past abuse issues). anyways, i was petting her + stuff.. then went upstairs to look at the crate. her crate is a wire one, + she managed to unlatch the bottom closure.. then bend the entire front of the crate so she could fit through. i was like holy. crap. my boyfriend managed to get the crate back to it's original shape + the door is secure again, but i think it's pretty obvious that my little saydee has separation anxiety, lol. any suggestions on how i should handle leaving her alone in the future?
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby msvette2u » January 25th, 2007, 5:05 pm

How is she in a Vari Kennel type crate?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » January 26th, 2007, 10:46 am

Definitely get a vari kennel and turn it around so that you press the door up against the wall when you leave. When I was working at the kennel 98% of our crates were wire and I can't even tell you how many times I opened the crate door to find an escapee sleeping at the foot of the stairs :shock:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby randi81 » January 26th, 2007, 1:48 pm

On January 25 2007, 4:05 PM, msvette2u wrote:How is she in a Vari Kennel type crate?

i don't know... the wire crate is the first + only one i bought. but after yesterday.. i'm gonna try the vari kennel. she loves her wire crate that she has now.. it's like her little domain. i have a blanket over it on 3 sides cuz it can get a bit drafty upstairs, but as long as she can see me, she's fine with that.
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby randi81 » January 26th, 2007, 1:49 pm

On January 26 2007, 9:46 AM, SisMorphine wrote:Definitely get a vari kennel and turn it around so that you press the door up against the wall when you leave. When I was working at the kennel 98% of our crates were wire and I can't even tell you how many times I opened the crate door to find an escapee sleeping at the foot of the stairs :shock:

thanks, i'll try that! :)
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Jenn » January 26th, 2007, 2:15 pm

Ben had severe seperation anxiety. Completely my fault, it was extremely miserable, and I'm sooo glad we made it through that. I slowly weaned him, by just leaving for short periods of time, and then returning. I stress the slowly, because it took a few months. Eventually, he learned that he was ok, and I would be back.

I didn't read it here, but from just a quick search here is basically the same suggestion. Good luck!

http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applie ... xiety.html
Jenn
undecided

Postby katiek0417 » January 26th, 2007, 3:14 pm

Jue has really bad separation anxiety....sadly, he can actually escape from a Vari-Kennel...so, he's in an aluminum kennel...

However, I never make a big deal out of leaving or coming back. When I leave, I just leave...when I get home, I don't say hello to any of the dogs for about 5 minutes...then I go in and start letting them out...Jue is typically third one out...as each dog comes out of his/her crate, I let them jump up on me, and I love on them for a few minutes before opening the back door for them...same thing with Jue....but I don't make an extra big deal for him...
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Training & Behavior