Father Accepts Plea Bargain In Dog Attack

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » January 23rd, 2007, 11:08 am

http://www.wluctv6.com/Global/story.asp ... 4&nav=81AX

A Newberry man accepted a plea bargain Monday in a case involving a dog attack on his three year old daughter.

26 year old Corey Thomas Wass was charged with second degree felonious child abuse. His daughter Iris was attacked by the dog on January 4 after authorities say he fell asleep using intoxicants.

The girl wandered outside and was mauled by the animal which was tied up with a chain.

The girl's mother, Amber Mayor, says she warned Wass about the dogs in the yard.

"They seemed fine around me and Iris and stuff," she told TV6, "but I always said, watch her around those dogs. And I said, no matter what, I just don't want them in the same spot. I don't feel comfortable, I've never been comfortable around dogs."

The child was released from the University of Michigan Hospital last Friday after being treated for dog bites and hypothermia.

Wass faces a minimum five months in jail. He'll be sentenced on March 20.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » January 24th, 2007, 11:29 am

Father pleads guilty
Dog mauling child abuse case

By JOHN PEPIN, Journal Munising Bureau

NEWBERRY — A Newberry man who slept while his 3-year-old daughter was mauled by a Rottweiler dog pleaded guilty Monday to a second-degree child abuse charge in Luce County Circuit Court.

Corey Wass, 27, waived his right to a preliminary hearing in 92nd District Court Monday and moments later pleaded guilty to the charge in 11th Judicial Circuit Court before Judge Beth Ann Gibson.

Wass will be sentenced at 10 a.m. March 20 with Judge Charles Stark presiding. The felony is punishable by a minimum of four months and a maximum of four years incarceration.

Bond was revoked for Wass Monday and he was returned to jail in Chippewa County, where he awaits the sentencing hearing.

“The people are pleased and the family seems to be satisfied with the outcome,â€
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL