She thinks she owns the joint

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby msvette2u » February 15th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Lambie, my deaf puppy, thinks she owns this joint. When the door opens she rushes out, or in, depending on where she was to begin with. It's becoming annoying, and this morning Jeff blocked her way out and she bit his calf! He said he shook her by the scruff in response.
How do we curb this? With our hearing dogs, you say "Ahhh ah!" and they stop. But Lambie just thinks she can go in or out, freely. Sometimes I tether her when she's being really a pain and jumping on furniture. I've finally taught her to stay off, but its different training a non-hearing dog, so you have to be creative with hand signals.
I was considering keeping a short leash on her collar so we can give corrections, would that help? She tends to chew however, anything that is near her neck, like when her collar was a tad too large, so not sure how that would work?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Purple » February 15th, 2006, 3:26 pm

My Dalamation is deaf....we found that when the cruel and unreasonable water bottle hissed and spit on him, it would stop him in his tracks..... :eekHair:
Purple
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 15th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Ohhh good idea!!! She HATES that thing! I think the fact she can't hear it, freaks her out as much as anything.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior