introducing my new APBT to my old cats.

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby randi81 » January 21st, 2007, 1:53 am

saydee is the first APBT i've ever owned, + i'm having some issues getting my 2 cats acquainted with her. she hasn't shown any aggression, just overzealous curiosity, lol. saydee just wants to sniff them hello, but as she approaches, they hiss + run away. i'm sure you can guess what happens next - cat runs, saydee runs, chaos rears it's ugly head. my bedroom is ground zero for the cats (zeuss + snook); litter boxes, food, etc. saydee's crate is next to my bed.. so i've kinda tipped the cats' world upside down. we haven't started obedience training yet (next class starts feb 10th), so for the time being, she's only in the crate to sleep, + if she takes off after one of the cats. i woke up in the middle of the night last night, + snook (the less friendly of the 2 cats) was sitting contently outside of saydee's crate, while saydee just wagged her little tail + did her best to sniff snook. this is progress, right? just as saydee is overzealous with her curiosity, i'm overzealous with my need to want everyone to get along. :)

i honestly don't even know if saydee had ever seen a cat before she came to live here. i rescued her from a facility she'd been in for a little over a year.. + her estimated age is only 20-24 months.

i'm VERY open to any helpful tips + suggestions... i'd greatly appreciate it!! thanks!!
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 21st, 2007, 9:19 am

I am no dog trainer (or even someone who understands cats), but I recently inherited my Mom's cat, Bo. At the time I had 4 dogs, and Harleybird (Lab/Pit in photo) was VERY intent on having a cat snack.

So, I put Bo in the dog crate, so he would feel secure and let the dogs interact that way for awhile.

I still never trust my 3 dogs with Bo. Bo also decided it would be fun to pee on all the dog beds, so I bought a cat cage for him for when I can't supervise.

We still have moments of bedlam where someone starts a chase, but I am always home to intervene.

iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 21st, 2007, 10:17 am

Trust me, it's going to take a while. I got Inara when she was 8 weeks old, and she is now 15 months old and the cats still don't like her. They're all getting better. She desperately wants to play with them, but shockingly enough, they don't return the love. :| I recently purchased a spray bottle and if she starts pestering a cat, she gets spritzed. It seems to be working as she tries to give them a fairly wide berth now. Just give it time! And keep her out of the cat box and cat food - both are VERY bad for dogs. Good luck! :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » January 21st, 2007, 11:38 am

she's only in the crate to sleep, + if she takes off after one of the cats

First I would say that you should not be using the crate to punish her. If she takes off after one of the cats, put her in a down or somthing like that, don't put her in the crate.

Personally, I'd keep her on leash in the house for a while until she gets used to them. I have two cats and two dogs, and I have an easy system - no matter what happens, the cats are innocent and the dogs are guilty. The dogs pick that up pretty quickly and find other things to do than bug the cats.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby randi81 » January 21st, 2007, 7:09 pm

On January 21 2007, 10:38 AM, mnp13 wrote:
she's only in the crate to sleep, + if she takes off after one of the cats

First I would say that you should not be using the crate to punish her. If she takes off after one of the cats, put her in a down or somthing like that, don't put her in the crate.

i know, i realize that now. that was the only time i did that, but it wasn't solely a punishment thing.. i also brought one of the cats upstairs to nose around while saydee was in her crate.
randi81
Full of Bully

Return to Training & Behavior