My 1st time delivering valentine cards to dogs

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby annieinpa » February 14th, 2006, 8:29 pm

This is the first year that I delivered valentine cards (that my daughter and her 2nd grade class, and the Sr. Action Club members of her school made).

I went to addresses that I had written down and also was doing drive bys. I delivered only 22 cards out of 45 :( that's depressing to me, b/c I know that there are soo many dogs chained/penned.

What DDB does every Feb. 7-14th is get addresses of chained/penned dogs. we have school's make cards and we deliver them to the address. In hopes that the owners will bring their loving dogs into the home.

After I got my kids from school, I drove past the one house that I delivered a card and door hanger too, and guess what? I didn't see the dog chained or better yet, the dog wasn't even outside. YAY, maybe I helped to make a difference.

I had gotton some addy's from when I and another ddb member were delivering straw in Dec. 01st. Some of those dogs weren't chained outside anymore either.

There was some success in today, but I really wish I would've got more cards delivered.

Next yr. what I'm going to do is put an ad in the newspaper and get help from the public. And do more advertising for it.

But the dogs that I saw chained/penned was heartbreaking.

One house had 2 pit bulls penned outside, one had a rottie in a fenced yard, but living in a small dog crate, there were 3 dogs chained to their own dog house and another dog chained to a clothes pole with no food no water. and it just goes on.

This breaks my heart, I'm really hoping that some of these people will contact me to take their dogs (I'll have to find foster homes), but I'm hoping to give these dogs that I found a second chance at live.

If any of you are in the Hazleton, Weatherly, Hometown, Tamaqua, Conyngham, Drums, West Hazleton, Freeland, Jim Thorpe, Nesquehoning, Summit Hill, Lansford and surrounding areas in these towns and counties Schulkyll, Luzerne, Carbon and see any dogs chained/penned please let me know so I can send out brochures, and keep their addy's for next yrs valentine cards.

I hope these dogs won't still be outside by then, but I'm sure it's gonna happen.
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Romanwild » February 14th, 2006, 11:03 pm

Thanks for doing that! That's a cool idea!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Purple » February 14th, 2006, 11:06 pm

How about dogs that are crated almost 24/7 and kept in a small metal shed....I never, ever see them take these dogs out.....They are labs and they can't be more than two years old, and there are thre of them.....so sad.
Purple
I live here

Postby annieinpa » February 15th, 2006, 1:22 pm

If you can get me the address, I can send a brochure, and valentine card to them. any dogs that are left outside 24/7, are the dogs we try to help.

Let me know if you can get me the addy.

My daughter and her friends and theother students loved doing it. I'm going to see if their school will participate again next yr.

We want them to know that although they forgot about their dogs, there are us who don't forget them. and want to help.
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » February 15th, 2006, 1:23 pm

That's really cool of you Annie!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Purple » February 15th, 2006, 1:26 pm

I would know the addy, just not their names...they aren't very social people....would that be enough?
Purple
I live here

Postby annieinpa » February 15th, 2006, 11:12 pm

That's fine. as long as I have the address, I can send out the info.

Thanks
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Mylexon20s » February 18th, 2006, 1:38 pm

I See that your from NEPA! I grew up in Kingston (luzerne county), but I moved to FL in June of 99 (I was 14 yrs old)... Its really nice what your doing!!
-Matt
Mylexon20s

Postby justalovepuppy » February 18th, 2006, 10:10 pm

this is great idea. thank you for doing it. i barely can leave my dogs out side in this weather and the thought of dogs actually sleeping outside in it just kills me
justalovepuppy
Just Whelped

Return to Off-Topic