color dilution alopecia

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jaime » February 15th, 2006, 9:22 am

capone may have this? he has a crappy hair coat (ever since he was about 4 mos) loses hair in tiny spot like little hairless pimples on his head... skin scrapings neg. and i am having his thyroid tested today. i hope it isn't color dilution alopecia...

blue dogs are really a lot of work :(
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 15th, 2006, 10:41 am

Jaime wrote:i hope it isn't color dilution alopecia...

It isn't what????
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » February 15th, 2006, 10:45 am

what food are you feeding him?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » February 15th, 2006, 11:11 am

Maryellen wrote:what food are you feeding him?

I think I remember her saying that they're on Natures Variety: Venison.

Jaime was that you or am I thinking of someone else?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » February 15th, 2006, 11:16 am

maybe the natures variety venison he is allergic too....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » February 15th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Put that baby on a raw diet! :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jaime » February 15th, 2006, 12:35 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
Maryellen wrote:what food are you feeding him?

I think I remember her saying that they're on Natures Variety: Venison.

Jaime was that you or am I thinking of someone else?

YAH THAT'S ME :) thyroid is being tested... negative for mange etc on skin scraping
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jaime » February 15th, 2006, 12:40 pm

Maryellen wrote:maybe the natures variety venison he is allergic too....

he does the best on this food :| his hair grew back but is still thin
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jaime » February 15th, 2006, 12:43 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Jaime wrote:i hope it isn't color dilution alopecia...

It isn't what????

not itchy at all. after my vet mentioned this i did some online searching and this is what i found:

http://skyway.usask.ca/~schmutz/dogconditions.html
Color-dilution alopecia appears to be the same disorder as Black Hair Follicular Dysplasia but covers a wider range of coat colors. It is also called Blue Doberman Syndrome, Fawn Irish Setter Syndrome, and Blue Dog disease. Patchy poor haircoat is the hallmark.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/i...0203.htm&hide=1
CONGENITAL AND INHERITED ANOMALIES OF THE INTEGUMENTARY SYSTEM

Color dilution alopecia in a young Doberman Pinscher. Note dorsal thinning of haircoat. Courtesy of Dr. Stephen White
In dogs, there are several tardive follicle dysplasias, including color dilution alopecia. This is found in some dogs bearing the coat color phenotype dd, which renders black genotypes blue and liver genotypes beige or fawn. This syndrome is best known in Doberman Pinschers but is also commonly seen in color dilute Dachshunds, Italian Greyhounds, Greyhounds, Whippets, Yorkshire Terriers, and tricolor hounds. Affected dogs are born with normal hair coats but, before 1 yr of age, begin to develop follicular seborrhea, folliculitis, and hypotrichosis that is progressive and confined to the blue or fawn-colored areas. Black hair follicle dysplasia, a similar, but earlier developing and more complete hypotrichosis, is seen in black and white piebald dogs. The hypotrichosis develops shortly after birth and affects only the black-colored areas. This syndrome is best known in the Papillon and Bearded Collie. A similar follicular dysplasia is reported in nonpiebald breeds. Other types of follicular dysplasias that are apparently affected by endocrine factors are seasonal flank alopecia of Boxers and Airedale Terriers and various woolly syndromes and postclipping alopecia in Spitz-type breeds. Growth hormone-responsive alopecia in Pomeranians is probably hereditary. In cats, follicular dysplasia occurs in the Devon Rex. In horses, both color dilution alopecia and black hair follicle dysplasias are occasionally reported, especially in the Appaloosa. Reported hair shaft structural abnormalities of dogs and cats include pili torti (American Wirehaired Cat), trichorrhexis nodosa, and spiculosis (Kerry Blue Terrier).
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 16th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Keep us posted. Has the dog been tested for allergies?
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Nutrition & Health