aloha to the forum!

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby makasdaddy » January 9th, 2007, 6:36 pm

hi there, just chekin in for the first time...im on kauai, in hawaii. makaleha is our puppy's name. shes a blue girl and we are so happy to have her in our family. im here looking for any and all info regarding training, nutrition, proper upbringing and behavior. thats it for now, aloha and mahalo, stan
makasdaddy
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » January 9th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Can I come visit??

Welcome to the board! Is this your first pit bull? How did you become interested in the breed?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 9th, 2007, 10:21 pm

Welcome! :wave:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Purple » January 9th, 2007, 10:38 pm

Oh, I want to come visit, too!!!
Welcome!
Purple
I live here

Postby luvmypitties » January 10th, 2007, 11:39 am

I love Hawaii!! I have been there before on vacation!! Very beautiful!

bet you get some nice pictures of your dog with sucj beautiful background!! Welcome to the board!! :greenWave:
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Jenn » January 10th, 2007, 3:28 pm

Hello and welcome! :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » January 10th, 2007, 5:32 pm

Forget the visiting ~ Can I come live with you? I only have 3 dogs. Oh, and a cat. But I can leave the cat behind with the husband. :wink:

Welcome!

Joyce
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Purple » January 10th, 2007, 9:23 pm

On January 10 2007, iluvk9 wrote:Forget the visiting ~ Can I come live with you? I only have 3 dogs. Oh, and a cat. But I can leave the cat behind with the husband. :wink:

Welcome!

Joyce

She can't cook, I can!
Purple
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » January 10th, 2007, 9:50 pm

She can't cook, I can!

Uh, excuse me, Mary Jane, but we will be eating fresh fruit and drinking nectar while living in Hawaii. Geez...
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Purple » January 10th, 2007, 10:01 pm

Whew, that's good news for you, since you can't cook! :D
Purple
I live here

Postby makasdaddy » January 12th, 2007, 7:52 pm

hello there...first off thanks for the great welcome--i really didnt expect it, so mahalo!! to answer a couple of questions: maka is our very first APBT , although my wife had a sweet brindle girl for about 14 years, that i was fortunate enough to get to know a bit while we were visiting her parents on our honeymoon 16 years ago. we have two other dogs, both adorable girl mutts ( one pure white with one blue eye "Fresca" and a black one " Pepper" ) they are both a bit long in the tooth ( 12 and we think, 9 or ten, respectively), and so we decided to add some new blood to the pack. maka and fresca get on great, with the old lady being very motherly and playful. pepper has been slower to warm to maka, but is comming along. i have been researching pittys for a while ( 2 years) and looking for a reputable breeder. we even were scouting our local dog pound and almost picked up a nice pit mix, but after about 5 visits with her and our old dogs we started seeing a few undesirable behaviors in her and decided to pass, and bought a pup from a UKC registered breeder on oahu. our interest in the breed has to do with it's intelligence,athletisim, loyalty, trainability (is that a word?), and the fact that this breed is so badly maligned these days that we wanted to raise a APBT that would show anyone that came into contact with it what a shining example of the breed looks and behaves like...i really want people to walk away after meeting maka and be surprised to know that she is a pit. to that thought we are not going to be cropping her ears--we feel it keeps them more "mellow" looking(although, if we ever do get a male, cropping is not off the table...but my wife will have the last say...) we just started some basic obedience training and she is comming along very nicely. i have a couple of friends that do obedience and schutzhund and they are being very helpful with advice and books. i am currently reading " Purely Positive Training" by Sheila Booth and have decided that i will use a Mostly positive approach with Maka. From what i have researched , for the most part, a gentle leash correction, if appropriete, is not at all detrimental to puppys health and/ or mental wellbeing, and although i have yet to leash correct her, i will do so when and if needed. of course , like most everyone else ive been tuning into the dog whisperer, and so far a strong " Shsss!" is all i have needed. she did growl at us a couple of times and we promptly layed her down on her side and taught submission and she has been fine since. ive also read up on the monks of new skete and as soon as im done with "purely positive" , i'll start on their book also...
whew, im rambling! just got back from the vet. maka gets her last shot feb 8th then she'll be good to go on the 15th--cant wait to take her to the beach. weve got a bad parvo problem here so im being xtra cautious--the vet said it should be ok to take her to the beach, but i need to carry her to the sandy part and dont let her roam to the grassy areas where she could catch anything...i cant wait !!
well, i better stop now, thanks again for the hellos and welcomes--you guys are welcome to pop over for a visit anytime...ill be checking in from time to time with questions and ill post some pics soon...
BTW , any good sites for pitty toys or home made toys out there ? spring poles, balls etc...! till next time, aloha, stan and maka
" We could have just got a dog--instead we got a pitbull"
makasdaddy
Just Whelped

Postby PBT Staff » January 12th, 2007, 9:27 pm

PBT Staff

Postby makasdaddy » January 18th, 2007, 5:09 pm

yahooo!! i got my avatar goin'!!!! check out maka @ 8 weeks !!! prepare to melt !
We could have just got a dog...instead we got a Pit Bull.
makasdaddy
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » January 18th, 2007, 5:28 pm

On January 18 2007, makasdaddy wrote:yahooo!! i got my avatar goin'!!!! check out maka @ 8 weeks !!! prepare to melt !

OH MY! WHAT A DOLL!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby makasdaddy » January 18th, 2007, 5:46 pm

thanks...shes a sweetheart...we all love her beyond words! :loveU:
makasdaddy
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » January 18th, 2007, 7:56 pm

On January 18 2007, makasdaddy wrote:yahooo!! i got my avatar goin'!!!! check out maka @ 8 weeks !!! prepare to melt !

oh, oh, oh, oh, oh . . . beyond beautiful!! :o
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby makasdaddy » January 18th, 2007, 9:20 pm

thanks...maka sends her wet kisses! i love your avatar! aloha, stan
makasdaddy
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » January 18th, 2007, 10:08 pm

On January 18 2007, makasdaddy wrote:thanks...maka sends her wet kisses! i love your avatar! aloha, stan

Loooong story, lol.

I couldn't make one for the longest time, (a constant source of ribbing), and I FINALLY came up with that---but like I've told people, the minute he licks his way out, I lose my avatar. :wink:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby makasdaddy » January 18th, 2007, 10:34 pm

the minute he licks his way out, I lose my avatar.
LOL feel better now.aloha, stan
makasdaddy
Just Whelped

Postby makasdaddy » January 18th, 2007, 10:35 pm

shoot!! i keep quoting myself!!! LOLOLOL!! i gotta work on that...
makasdaddy
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Introductions