UUGGG I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Maryellen » February 14th, 2006, 10:18 pm

jesse has become a poop eater.. all the dogs are on Timberwolf. i cant get any better food then that.. they get wild salmon oil, icelandic organic kelp and probiotics in their food.. what the hell is going on?? she has been doing this for a month now.. i thought it was a passing fad, but nope, she is still eating poop.. now she threw up this morning at 4am , then again at 7am, then again before jamie came home from work. every time i go to get her away from the poop she gulps it down.. i have been cleaning up the poop even though i have a pooper man come 2x a week, just to get her to not eat it.. so what does she do? she waits till the other dogs poop and then grabs theirs... :|
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » February 14th, 2006, 10:19 pm

ewwwwwwww....

there are additives you can get at the pet store that are supposed to help.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » February 14th, 2006, 10:21 pm

i am going to get those if anyone has used them and they worked.... her behavior is going backwards like when she was a pup.. she is countersurfing too, and being a total brat... jamie came home tonight after work and she had the garbage bag all opened and garbage everywhere.. i just hope she didnt eat the strings from the pork loin i had for dinner last night...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 15th, 2006, 12:25 am

I bought a soft muzzle to put on Libby when she started doing it. Something about them being frozen triggered it in her. Now that it's warm, she isn't doing it as bad. But we're sposed to wake up to 7 degrees Friday AM -- I guess I'll put it on her again! It's not like she's outside that much that it seems mean to do it. It grosses me out SO BAD to look in her mouth and see feces stuck to her teeth and gums!! :puke:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jaime » February 15th, 2006, 9:27 am

adolph's meat tenderizer. 8)
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 15th, 2006, 10:43 am

Maryellen wrote:her behavior is going backwards like when she was a pup.. she is countersurfing too, and being a total brat... jamie came home tonight after work and she had the garbage bag all opened and garbage everywhere...

when did this start?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » February 15th, 2006, 10:49 am

a month ago.. the last time she raided the garbage was a few months ago... but this poop eating and raiding the garbage again began a month ago.. when shadow came.... i think she is trying to tell me something that she doesnt want foster pups in the house.... i have narrowed it down to every time there is a foster pup in the house she reverts back to her annoying stage of puppy hood(which mind you, she NEVER ate poop or garbage picked or countersurfed..EVER) certain foster dogs that i have at the house is when she reverts to this .. other foster dogs she doesnt...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby arlosgirl » February 15th, 2006, 3:10 pm

have u tried putting canned pumpkin in their food? that worked for me.
arlosgirl
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » February 15th, 2006, 3:11 pm

for eating poop???
Maryellen
I live here

Postby arlosgirl » February 15th, 2006, 3:15 pm

yeah, when my puppy and baby girl were doing it someone on arc (sorry cant remember name) told me to mix canned pumpkin in their food, just enought to coat food. theres something in it that makes them not touch it when it comes out the other end. it also has alot of protein in it. my dogs love it! and baby girl and puppy havent touched their poop since.
arlosgirl
Just Whelped

Postby Purple » February 15th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Hmm, I've heard of the Adolph's, but not the pumpkin...I will have to give it a try, as mine seem to enjoy poosicles this time of year, too.
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » February 15th, 2006, 3:26 pm

Maryellen wrote:again began a month ago.. when shadow came.... i think she is trying to tell me something that she doesnt want foster pups in the house.... i have narrowed it down to every time there is a foster pup in the house she reverts back to her annoying stage of puppy hood

Yup, you've got it on that one. She is 'acting out'.

Is she getting any specific alone time? More or less crate time than usual? What in her daily routine has changed?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby arlosgirl » February 15th, 2006, 3:29 pm

worked really good for me. the first time i used it and the pup pooped in the house, baby girl ran over to eat it, she took one sniff and gave me the funniest look in the world! :ROFL2:
arlosgirl
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » February 15th, 2006, 3:31 pm

biotch.. she gets ALOT of one on one time, rides with me to the stores, playtime out side alone.. she is not crated anymore,hasnt been for the past 2 years.. she is loose in the house. she gets fed first, petted first, everything first.. she only does this with certain fosters, not all. why wouldnt she act out with all of them??? her daily routine is the same it doesnt change.. i come home from work, greet her, play with her, let all the dogs out, then she goes back in the house first , and i play with her again, then the rest of the dogs come back in(except pups, they come in and go back into their crates during this time) then i change, turn on the computer, turn on the tv, take pup out of crate, then jesse goes on the couch with me while i watch tv.. the routine only changes if i go to the store then i take jesse with me.. i bring her to the store, gas station, my parents house, vet, rides with me more then the other dogs.. she also gets off leash time on the property, where we go for a walk up my neighbors driveway then back down again, then i run her in the side yard then back in the house..
she acts up with certain fosters, but not all of them.. for the most part she is fine with the fosters, its just certain ones she acts up when they are here.. shadow was the first, now addie..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby a-bull » February 15th, 2006, 9:16 pm

My Mom has a mega-poop eating Toy Fox Terrier. Same issues---loves the frozen ones, if my Mom picks them all up, she'll stalk the other dogs waiting for a freshy.

The bad news is that she has tried the pills, the additives---you name it. The pills worked for quite a while, but then she started up again.

Maybe the pills or the additives only when you get a foster? I often see this in females and in multi-dog homes. I've wondered if in some dogs it's just a natural/maternal, (certainly not to us, lol) instinct to sort of "clean the den?" In other words, to eat up the poop so as not to attract predators?? That may explain why she seems to do it when you get fosters.

I've also wondered if you sprayed one of those yucky apple sprays on the poop if it would sort of condition the dog to not eat poops---or if the dog would figure out which ones to avoid, lol . . .
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » February 16th, 2006, 12:13 am

Dogs are freakin' gross. Good thing they are so damn cute.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » February 16th, 2006, 8:51 am

saves on toilet paper . . . :D
a-bull
I live here

Postby turtle » February 16th, 2006, 1:50 pm

The meat tenderizer usually works, but be sure to get the one with the papin in it, it's an extract of the papaya and some meat tenderizers don't have it.

Are you sure it's pumpkin and not pineapple??? I've never heard of pumpkin being used for this

Many people have recommended some canned crushed pineapple added to the food, it apparently makes the stool taste bad so they don't eat it.

The vet supply places sell things like "Forbid" and others that do the same thing.

Maybe only letting her out while leashed and trying not to let her near the poop?
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » February 16th, 2006, 6:16 pm

i could leash her outside.. but then that means i have to wade thru 9 inches of snow and mud.... not a pretty sight.. and she doesnt usually poop on leash, she is quite strange... i will try it though.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby DemoDick » February 16th, 2006, 6:22 pm

This sounds like a response to what the dog perceives as added stress. I couldn't tell without seeing the dog though.

Try to find a way to increase stress relief. That may mean extra exercise, vigorous play, alone time, etc. The dog is not doing this to piss you off or communicate anything in particular. Dogs don't have the capacity to be spiteful or take revenge.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Next

Return to Training & Behavior