Notorious B.L.U.E Kennel and the decapitated dog Jan 07'

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Masspitgirl » January 13th, 2007, 12:51 am

Masspitgirl
Just Whelped

Postby luvmypitties » January 13th, 2007, 1:56 am

That is absolutley horrible. Poor Nitrous. RIP boy! Sorry things ended this way! I hope those woman pay for everything they have done!! Not only with the dog Nitrous but with all the bad breeding they have done aswell!!! People make me sick!!!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Karen » January 13th, 2007, 10:39 am

On January 12 2007, Masspitgirl wrote:http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/mashpeedog11.htm

About time Rebecca got busted. She's been bad news for a LONG time. It will be interesting to see what her defenders from 4 years ago have to say........... I'm thinking about 2 right now, gee one is a member of the forum! Imagine THAT!
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby tradewind » January 13th, 2007, 10:53 am

Here is another article from the day before. This is just a small piece of it, but my freakin state is going to hell in a handbasket right now. The proposed bills I'm posting are going to be scary, other than a few, read the titles and you'll understand my concern. I spent most of last night reading thru the new Animal Control Bill, about 46 pages, I'm only a quarter of the way thru. It has a ton of AR verbage, due to the MSPCA ( highly supported by HSUS) trying to get involved in everything in this state now. If anyone from MA wants to get involved, feel free to contact me. We have a rep. or two who might be on our side, but I think we get way too much lipservice.

Unlicensed Mashpee kennel highlights laws with no bite

By AMANDA LEHMERT
STAFF WRITER
MASHPEE - Mashpee officials knew something was up at 96 Algonquin Ave.

But the town animal control officer could do little more than peek through the tall stockade fence and give the owners of the unlicensed Notorious B.L.U.E. Kennels $50 fines for barking complaints and unregistered dogs.

Cape officials and animal advocacy groups say situations similar to the unlicensed kennel - the owners of which police say are suspects in the beheading of a pit bull in Falmouth last week - highlight how inadequate state and local laws are at holding dog breeders and kennel owners to strict standards.

The kennel owners, Rebecca Clancy and Kelly Hayden, both 24, maintain their innocence and have been charged with no crimes in regard to the decapitated dog.

But Mashpee officials say they will reinvigorate a four-year-long effort to create a town bylaw that would regulate kennels such as Notorious B.L.U.E. Kennels. The town of Sandwich is also considering beefing up its dog laws.

And just this week, the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the Animal Rescue League and the Animal Control Officers Association of Massachusetts filed legislation to update a slew of animal control laws that they say are grossly out-of-date and ineffective.

''I am hopeful that, given the circumstances of this situation, it may propel serious consideration of updating the bylaws,'' Mashpee Police Chief Rodney Collins said.

The Mashpee Health Department has a thick file of investigations into Notorious B.L.U.E. Kennels.

Although the business heavily advertised puppies for sale on the Internet, it did not have a state kennel license that would be required for anyone with more than three dogs, according to town records.

When state and town animal control officials showed up at the kennel in 2003, Clancy and Hayden allowed them to search the property.

The officials found nine adult dogs, nine puppies and a home covered in feces, according to town records.

The landlord of the property was fined $300 by the health department and the kennel owners said they got down to the maximum three dogs allowed by the state, but that brush with the law did not shut down the pair's breeding operations, according to town records.

Town officials said that without permission from Hayden and Clancy they had no authority to search the property to ensure they had the proper number of dogs - especially since the town has no kennel regulations.

''What do we do? There was no violation, other than the filth and the stench,'' said Mashpee assistant health agent Veronica Warden.

And although the state requires a kennel be licensed, the law provides no fines or punishments for people who do not have a kennel license.

''There are no consequences,'' Collins said.

In 2003, former animal control officer June Daley advocated for a strict kennel law that included fines for violations. But the effort was squashed by pet owners who felt targeted.

This time around, Collins said, any proposed changes will balance the needs of animal lovers and animals.

Cheryl Malone, the Dennis animal control officer and vice president of the Animal Control Officers Association of Massachusetts, said she has been pushing for tougher animal laws for years.

She said most kennels - both residential and commercial - follow the rules and treat their pets with the utmost care.

''But there are people who are not responsible, who are not good neighbors as dog owners and kennel owners,'' she said. ''There have to be some limits based on common sense and what is reasonable for a specific area.''

The legislation submitted this week by the animal advocacy groups would give towns the ability to inspect residential kennels and hold them to a basic standard.

The legislation does not include fines for unlicensed kennels, said Kara Holmquist, director of advocacy for the MSPCA. She said the proposed legislation is not a perfect solution.

''Ultimately, with a lot of these suggestions, it will be up to individual cities or towns to use part of the state law or make them stronger,'' Holmquist said.

Click to learn more...
Malone said any new regulations considered by Mashpee or Sandwich have to be fair and impartial.

''You have to be fair with the people who are doing the right thing and have enough power to take care of the people who are out of control,'' she said.

Amanda Lehmert

can be reached at alehmert@capecodonline.com.

(Published: January 12, 2007)

2007 bills:

Dogs:
Docket No.
H 259 Rep. Vallee Vicious Dogs
H646 Rep. Kathi-Anne Reinstein����� Increase purse for Dog and Horse Racing
H669 Rep. Gobi Guidelines for insurance Dogs harbored on Insured Property
H 690�� Rep. Gobi Dangerous Dogs
H 6792 Rep. Gobi Breeding and Sale of Dogs
H 1641 Rep. Spellane� Condemned Vicious dogs
H. 1704 Rep. Callahan� Re: Destruction of dangerous dogs
H 1435 Rep. Hill Re: Dog
H 2106� Rep Sciortino, Jr.� Protect Dogs (might be the "dog Protection Act"
of last year)
H. 3493 Rep. Webster� Vicious dogs

Cats:
H2819 Rep.� Galvin spaying and neutering cats

Animals:
H262 Rep. Welsh�� reporting vicious animals****
H770 Rep. George PetersonPrevention of Cruelty to animals
H815 Rep. Ayres Killing maiming animals
H2222 Rep. Callahan Abused animals in the case of domestic abuse
H2395 Rep. Kafka Re: animal fighting
H3326 Rep Fennell Re: transporting animals in motor vehicles
�
Docket No.
S794� Rewrite of Animal Control Laws�� (text is attached) 46 pages

S876� Establish fund for Cat and Dog "Overpopulation" control Se. Resor
(check of on tax forms. Bad idea as it suggests we have overpopulation. We
don't. So we need to oppose)

S 879 -Warranty Period for cats and dogs Sen. Resor

S1041 - Food from Cloned Animals - Sen/ Hedlund

S1031� Against Elephants� - Sen. Hedlund
tradewind
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » January 13th, 2007, 12:26 pm

Too bad a dog had to give its' life for the town of Mashpee to wake up.

Complaceny is not a legitimate excuse.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » January 13th, 2007, 3:08 pm

unreal.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby APBTgal » January 15th, 2007, 5:32 am

APBTgal

* shakes her head in Disgust.* Poor dog. :(
APBTgal
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL