Starting weight pull

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby luvmypitties » November 19th, 2006, 12:25 am

How do i get started. i have a rescued female who is a bit scared of everything. BUt she would be an awesome puller... i wont do the big trials and everything because that would be too much but just something to do at the house to put all her energy into. She pulls hard if my boyfriend is holding her across the yard and i call to her. Any tips for this special girl?
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby kogeki » January 4th, 2007, 12:50 am

How old is she?
kogeki
Just Whelped

Postby kogeki » January 4th, 2007, 12:14 pm

Well if she is old enough, get her a nice comfy harness that fits well and let her wear it a bit to get used to it. Then you can attach some kind of sled (mine is 15lbs) on the harness and let her drag that around and get used to the weight and the sounds it will make. And then you can add weight slowly from there.

Heres my Loki pulling. You can see the sled. I bought that one but you can make one out of a skateboard or other things.

arrest this man, he talks in maths, he buzzes like a fridge, he's like a detuned radio.
kogeki
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » January 4th, 2007, 12:32 pm

I skipped the sled and just have Riggs pull a tire.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby kogeki » January 4th, 2007, 12:36 pm

On January 04 2007, 11:32 AM, mnp13 wrote:I skipped the sled and just have Riggs pull a tire.

How do you attach the tire? Just a rope?
arrest this man, he talks in maths, he buzzes like a fridge, he's like a detuned radio.
kogeki
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » January 4th, 2007, 12:48 pm

I drilled a hole in the tire and put an eye bolt through it. I then used a carabeener and piece of chain to attach everything together.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby kogeki » January 4th, 2007, 12:51 pm

On January 04 2007, 11:48 AM, mnp13 wrote:I drilled a hole in the tire and put an eye bolt through it. I then used a carabeener and piece of chain to attach everything together.

Nice! I never would've thought of that.
kogeki
Just Whelped

Postby luvmypitties » January 4th, 2007, 1:30 pm

Ellie is a year old. I know I cant do heavy pulls or anything with her being so young still. I dont think she should grow much anymore so would now be a good time to get a harness?? Where are some good places to get them?
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 4th, 2007, 1:42 pm

I got mine from Missy at http://www.alaskandream.org/
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » January 4th, 2007, 1:49 pm

Great thanks so much!! I will have to wait til I get some extra money and get one for Ellie. I could use this to my advantage. Ellie is always on the go and need something to tire her out!!
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby TBF » January 9th, 2007, 6:06 pm

On November 18 2006, 11:25 PM, luvmypitties wrote:How do i get started. i have a rescued female who is a bit scared of everything. BUt she would be an awesome puller... i wont do the big trials and everything because that would be too much but just something to do at the house to put all her energy into. She pulls hard if my boyfriend is holding her across the yard and i call to her. Any tips for this special girl?

Find a local club. In general Clubs are more than willing to help people get started.
TBF
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 9th, 2007, 6:12 pm

On January 09 2007, 17:06, TBF wrote:
On November 18 2006, 11:25 PM, luvmypitties wrote:How do i get started. i have a rescued female who is a bit scared of everything. BUt she would be an awesome puller... i wont do the big trials and everything because that would be too much but just something to do at the house to put all her energy into. She pulls hard if my boyfriend is holding her across the yard and i call to her. Any tips for this special girl?

Find a local club. In general Clubs are more than willing to help people get started.

do you have weight pull clubs in your area or know where there is a central listing of some sort? I've never seen any, but that would be cool!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TBF » January 9th, 2007, 6:30 pm

On January 09 2007, 5:12 PM, mnp13 wrote:
On January 09 2007, 17:06, TBF wrote:

do you have weight pull clubs in your area or know where there is a central listing of some sort? I've never seen any, but that would be cool!

Pulldoggie.com use to have club listings. You can contact your local APBT club, they should have listings. Some breed clubs have listings. The best way would be to do a search. Weight Pull message boards are another place to look. Sites I use to have listing clubs have closed or no longer have listings.
TBF
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 9th, 2007, 6:53 pm

cool, thanks!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TBF » January 9th, 2007, 7:01 pm

I just noticed where you are located. This club is very close to you.They are really nice knowledgable people that can and will help you. They also have club listings.

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/GHAPBTC/
TBF
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvmypitties » January 10th, 2007, 11:05 am

I am pretty sure the pitbull club I am in will have some info. I am going to the next meet/show in May so i am sure I will have tons of questions for them there.
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Rocks » March 19th, 2007, 9:27 pm

On January 10 2007, 10:05 AM, luvmypitties wrote:I am pretty sure the pitbull club I am in will have some info. I am going to the next meet/show in May so i am sure I will have tons of questions for them there.

Hi Tina,

I am interested in the APBT Club in the area. Is there a web site or any additional information pertaining to a club in the NOVA area?

Thanks,
-Tony
Rocks
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » May 1st, 2007, 5:01 pm

Michelle, did you find any clubs in the Rochester area? I'm going to order a harness for Yoda to see if it is something he would enjoy.

On January 09 2007, mnp13 wrote:cool, thanks!
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » May 3rd, 2007, 12:43 pm

no, I didn't. However, you are welcome to try Riggs' harness with Yoda if you want. They are about the same size and you might as well see if he likes it before you spend 50 bucks.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » May 3rd, 2007, 1:33 pm

On May 03 2007, mnp13 wrote:no, I didn't. However, you are welcome to try Riggs' harness with Yoda if you want. They are about the same size and you might as well see if he likes it before you spend 50 bucks.

Wow, that would be a huge help. I was worried about ordering one and Yoda not enjoying it. If the offer still stands I would really appreciate it.
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Return to Sports