I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby maberi » July 16th, 2010, 12:58 pm

I just saw the bill on my lunch break

How in the hell do antibiotics cost $53.00? :puke:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby maberi » July 16th, 2010, 1:12 pm

BTW - Can I use Metacam instead of Rimydal? I have almost an entire bottle of Metacam at home but they prescribed Rimydal for Earl for an anti-inflammtory
maberi

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » July 16th, 2010, 1:50 pm

maberi wrote:How in the hell do antibiotics cost $53.00? :puke:

Well which one did you get?? Trust me when I say there are more expensive ones!!! :wink:

maberi wrote:BTW - Can I use Metacam instead of Rimydal? I have almost an entire bottle of Metacam at home but they prescribed Rimydal for Earl for an anti-inflammtory

They are both NSAID's that work slightly different. I think you should be fine. Have you used Rimadyl or Metacam with Earl before? Sometimes one works better than the other.

Hope Earl feels better!!
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » July 16th, 2010, 2:03 pm

PoodleMaMaKat wrote:Well which one did you get?? Trust me when I say there are more expensive ones!!! :wink:

Something-"cap" I think??? Can't remember off the top of my head

They are both NSAID's that work slightly different. I think you should be fine. Have you used Rimadyl or Metacam with Earl before? Sometimes one works better than the other.

Earl has actually done better on Metacam vs Rimadyl in the past (Rimadyl gave him the sh!ts). Just wanted to make sure... Thanks for the info :wink:
maberi

Postby amazincc » July 16th, 2010, 2:25 pm

maberi wrote:I just saw the bill on my lunch break

How in the hell do antibiotics cost $53.00? :puke:

Damn... I thought $40 for two weeks worth of Prednisone AND Cephalexin for Faust was expensive... :shock:

Butt scratches to Earl... hope he feels better soon!
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » July 16th, 2010, 3:06 pm

maberi wrote:Earl has actually done better on Metacam vs Rimadyl in the past (Rimadyl gave him the sh!ts). Just wanted to make sure... Thanks for the info :wink:

Metacam tends to be easier on the stomach. Thats why a lot of humans prefer the human version.

Caps doesn't really help :wink: I know I'm a crazy drug person...

amazincc wrote:Damn... I thought $40 for two weeks worth of Prednisone AND Cephalexin for Faust was expensive... :shock:

$40 for prednisone and Cephalexin!!! WHOA!!! :o

Sometimes if you ask for a perscription and take it to a people pharmacy it can be less expensive, or not. I have a problem with Kodi because he's only 14lbs and usually he needs a small dose. The $4 generic programs are great. I got Kodi's ear drops for $4 insted of the almost $30 the vet wanted to charge me, exact same thing. You can print the list online and take them with you if you know you're going to be sent home with some drugs. Prednisone and Cephalexin are both on that list. (Sorry)
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » July 16th, 2010, 5:01 pm

It'd cost about $70 for 3 weeks of cephalexin here. Every time I see someone from the states say that something is expensive and list the cost I darn near choke - not even close to what meds or other services cost here, and vet. services here are regulated so they all cost more or less the same.

Matt - do not mix Metacam and Rimadyl; I know you didn't say you were going to do that, but if you've already given one or the other then I believe - from what I recall - that the dog's body needs at least a few days in between. Mixing 2 NSAIDS can cause liver issues(or failure) and severe bleeding Gastric Ulcers.
I don't see why you couldn't use the Metacam you already have, you'll just need to get a dose for Earl specifically from the Vet, and they shoud be able to do that without charge I think.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » July 16th, 2010, 6:01 pm

How much does Earl weigh? Buford is also on Metacam and because he's so big (85 lbs or so) my vet is able to prescribe the people version at the pharmacy which was only $4 for 20, 7.5mg tablets. And it's a pill which I find is a lot less messy than the liquid.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby iluvk9 » July 16th, 2010, 8:55 pm

PoodleMaMaKat wrote:I know I'm a crazy drug person...

Crazy, maybe. Helpful, always. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » July 18th, 2010, 3:45 pm

I'd just tell your vet you've got the metacam. Usually if our clients have pain meds at home we let them use them plus metacam is usually easier on the guts.

Also - be GLAD it's only $50 for the antibiotics. You should ask them what a weeks worth of zeniquin for a dog his size would be. That stuff is crazy expensive.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby furever_pit » July 18th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Poor Earl.

When Dylan broke one of his premolars I had to get it extracted. He got Metacam for four days after the surgery and took some time off of tug and that kind of thing. I believe he was on Clavamox for two weeks also.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Ino » July 24th, 2010, 9:35 pm

How is Earl healing up? That looks painful- I don't know how they tolerate injuries so well!!!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » July 25th, 2010, 11:07 am

Ino wrote:How is Earl healing up? That looks painful- I don't know how they tolerate injuries so well!!!

Earl is fine. They removed the rest of the tooth in front and also removed a molar in the back that was also cracked
maberi

Postby PetieMarie22 » July 26th, 2010, 10:15 am

Glad to hear everything went smoothly.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous