Food and Allergies- need opinions

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 31st, 2010, 12:45 am

Sidney has severe environmental allergies. Her worst allergies are mites, specifically storage mites (which are found in kibble).

For the past couple years I have been fighting a tough battle. We switched to pre-made, ground raw and she showed a little improvement. However, I do not love feeding raw and it is a bit difficult for me to get a good variety of foods. She can eat canned food without issues as well, so she gets a canned meal here and there.

Once we started Atopica, things were the best they had ever been. She made HUGE progress and is like a brand new dog.

So, I thought since the Atopica helped so much, I might be able to switch her back to kibble. I tired a few months ago giving her one meal a day Healthwise chicken/oatmeal, since that's what I feed the other dogs. Within a day she was itching and I put the idea on the backburner. Now I'm running out of raw again and thought I could try a grain-free kibble instead. Last week I picked up a bag of TOTW bison/venison to try it out. She has been sporadically getting a kibble meal. I have noticed her itching a lot more again.

So my question to you is this: should I try a different kibble and see if I can find one that works or continue the raw that I'm not completely comfortable with but she seems ok on...??
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby BullyLady » January 31st, 2010, 3:14 am

I'm a little confused on why you aren't comfortable with raw? Is it because you find it icky (me too!) or is there a health concern involved?

I only ask because, if it's because you are icked out by it.... I would have to say stick with it anyways. Shelby grew up a raw dog, but I'm a vegetarian and it became increasingly hard for me to feed raw, to the point where I spent my entire meal packing time dry heaving, bleh. I put her on kibble for about four months over the summer and it was a disaster. She got an aural hematoma and the poor thing was itchy all over ALL the time. She also kept getting staph infections on her belly that became increasingly hard to clear up. She has been back on raw since early December and her symptoms have drastically decreased. We actually have been working to clear up this current staph infection since December, but it is now almost totally gone and I think once it's gone we will be finished with them.

Anyways.... all that to say, if the raw aversion is an ick thing, your dog would probably much appreciate it if you would feed it anyways, as she will feel better. And you will feel better for seeing her feel better, I know I do.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » January 31st, 2010, 7:02 am

Hm, what about "home" cooked? :|

I know that many of the kibble companies actually make recipes to give to clients...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 31st, 2010, 9:47 am

The raw isn't the ick factor. It's mainly a couple things. I'm never sure I'm doing it RIGHT. That's why the premade, and still I'm not sure she's getting all that she needs. There is so much to know about it and I know I don't know enough. And I'm really just not comfortable with uncooked meat due to the microorganisms and having a bird around too. I don't exactly trust that it is safe.
And aside form that, it is difficult for me to get a good variety of foods for her here. I have to order online and have them shipped or drive hours to get it and I simply don't have the time or resources to do that. :(

As far as homemade-- if I could find a recipe that is easy enough, I was sure I could do right, and wasn't cost prohibitive I would certainly do that for her. I believe the last time I looked into it, it cost a lot more that raw feeding (which is about our food budget limit for her since the Atopica is super expensive too)
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby hugapitbull » January 31st, 2010, 10:04 am

They generally recommend a single source protein and single source carb for allergy control. We used Royal Canin duck & potato for years and have recently switched to Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison. I've had good results with both. The Natural Balance is not as expensive and is rated higher than the Royal Canin, and is also more available - you don't have to get it from a vet. I'd try a small bag of the NB and see what happens.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 31st, 2010, 10:48 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Should I just pick up a bag and try it, or should I wait and do no kibble for a while first? I know we can get NB here, but not sure about Royal Canin. Is it the LID formula?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby hugapitbull » January 31st, 2010, 10:56 am

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. Should I just pick up a bag and try it, or should I wait and do no kibble for a while first? I know we can get NB here, but not sure about Royal Canin. Is it the LID formula?

It is the LID. If you recently had an itchy episode, I would do no kibble until it is under control, otherwise you may not get true results.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 31st, 2010, 11:31 am

Ok-- raw and canned until she's feeling better. Then we will try LID. :) Thank you.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » January 31st, 2010, 1:09 pm

Shanna failed to mention that Trouble was on Atopica for several years until she developed cancer.
During the Atopica period we gave her medication with peanut butter but later discovered that to be one of the main sources of her allergy's. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » January 31st, 2010, 3:22 pm

Yes, all meds with cream cheese now. And Duke gets a placebo dab just so they both get a bite :rolleyes2:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 31st, 2010, 6:43 pm

I'm looking at recipes for homecooked, but it seems like a lot of work and ingredients... and expensive.
Anyone have experience with homecooked?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby hugapitbull » January 31st, 2010, 7:11 pm

I found one once that had a bag of frozen veggies or fresh chopped veggies and a meat source. It's been a really long time, I don't remember if you added supplements or not. I'm thinking you would have to, that doesn't sound well rounded.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » January 31st, 2010, 7:44 pm

Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » January 31st, 2010, 7:57 pm

hugapitbull wrote:They generally recommend a single source protein and single source carb for allergy control. We used Royal Canin duck & potato for years and have recently switched to Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison. I've had good results with both. The Natural Balance is not as expensive and is rated higher than the Royal Canin, and is also more available - you don't have to get it from a vet. I'd try a small bag of the NB and see what happens.

When Dar was having issues earlier this year, Christine recommended the Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Duck.......BOTH Dogs eat that now, instead of Innova----there's canned and dry kibble--plus treats that stay within the guidelines!!
Both dogs are doing much better!!

Thanks again, Christine!!! :wink:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby dlynne1123 » January 31st, 2010, 8:20 pm

hugapitbull wrote:They generally recommend a single source protein and single source carb for allergy control. We used Royal Canin duck & potato for years and have recently switched to Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison. I've had good results with both. The Natural Balance is not as expensive and is rated higher than the Royal Canin, and is also more available - you don't have to get it from a vet. I'd try a small bag of the NB and see what happens.

We have a fwe clients rave about the Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato or Duck and Rice. Over the counter, not as expensive at the Royal Canin but still a bonified 'limited antigen' diet. (The fish stinks! but works)
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 31st, 2010, 11:46 pm

I'm thinking, though, that maybe it is not the ingredients-- just the mites in the kibble.
?
Can storing it in the fridge minimize this issue?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » February 1st, 2010, 12:00 am

might work to store it in containers in the freezer...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » February 1st, 2010, 12:42 am

Okay... there are mites in kibble??? Seriously??? :shock: :o
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » February 1st, 2010, 4:20 am

There are mites everywhere :neutral: They are just so tiny you don't see them.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blabsforbullies » February 1st, 2010, 9:26 am

Malli wrote:There are mites everywhere :neutral: They are just so tiny you don't see them.

That's just it... they are everywhere >( .... not just in food (and not just in dry kibble... in EVERY type of food). They are in the environment, and there is virtually NO way to get rid of them, unfortunately. :sad2: A lot of animals that are allergic to storage mites are also allergic to dust mites, etc. :(
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Next

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies