? About FHO Surgery

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Purple » February 9th, 2006, 9:47 pm

Hopscotch has had FHO surgery on both hips. The first at three months, after she was hit by a motorcycle, and the opposite hip, this past summer at a year and a half. She's very active, she'll play with a ball for hours in the yard. Weather permitting, we do light weight pull, and she loves agility. She will swim all summer. I've noticed when she runs down the basement steps, she kinda favors her left leg, other than that, she seems pain free. She has a very high energy level.
My question is: What is the life expectancy of FHO? Will she live a full lifetime? Should I have her on supplements? Is there more I can do for her?
Purple
I live here

Postby Miakoda » February 9th, 2006, 9:50 pm

She should live a normal life expectency as that's what studies show. However, these dogs will experience additional "ailments" later in life just due to the abnormal joint.

Wrigley still has a funky gait but that's ok b/c he never ran before the sx & now he runs around all day.

I suggest putting her on a glucosamine & chondroitin supplement. It helps the joints especially the "new" ones & has made a difference in Wrigley.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Purple » February 9th, 2006, 10:02 pm

I was thinking of putting her on the supplement....can you recomend a good one, or are they all about the same?
Purple
I live here

Postby Purple » February 9th, 2006, 10:03 pm

And what additional ailments....hip problems? (Dumb question, huh?)
Purple
I live here

Postby Marinepits » February 9th, 2006, 10:37 pm

I'd be interested in supplement suggestions, too!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Miakoda » February 10th, 2006, 12:14 am

Although most (I said most, not all) are the same, they have lots out there that have a bunch of additives added to them. I like to find one that has the basics: glucosamine, chondroitin, & liver to make it yummy going down. I'm not sure of the brand I use, I'll have to find the label as it came off the bottle but it's in the pantry somewhere. And it's really not bad at all price wise. For Wrigley's size dosage (100lbs) it costs me about $25-30 a month. Definitely worth it.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 10th, 2006, 8:10 am

Was FHO done because the femurs were crushed or was she too young for hip replacement at the time .... just curious

Maryellen has a link to a good suppliment she usues .... give her a shout

I know there is a yahoo group for ortho dog questions .... I've heard it is good. You'd have to google it. I don't have the link
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Purple » February 10th, 2006, 10:52 am

The first FHO was done because the femur was crushed. The second one, well, she was limping, and in a bit of pain. She was diagnosed with dysplasia and they recommended the FHO.
Purple
I live here

Postby Purple » February 10th, 2006, 11:29 am

How's this for a supplement?

PTLARD250
Arthogen for Dogs Chew Tabs 250ct $49.95 $44.95 QTY:

COMPARE TO COSEQUIN

Arthogen for Dogs is scientifically formulated with a special pet friendly blend of Glucosamine HCl & Chondroitin Sulfate. It also contains a comprehensive, nutritious and highly effective solution that provides the necessary nutrients needed for your pet's health, coupled with a beef and cheese flavor that dogs love. With the introduction of Arthogen, pet owners now have the ability to provide their pets with the same great results of comparable formulas, at a fraction of the price.

Ingredients:
Glucosamine HCL 500mg
Chondroitin Sulfate 400mg
Vitamin C 33mg
Manganese 5mg

Other Ingredients:
Maltodextrin, Brewer's Yeast, Cellulose, Beef Flavor, Cheese Flavor, Stearic Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Xanthan Gum

Recommended Dosage:
Up to 24 lbs. - 1/2 Tab Daily
25 - 49 lbs. - 1 Daily
50 - 100 lbs. - 1-2 Daily
Over 100 lbs. - 2 Daily
Purple
I live here

Postby turtle » February 10th, 2006, 11:33 am

I've heard that the Synflex liquid is one of the best joint supplements.

The liquid is better because it is easier to absorb, thus it works faster.

Ask Maryellen or Red, they both use it and it has made a huge difference with both of their dogs. Maryellen has a good source to get from, too.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Kangas Mommy » February 12th, 2006, 10:21 am

Vicky that looks like a good one. It is close to cosequin which they say is the best. I actually get mine at Wal-Mart. A big bottle is only 15 bucks. (people stuff) Also they have good prices on salmon oil. I have my dogs on both of those to hopefully avoid problems....Good Luck and keep in mind it takes a good 2-3 weeks to show any improvement with glucosamines alone. Hope Hopscotch feels better!
Kangas Mommy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 12th, 2006, 10:36 am

Here is the link to the yahoo group I was talking about
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Miakoda » February 16th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Wrigley aslo gets Adequan injections every month, but I can promise it's quite expensive (& I get to buy the bottles at the clinic's cost).
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » February 16th, 2006, 7:11 pm

i use Syn Flex on my rott, he is 11 and 2 years ago couldnt walk good or get up.. on the synflex he recovered so good he started jumping my 3 foot deck fence and chased the deer... i put a topic in the health section here to get the synflex. my friend in Newhampshire sells it.. if you are connected to rescue she gives a discount..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » February 16th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Maryellen
I live here

Postby Purple » February 16th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Thanks! I am going to get Purple on a supplement, too....thanks again!
Purple
I live here

Postby Purple » February 18th, 2006, 12:47 pm

ME, I would like to buy syn-flex for Hopscotch, does your friend have a site?
Purple
I live here

Postby odnarb » February 26th, 2006, 3:19 pm

I don't mean for this to be snarky, but I've seen pics of your dogs.

The worst thing for her is all of the extra weight she's carrying around on those false joints. Have you tried slimming her down?
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby Purple » February 26th, 2006, 5:19 pm

You can be snarky, everyone is slimming down except Dexter....he seems to be gaining, and the vet doesn't think it's his thyroid...anyhow, Hopscotch isn't really fat, and because of the FHO, cannot get fat.....maybe I'm wrong, here is a pic from last summer....
what do you think....snarkey is ok when it comes to their health!

Purple
I live here

Postby odnarb » February 26th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Purple wrote:You can be snarky, everyone is slimming down except Dexter....he seems to be gaining, and the vet doesn't think it's his thyroid...anyhow, Hopscotch isn't really fat, and because of the FHO, cannot get fat.....maybe I'm wrong, here is a pic from last summer....
what do you think....snarkey is ok when it comes to their health!

I still think she's very pudgy! If I had a dog that had a unilateral FHO, much less bilateral, I wouldn't stop slimming until I saw ribs. And, I just don't just mean the last two. Pretend she's an ADBA conformation dog :wink:
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health