Darlene Linguine hurt her leg!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » December 25th, 2006, 9:58 am

I am so upset! :(

She had her right cruicate repaired 4/05 and her left on 7/04. It is her left that she is holding up and barely putting weight on.

I don't know what happened. She was outside yesterday around noon, and came in limping.

I keep icing it and kept her off of it. I carry her when she has to go out.
I don't see any real swelling. :|

We were going on vacation Weds, but I am cancelling because I won't let her stay in a kennel if she is in this condition (even if they are wonderful there).

I will get her into my Vet tomorrow as soon as he opens. I don't trust the ER Vet near me; they are idiots and almost killed Truman when he had kennel cough.

I don't have any dog anti-inflamatory meds at home. Just Glyco-flex, (glucosomine mixture) which she gets every day.

Any suggestions on what else I can do for now?

Thanks ~

:shocker:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » December 25th, 2006, 10:08 am

:shock: Holy crap!

Is she still limping this morning?

You can give her one regular strength buffered aspirin twice a day -- that's what we use if we're out of dog pain meds. Just don't mix it with other pain meds unless your vet tells you it's okay.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » December 25th, 2006, 10:18 am

Yes, she is putting a LITTLE weight on it, but not much. How much aspirin for a 45 pound dog?

Thank you, Jenn. I am going crazy here.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » December 25th, 2006, 10:26 am

Oh, she's smaller than I thought -- try giving her one-half of a regular strength buffered aspirin.

http://www.always-healthy-people-and-pe ... -dogs.html

Common Non Prescription Aspirin
(ascetylsalicylic acid) Products

Ascriptin* in 325 mg buffered tablets
Genuine Bayer* Aspirin in 325 mg tablets

Extra Strength Bayer in 500 mg tablets and caplets

Bayer Children's Chewable in 81 mg tablets

St Joseph's* Chewable in 81 mg tablets

Canine Aspirin chewable preparations in 120 mg or 600 mg tablets

Generic brands in 325 mg and 81 mg tablets.

All non prescription drug packaging must clearly list the amount of active ingredient as milligrams per capsule or tablet according to FDA rules. Determine dose using this information.

So, a 10 lb dog in good health given 5 mg per pound of body weight, would require 50 mg or less than 1/4 regular aspirin tablet or about 2/3 child aspirin tablet every 8 - 12 hours.

A 35 lb dog in good health given 5 mg per pound of body weight would require about 175 mg or less than 1/2 adult or about 2 children's tablets every 8 - 12 hours.

Only larger dogs, over 65 lbs and in good health could ever safely be given a whole regular aspirin ONCE in 8 hours.

Never give any product without first reading the label to determine that aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is the ONLY ingredient and how many milligrams are in each tablet. Aspirin combined with antihistamines, cough suppressants or other active ingredients can be extremely TOXIC to DOGS. Never give an allergy product. ONLY give pure aspirin.

Acetylsalicylic acid can severely damage cats.
NEVER give aspirin in any form to cats
unless prescribed by that cat's regular veterinarian.
Please read this important Disclaimer before taking any action.

Watch for Aspirin Side Effects
Although aspirin is widely considered the safest choice of readily available NSAIDs for use in dogs, certain precautions are still necessary.
While gastric irritation is not as common in dogs as in humans, it does occur in many dogs. Stomach bleeding can result, especially after long term use. Ulcers and digestive tract perforation have also been reported. Always give asprin with food.

If a dog vomits after taking aspirin even with food, consult your vet about a more appropriate pain medicine for that dog.

Some veterinarians recommend giving only enteric coated aspirin to avoid an upset stomach. This is rarely practical for home use since cutting a tablet to achieve the correct dose with an over the counter product breaks the enteric coating.

Many vets prefer that their patients only be given buffered aspirin products such as Ecotrin* or Ascriptin*. This may help to avoid digestive tract distress and lessen the chance of developing ulcers.

There is mounting evidence in human studies that long term daily use of aspirin therapy (even with baby aspirin) is contributing to early onset blindness in certain individuals. Even though studies specifically on dogs are not yet available, you should be aware of this possible danger. We will post updates as they become available.

No Safe Aspirin Dosage for Dogs During Pregnancy
There is no safe aspirin dosage for dogs during pregnancy or lactation. Aspirin puts unborn and young puppies at risk for many problems. Do not give acetylsalicylic acid to pregnant or nursing dogs.

*Ascriptin, Bayer, Ecotrin, and St Joseph's are Registered Trademarks. These products are manufactured and marketed for human use only. You are completely responsible for the results of any other use you make of them. No one else is liable in any way for any damage that may occur. Only you. The information provided on this site is for educational purposes only.

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » December 25th, 2006, 10:28 am

THANK YOU! I am going to go buy it now. I don't even have freaking aspirin in my house!

I owe you one, Jenn~
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » December 25th, 2006, 10:30 am

You're welcome! :wink:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » December 25th, 2006, 12:11 pm

On December 25 2006, iluvk9 wrote:THANK YOU! I am going to go buy it now. I don't even have freaking aspirin in my house!

I owe you one, Jenn~

We keep baby aspirin in the house just for the dogs. Remember to feed her with it so her stomach doesn't get too irritated with it!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » December 25th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Thank you~ I gave her canned food with it.

She seems to be "perkier, an hour after the aspirin.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » December 25th, 2006, 12:51 pm

I would still keep her quiet and possibly crated until your vet can see her tomorrow. And make sure you tell the vet she had aspirin today before s/he prescribes any other pain med.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » December 25th, 2006, 2:13 pm

On December 25 2006, Marinepits wrote:I would still keep her quiet and possibly crated until your vet can see her tomorrow. And make sure you tell the vet she had aspirin today before s/he prescribes any other pain med.

Okay ~ thanks! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » December 25th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Poor Darlene! Hopefully she just pulled something and didn't re-injure her cruciate :( Let us know how it goes tomorrow.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby iluvk9 » December 25th, 2006, 4:18 pm

On December 25 2006, SisMorphine wrote:Poor Darlene! Hopefully she just pulled something and didn't re-injure her cruciate :( Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

I wasn't sure if she could "just pull something" there. I hope that is what she did.

Right now she is cautiously walking on the leg. Very slow and favoring it.

Thanks everyone! :greenWave:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » December 25th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Poor baby, I hope she feels better soon
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » December 25th, 2006, 6:26 pm

She has been in her crate most of the afternoon. I keep getting "THE LOOK" from her. So, I moved her crate into the kitchen so she can be near the action. Actually, it is Truman's crate, so it is bigger than my refrigerator.

Darlene is putting weight on the leg when she goes out to pee. At least I feel like there is some improvement.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby luvmyangels » December 25th, 2006, 11:08 pm

I am so sorry that Darlene is not feeling well. I wish I had something for her because I'd run out and give it to you. Sorry. Good luck.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » December 25th, 2006, 11:17 pm

On December 25 2006, luvmyangels wrote:I am so sorry that Darlene is not feeling well. I wish I had something for her because I'd run out and give it to you. Sorry. Good luck.

You are so sweet! :greenWave:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » December 26th, 2006, 10:31 am

10:30 appointment ~ I am off! :greenWave: Send positive thoughts Darlene's way, please.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » December 26th, 2006, 10:36 am

Sending good thougghts!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby iluvk9 » December 26th, 2006, 12:46 pm

GOOD NEWS! :clap:

Vet manipulated her knee and said her repaired cruciate is fine. She probably has a bruise from rough-housing with Truman.

She is on Rimadyl for a week. Leash walked only and crated unless I can have her on a leash next to me.

I spoke to the kennel and I am confident she will be okay there for a few days while we go on vacation.My vet uses them for his dog, also. Actually, she will probably get more rest at the kennel than at my house.

Ironically, she limped INTO the vet's office; didn't limp while THERE, but limped to the car. I made the Vet peek out his window to watch her limp.

:) Thank you, everyone!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » December 26th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Yay!!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health