Raw Food

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » December 27th, 2006, 3:15 pm

On December 27 2006, 13:23, luvmypitties wrote:Where do you shop?? I was able to make 5 days worth with the meat I bought. and then how ever many chicken quarters I have.

I like cheap as I am a 20 year old living on my own!!! it was 20cents a pound I think for the meat. i paid 9.40 for the 5.5 pound meat!

ETA: Forgot to add I shopped at wal-mart!

I go to the ghetto butcher shop, everything is cheap there. Do you have an Aldi's or other store like that in your area?

.20 a pound is CHEAP!!! why did all that food run you $50 then?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » December 27th, 2006, 3:18 pm

On December 27 2006, 2:15 PM, mnp13 wrote:
On December 27 2006, 13:23, luvmypitties wrote:Where do you shop?? I was able to make 5 days worth with the meat I bought. and then how ever many chicken quarters I have.

I like cheap as I am a 20 year old living on my own!!! it was 20cents a pound I think for the meat. i paid 9.40 for the 5.5 pound meat!

ETA: Forgot to add I shopped at wal-mart!

I go to the ghetto butcher shop, everything is cheap there. Do you have an Aldi's or other store like that in your area?

.20 a pound is CHEAP!!! why did all that food run you $50 then?

Is meat cheap at Aldi's?
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » December 27th, 2006, 3:19 pm

On December 27 2006, 14:18, katiek0417 wrote:Is meat cheap at Aldi's?

Yup, the beef is in tubes in the freezer section, and there are chicken pieces as well, but I think they have salt added to the chicken. I get canned veggies for the dogs there as well.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » December 27th, 2006, 3:22 pm

I've also started to ask the local markets to start holding the meat that they can't really sell to humans anymore (past the sell by date)...since I can still feed that to the dogs...they said they'd sell it to me 75% off...
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby cheekymunkee » December 27th, 2006, 3:23 pm

OT but I am sorry Katie, you have to use your old avatar because I have NO idea who you are without it! :wink:

I think she miscalculated. And I think she is including the scale in the amount the paid. Going by what I pay at Walmart for similar items she is about right on what she spent. The cheaper ground meat here is about $1.83 a pound, $4.70 for the chicken quarters, $2 each for the yogurt.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmypitties » December 27th, 2006, 3:26 pm

I am not sure why it costed so much. I bought a scale as well but that was 8 dollars. Other than that all thats on the table is all I bought. What else is considered cheap?? I dont even know what to look for. I think we do have a latin food store I will check there. I am embarrassed that I used my wal-mart gift card (christmas present) all on meat for my dogs when I could have bought more. :( I feel ridiculous actually. Hopefully I will do better next time.

No we dont have an aldi's, in fact i have never heard of it.

Also are my amounts right? I used that calculator thing... I am feeding Ellie a pound and a half and Jake gets two and a quarter pounds.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » December 27th, 2006, 3:30 pm

On December 27 2006, 2:23 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:OT but I am sorry Katie, you have to use your old avatar because I have NO idea who you are without it! :wink:

:| I can't find the old one....besides, isn't it fun to see mean, old Jue wearing antlers????
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby cheekymunkee » December 27th, 2006, 3:37 pm

On December 27 2006, 2:26 PM, luvmypitties wrote:I am not sure why it costed so much. I bought a scale as well but that was 8 dollars. Other than that all thats on the table is all I bought. What else is considered cheap?? I dont even know what to look for. I think we do have a latin food store I will check there. I am embarrassed that I used my wal-mart gift card (christmas present) all on meat for my dogs when I could have bought more. :( I feel ridiculous actually. Hopefully I will do better next time.

No we dont have an aldi's, in fact i have never heard of it.

Also are my amounts right? I used that calculator thing... I am feeding Ellie a pound and a half and Jake gets two and a quarter pounds.

DO NOT FEEL BAD!!!! You did good for your first time!! You should be proud!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » December 27th, 2006, 3:47 pm

You did fine. I think that's a lot of meat for each dog, but it may be PERFECT for your dogs. You'll know what is best after a little experimentation.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » December 27th, 2006, 3:53 pm

What should I look for to know if it is too much for them? while putting the meat in seperate baggies I thought it looked to be a lot too... I am not sure what to look for in whether or not it is enough or too much?
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » December 27th, 2006, 4:00 pm

On December 27 2006, 14:53, luvmypitties wrote:What should I look for to know if it is too much for them? while putting the meat in seperate baggies I thought it looked to be a lot too... I am not sure what to look for in whether or not it is enough or too much?

They will start getting fat if they are eating too much. :wink:

On extra busy days my dogs get extra food. High stress and high activity take a lot out of dogs, especially ones that are not carrying much extra weight. On the weekends we go to camp they get double meals spaced an hour apart. Running almost non-stop for two straight days mandates it. You can almost watch their ribs appear! (no not literally...)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » December 27th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Well I think Jake is a bit chunky. maybe I should cut back on his food?? I will post pictures of him later and see if maybe you guys can see if you think he is at a good weight. He is an old man at 6-7 years old. Ellie looks to be in ADBA weight condition. To me she looks thin but she is not underweight I dont think.
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » December 27th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Pictures can be VERY deciving when talking about weight.

Please post a picture taken from directly above on a contrasting surface so the body shape is visible. That, in my opinion, is a better way to judge weight because you can see rib bumps, the waist taper, some muscle, etc.

Side shots, with the exception of seeing taper and general shape are not good representations of the dog because lighting can hide or excentuate some parts of the body.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Zoeysmom » December 27th, 2006, 9:19 pm

can anyone point me towards any goodlinks for raw feeding cats? and perhaps some recipes? I think feeding my cats raw would make a huge difference...especially in the litter box
...don't breed or buy, while shelter animals die...
...if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet...
...there is no such thing as a "Christmas puppy or kitten", an animal companion is forever...
...Rap sucks, Metal Rules...
...Let there be rock baby!!...
Zoeysmom
Just Whelped

Postby luvmypitties » December 28th, 2006, 12:34 am

Ok here are some pictures for opinions of weight.

Jake

From up top

Side View

Ellie
From up top

Let me know what you think... if you need more pictures or at different angles I can make it happen
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » December 28th, 2006, 12:43 am

IMHO Jake is overweight. Do you have a side pic of Ellie?

And how old are the two of them?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmypitties » December 28th, 2006, 1:10 am

I thought Jake was overweight too... poor fat guy.

Jake is guessed to be 6-7 years old. Ellie is maybe a month over 1 year (I got her March 17 and she was 4-4 1/2 months old).

Here is a side view of ellie. She is hard to photograph as she is always moving!!

Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » December 28th, 2006, 11:03 am

Jake definately needs to take some weight off. Ellie looks much better. He's older so may "need" some extra weight to look healthy, but use her as a goal for his weight (if that makes sense)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » December 28th, 2006, 1:12 pm

Ellie looks good. Take her sillouette as a guideline for Jake: he should have a tuck like she does and there should be more definition between his back and his hips. When you feed the raw just keep an eye on his weight and if he starts to gain then definitely feed him less. You may find you're feeding Ellie more than him, but she is young with a faster metabolism.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmypitties » December 29th, 2006, 11:27 am

OK as it is agreed that Jake is a fat man...lol.. how much should I feed him now? I am feeding him 2 1/4 pounds. should I go down to like 1 3/4 pounds or is that too much??

Question abut chicken... When I give them the chicken quarters I dont cut anything up just plop it down for them??
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health