what bones

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby katostud » December 6th, 2006, 3:41 pm

im going to the meat market to get my 19 week old pup some bones. what ones are the best to get?
katostud
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » December 6th, 2006, 3:48 pm

Marrow bones. If they have a cow femur, have them cut it down to 2 or 3 inch wide pieces. That should be small enough.

I dont think puppies should be chewing really hard stuff though - so check that with some of the puppy experts on here!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » December 6th, 2006, 3:49 pm

For a little one like that I would get a big juicy marrow ( soup bone) bone. Make sure it is too big for her to swallow & choke on. She just needs to be able to chew on it, not eat it. if you want her to be able to eat it I would get some chicken legs or wings, soft bones that won't damage her teeth.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katostud » December 6th, 2006, 3:54 pm

what else do u guys suggest i let him chew on? he loves pig ears but i dont give him much cuz i dont want him to get the runs. hes teething right now also
katostud
Just Whelped

Postby Magnolia618 » December 6th, 2006, 4:03 pm

a chicken leg quarter would be great :|
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » December 6th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Truthfully, by looking at the face in your avatar, I think you should jsut send her to me & let me deal with her. :wink: She is too cute!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » December 6th, 2006, 4:05 pm

I thought you weren't supposed to give hard things to chew on when they are teething?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » December 6th, 2006, 4:08 pm

I always have. :| I've always given hard bones for them to teeth on, nothing that they can actually break though.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katostud » December 6th, 2006, 4:34 pm

ok so bones are good or bad for a teething pup? im confused. lol
katostud
Just Whelped

Postby ellie@ny » December 6th, 2006, 5:28 pm

Honestly when my dogs were youngsters I didn't give them hard bones when they were teething...I'm not sure if it's good or bad but I just choosed to not to.
But I got them long bully sticks(over 10")never the braided one because if you have a hard chewer it can break it to pieces and swallow the pieces(happened with Nic-Nic...then I found them in his poop,3 inch long ones,scarred the heck out of me).
Anyway when they were pups the bully stick was good for a week!Then they finished,now less then 20 minutes. :x Wonder why don't I get them anymore....
With the marrow bones be carefull,cause the marrow can cause huge diaherria,I'm personally give it to them without.
Hope it helps!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby katostud » December 6th, 2006, 7:15 pm

i got hooked up at the meat market. i got a 4 inch marrow bone a big knuckle bone and a whole femur bone with a knuckle on it for 3 bucks
katostud
Just Whelped

Postby katostud » December 7th, 2006, 5:18 pm

is it alright 4 dogs to eat the knuckle bones or just chew on them?
katostud
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » December 7th, 2006, 6:10 pm

it is ok for them to eat the bones, as long as they don't choke. Just keep an eye on her when she has bones

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Iris » December 8th, 2006, 4:25 pm

I've always kept plenty of bones for the dogs to chew - for small puppies, teething pups, adults, the oldies... Never had any problems of any kind.
Iris
Just Whelped

Postby luvmypitties » December 9th, 2006, 11:45 pm

I was always told that puppies need the bones or hard things to chew on to help set the teeth in the jaw correctly.... as a wild dog would. They are always chewing on left over bones from a kill and sticks.... sometimes even rocks!!! I think it is a good thing personally.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » December 9th, 2006, 11:50 pm

Both of our puppies are teething right now...and we're still giving them raw bones...their mouths look fine....
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Nutrition & Health