Dog House Heaters

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby blayzeingsun » November 28th, 2006, 4:17 pm

Has anybody got one of these or recommends anything? River has to stay outside during the day and it is waaaay to cold out!!!!! I am going to take her up to my parents house tonight as it is going to be 20 below with windchill for the next 3 days but I need a more permanent thing.. Any ideas??? (It's not that cold her now but it's going to be)

http://www.houndheater.com/houndheaterone.htm
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby msvette2u » November 28th, 2006, 4:18 pm

I don't know as I'd use a heater, but one of those dogloos and line it with straw for bedding.
Heaters can be dangerous and start fires.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » November 28th, 2006, 4:20 pm

I think you can order heating mats online that are waterproof and specifically designed for this. Don't forget a heated water bowl so her water doesn't freeze! ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blayzeingsun » November 28th, 2006, 4:21 pm

she has a dog house and my dad built it so be put insulation in between the walls of it...you think straw and she should be good? I'm worried about her being out in that much cold...should i be?
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 28th, 2006, 4:40 pm

Does the dog house have a door and a front section to keep the wind and snow out?

I'm assuming there is no way she can be crated indoors?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » November 28th, 2006, 4:47 pm

If she can't be crated in the house, is it possible to move her dog house into the basement or garage?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blayzeingsun » November 28th, 2006, 4:56 pm

I could crate her inside i suppose...i just worry about keeping her inside for sooo long...but i guess that would be the easiest thing huh....i work from 8-3:30 although tthat's changing soon to be 8-5 is that to long for her???? otherwise i was just asking my husband about moving her whole kennel into the garage buy my sis suggests to much "doggie pee" smell and as we rent that might not be the best idea. she has a dog house but there is no door on it as she chews and rips up everything we put out there...... the crate i have is like a wire crate she used to get crated during the day when we didn't have a yard so she is definitly used to it i suppose

i guess i am to much of a worryeir...(is that how you spell that??) i just want to do right by my dog :?
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » November 28th, 2006, 5:00 pm

there will only be doggie pee smell if she gets left for extra long periods of time without potty breaks :| Even at minimum, every 8 hours or so should be enough for most dogs although more often is obviously more ideal...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » November 28th, 2006, 5:02 pm

8 - 5 is not a problem for most dogs, just make sure they are walked right before you leave and don't let them have water for the last hour or so before you go.

I don't know what "pee" smell you are worried about? why would she pee in her crate?

Without a "vestibule" area and a door on the dog house, I don't see your dog being "warm and comfortable" in the weather you are describing.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby blayzeingsun » November 28th, 2006, 5:07 pm

I'm not so much worried buy my sister suggested it. Not in her crate but in the kennel if i were to put it in the garage. I'm guessing that she would consider being in the garage as being in the house and would hold it as best she can as she doesn't of coaurse pee in the house. i think i'm kind of retarded sometimes i don't know why i didn't think of crating her in the house...shes done it tons of times before :|
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmypitties » November 29th, 2006, 3:21 pm

For the labs at our kennel we use a dog box with a heater in it. It is a ceramic heat emmitter used for salamanders and other lizards. It works real well. We get them from a company called Mor electric. I can get you the number if interested!!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby blayzeingsun » November 29th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Yeah that would be great!
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby bouvierz » December 1st, 2006, 12:00 am

I think that if your dog needs a heater in it's doghouse to keep it warm; It shouldn't be outside in the cold. :|
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby blayzeingsun » December 4th, 2006, 3:00 pm

touche!
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health