Smitty's having a very bad time

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » November 22nd, 2006, 11:01 am

Gosh I don't even know where to begin with this, lately Smitty's been drinking tons of water and when he pees, it's' like water coming out, it's CLEAR, no color at all.
So I was reading about problems in elderly dogs the other day and one of the problems they can get is kidney failure as they age, and the symptoms are usually increased thirst (toxins building up) and increased urination, and the urine is very dilute, as they are not functioning properly.
So a few times over the past few weeks, Smitty just "forgets" and starts peeing where he is standing, no matter how many times we take him outside. Now, that in and of itself isn't a huge deal - this carpet was trashed when we moved in, plus we have a Rainbow so we dilute the urine and suck it up and clean the carpet that way, spot clean it i guess.
But a few times he's gone pee during his sleep, once on his bed, and SOAKED it, and once on our bed, he quit sleeping on our bed after that (he never cared for sleeping up there anyway but once he's asleep, he is out like a light!) and I went and bought him a male "wrap" diaper like thing.
So then last night he was dozing on the couch and had a urine accident, and not just a drop or two, there was alot there.
I put him outside then, and I KNOW he got off the porch and went, but I put the diaper thing on him and during the night he peed in it too.
I guess I'll bring him to the vet but when I talk to her she'll probably recommend euthanasia, because he's a rescue, he's old, older, we believe, than his owners put on his relinquishement form at the shelter ("around 10"). And because I can spend hundreds and still wind up with the same diagnosis - "he's old".
I just want you guys to know that this is a possibility for us today, and I want you to know that we've given Smitty a real family over this past few months. The kids absolutely adore him and are heartbroken but I don't want to do it without them at least knowing that's what happened with Jenny. Well, and I love him. He has been our dog 100%.
Smitty will go to Hermiston today with me, we are picking up a shelter Cocker (who is "hyper", wish us luck), so the 2 boys can go along to pick him up, Copper and Smitty, my two co-pilots, that is :)
One of the main things for me is, I don't like seeing him in this diaper doohicky, it is a good idea but when I put it on, he loses his "Captain Smitty" dignity and I don't like that :( He also feels bad when he has accidents.
So, we'll see what the vet says...I'm taking him as soon as the doors open...please keep us in your thoughts today.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » November 22nd, 2006, 11:07 am

Awww Vette, I am sorry. I know you love him & so does he & that is what matters. I'm hopefull what ever it is, he can be helped so that he will have a little more time with you. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » November 22nd, 2006, 12:20 pm

I am sorry too!! I know this is hard for you. You have given him a place he can remember as home. I wish you all the best with whatever happens. Please let us know.
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby msvette2u » November 22nd, 2006, 12:42 pm

Thanks, guys, I will - he's at the vet right now, they'll do a UA then call me and we'll know how to proceed anyway...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » November 22nd, 2006, 1:32 pm

I agree Yvette, it does not sound good :cry:

will you go in to be with him IF it is time?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » November 22nd, 2006, 4:57 pm

Positive thoughts sent Smitty's way ~
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » November 22nd, 2006, 10:27 pm

Malli, I'm glad you saw this thread. They put Smitty on Clavamox ($30.00 thank you very much! :? ) because he has blood in his urine, of greater concern to me, however is that the protein in his urine was "+ + +" isn't that indicative of kidney failure??? The blood was only, whatever, a small amt. and that could be kidney failure too I'm pretty sure...
They can't tell me a damn thing except MAYBE this will help (the clavamox!) and if not bring him back Monday and they'll do bloodwork! I'm a bit disgusted, and asked them why I'd want to spend $80.00 or whatever, on top of the $90.whatever I spent today, for them to tell me it's his kidneys and he's going to have to be put down anyway????
:cry:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » November 22nd, 2006, 10:39 pm

For you and your family: :hug3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Purple » November 22nd, 2006, 10:43 pm

Sending good thought your way, Vette.
Purple
I live here

Postby msvette2u » November 22nd, 2006, 10:44 pm

Thank you...I'm just so frustrated to have had him sit there the whole damn day and then spend the $$ and not have any answer except "Well maybe this will help". I'm going to mention this to our regular vet, who of course, was not THERE again today!
And then again, thinking of having to say goodbye so soon, it's just, well you guys know...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » November 23rd, 2006, 1:32 am

I agree, completely or almost clear urine is not a good sign, it can mean organ failure (I THINK kidneys, but I always get the kidneys and liver mixed up).
Perhaps they think he has a UTI?

Obviously he is not having any trouble urinating, so no stones or crystals.

Is it clots of blood or bloody urine?

If his coat isn't super short already, if you can trim it back more it will help him dry from the extra baths and soaking himself.

Did you tell them you had a monetary limit? Or indicate that you wanted to figure out what was going on?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » November 23rd, 2006, 1:57 am

I see no blood at all. It's trace, if anything. His urine is always like water, just almost as clear as it went in, or a slight yellow tinge but nothing like the others gets.
It's not the money even so much as the fact that I wasn't able to talk to the vet who we usually see and she understands our situation as far as being a rescue.
If I thought this was going to HELP Smitty, I wouldn't mind it so much, but honestly I think he's shutting down, his kidneys that is. I saw it happen with my dad's elderly Mini Schnauzer and they go so quickly, I am praying it's not going to be like that for him.
BTW I started him on the Clavamox, and we'll see if there's improvement by Monday...I told the kids, he gets lots of leftovers this weekend...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pocketpit » November 23rd, 2006, 4:53 am

The only way they could definatively diagnose kidney failure would be with blood tests anyway. A UA can help differentiate between a urinary tract infection vs diabetes vs organ failure but it's in no way a good indication of what is going on unless they see crystals or bacteria and white cells in the sediment.
A low urine specific gravity (which causes the clear urine you are seeing)can be caused by diabetes, crystals (they often drink more water if affected), a UTI, kidney failure or pyschogenic polydipsia.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » November 23rd, 2006, 10:20 am

Oh, my heart is aching for you! :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby 04100824 » November 23rd, 2006, 10:33 am

:( :groupHug:
Confident Young Bully

Postby msvette2u » November 23rd, 2006, 11:38 am

On November 23 2006, pocketpit wrote:The only way they could definatively diagnose kidney failure would be with blood tests anyway. A UA can help differentiate between a urinary tract infection vs diabetes vs organ failure but it's in no way a good indication of what is going on unless they see crystals or bacteria and white cells in the sediment.
A low urine specific gravity (which causes the clear urine you are seeing)can be caused by diabetes, crystals (they often drink more water if affected), a UTI, kidney failure or pyschogenic polydipsia.

I figured something like that. They said he had red blood cells and protein. No crystals.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » November 23rd, 2006, 11:33 pm

Updated to say, Smitty ate lots of turkey from the table :) But he's not doing well at all, I don't know wtf is up but he's not able to stay dry AT ALL. He's on the antibiotic. I'm praying it works...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » November 24th, 2006, 10:05 am

Please give to Smitty:

:groupHug:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » November 24th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Its so nice what you guys are doing for him :)
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » November 25th, 2006, 1:06 pm

I've been trying to see if it's just my imagination but I don't think it is, Smitty SEEMS to be doing better!! (cautious sigh of relief here!) I haven't had the diaper on him since Thursday, he stayed dry all day yesterday and is doing great today too.
So, maybe it WAS the infection...sorry to freak out on you guys, I was just annoyed to think that we'd just wasted that money for nothing, but if he's better, I'm happy :elephant:
msvette2u
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health