Close call for Copper (long)

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » November 15th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Monday I had to bring Yaeger to the vet and remembered it at the last minute so rushed out the door leaving behind, on the couch...a half-eaten bag of Dove dark chocolate candy (wrapped in foil). :shock:
So I came home about 30min. later (Yaeger is fine, has to have that weird mole thing on the back of his neck removed tomorrow) and Copper is locked in my son's room. I could hear him barking in there when I got out of the car. He goes in there and the door closes behind him so he is stuck!
The bag of candy is gone, with wrappers strewn about on the couch and floor. Loose in the front room are Libby (45lbs or so), Smitty (25lbs) and Sweet Pea, 40lbs. Nobody has chocolate on their breath.
Copper wasn't even in the room - it occurred to me HE could have gotten the candy but he wasn't in the room when I got home, rather locked up in another room, so I didn't think it was him.
SO we went to TKD a bit later and got home at 6:00pm or so. And shortly after we got home, Copper puked up a bunch of watery material with streaks of chocolate in it. So he WAS the culprit!
I called Jeff, and was upset...by our estimation, if he ate the entire half of bag, he was just UNDER the "toxic" limit as per the guidelines for chocolate toxicity - toxic for his weight is 5 oz. and he'd had around 4 - 4.5 oz.
But that was 4 hours ago!
Well I knew that our vet was closed, the only vet open is the E-vet at 45 min. away, and I knew also that they'd probably not be able to do much for him that we could not do here, that is, give him an IV and watch and wait. We have an IV set up and can do fluids here, so we were just gong to watch and wait.
So I hauled out the peroxide and gave him a bunch, thinking if he had any tin foil in him perhaps that would come up and if perchance any chocolate was left in there, that'd come up.
Then I gave him some Ipecac (since the peroxide wasn't working - he just belched from it!) and finally a tsp. of salt on the back of his tongue. Geesh. He's so stoic! Despite his tummy being bloated, he didn't want to puke, then finally he did puke and it was this dark cocoa colored fluid, so I know he'd still had some chocolate in his tummy. I think his digestive tract shut DOWN and it was locked in his stomach(??)
His heart rate was elevated most the night but stable and he was bloated most the night, went outside potty maybe 3 x and then was kinda under the weather yesterday. His cheeks are a bit swollen from the ipecac/peroxide and extra water (to help make him puke) being crammed down I guess.
Today he's feeling fine, his cheeks are almost back to normal.
I wish he could make the connection between the misery (of putting the ipecac/peroxide/salt down his throat, and puking and being sick to his stomach) he went through with the eating of the chocolate but I doubt it :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » November 15th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Scary! Justice is the worst chocolate stealer in this house. You can't even turn your back on the girl. She ate an entire box of chocolates once, luckily it was the cheap valentine chocolate crap so she was fine. I'm glad to hear he is doing well today!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 15th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Hasn't Copper done this before? Or did he eat like a ton of dog food...I can't remember! Crazy pupper! Good job keeping your head and acting quickly.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby luvmyangels » November 15th, 2006, 5:02 pm

Glad to hear he is ok!! That must have been scary.
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby mnp13 » November 15th, 2006, 5:15 pm

He ate a bag of dog food I believe and he looked like a waddling watermellon! lol

I'm glad he's ok! The hydrogen peroxide may not have worked if it was old. Only "fresh" hp works.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » November 15th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Nobody has chocolate on their breath.

:groupjump:

I couldn't get past this!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » November 15th, 2006, 7:35 pm

On November 15 2006, mnp13 wrote:He ate a bag of dog food I believe and he looked like a waddling watermellon! lol

I'm glad he's ok! The hydrogen peroxide may not have worked if it was old. Only "fresh" hp works.

It may have been older, didn't think of that-but it foamed to high heaven and he belched alot afterward! You could almost see him swallowing hard to keep from puking - he's a brat!
And yes it was dog food the one time and a half of a bunny rabbit the other time, but the bunny was milk chocolate!
Below is Copper's tummy - notice the bulge in the side? That was the dog food episode...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » November 16th, 2006, 12:27 pm

Such humiliation!! :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » November 16th, 2006, 12:48 pm

Poor Poor Copper, blamed for everything. :sad3:

Glad he's ok. I think you should see about getting him some help for his chocolate/eating fetish, maybe rehab. ;)
Jenn
undecided

Postby msvette2u » November 16th, 2006, 2:50 pm

I have considered that!! ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health