Elderly Smitty...questions...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » October 19th, 2006, 11:39 am

This morning Smitty slept in late, he had no interest in waking up, so I let him sleep.
When I finally woke him around 8:00am (we're usually up at 6am!), I noticed he’d had a urine accident on his bed. He must have slept so soundly as to have slept through it. He also was chilling, and I had to wrap him in a blanket for him to get warm. Maybe he got damp on the bed and chilled?
I think I mentioned this, if not here, then at least to my husband and my friends, that we got Smitty from the shelter where he'd been dumped by his owners. It broke my heart that they'd bring him there, instead of the vet, where he could die in their loving (???) arms. He was dumped there (sorry there is NO other term) because of "bathroom issues"!
I told my husband at the time, as I watched Smitty's ears blowing in the warm September breeze as he put his head out the window and sucked in the fresh air so unlike the stale shelter air, that if all we did was bring him to the vet that day for his final visit, it would be worth it to have gotten him from the shelter where he'd die a shelter dogs' death and not a pets' death.
But I've grown attached to him and I figure, we'll have him until the end of his days. He hasn't got bathroom issues unless he doesn't get let outside, he has always shown appropriate bathroom behavior, pottying only outside, except for when we first got him and the kids didn't let him out first thing one morning. Since then he's not had an accident despite being left for 4-6 hrs. while we are in town, he sleeps on the couch while we are gone.
He had the growths removed from his neck and chest area but they aren't healing up very well. We had them rechecked on Monday and the vet said "Well he's old and could have some immune system complications".
How do you judge the quality of life in senior pets? He spends his days snoozing on the couch and loves to go "bye bye" with us, so he and Copper usually get to go even if we're in the small car and not the pickup.
Here is Smitty, dreaming of the finer things in life...(see where his nose is!?)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » October 19th, 2006, 11:55 am

I say as long as he is not in any obvious discomfort, let him stay. It sounds like he does have lots of life still in him, he's just a bit slow. He'll let you know when he is too tired to go on. Hey, once we get old we are ALL going to be peeing on ourselves again. :| some of us still are but I don't want to out anyone.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » October 19th, 2006, 12:03 pm

Make a list of 3 things that he seems to live for. When two of those things are no longer a source of joy for him, it's time to put him down. Quality of life.

You're doing a great thing by taking on a senior dog and letting him live out his days. I'd be too emotional to be able to do that.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby babyreba » October 19th, 2006, 12:05 pm

as long as the dog is happy and comfortable and gets some enjoyment out of his life, let him live . . . at least that's how i think of it.

reba's old and has some manageable chronic pain, doesn't care to do much but sleep and eat and go for 2 walks per day, but that's OK with me as long as it's OK with her.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » October 19th, 2006, 12:09 pm

On October 19 2006, 11:03 AM, SisMorphine wrote:Make a list of 3 things that he seems to live for. When two of those things are no longer a source of joy for him, it's time to put him down. Quality of life.

You're doing a great thing by taking on a senior dog and letting him live out his days. I'd be too emotional to be able to do that.

Me too, Munkee is 7 & I am already freaking out. Even though he still acts like a puppy, I know soon age will creep up on him. I can't even think about it without getty teary. :cry:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » October 19th, 2006, 12:14 pm

On October 19 2006, SisMorphine wrote:Make a list of 3 things that he seems to live for. When two of those things are no longer a source of joy for him, it's time to put him down. Quality of life.

Thanks Sis - that is a great suggestion! He loves to go with us, his huge brown eyes just plead when he knows we're going somewhere!
Here's the thing - we went on vacation when I was a kid, and had a neighbor girl come let our older dog out. She was like, 13 maybe 14 (the dog, not the girl) Something like that. Going deaf, blind, the whole bit, but I thought she was doing fine. I don't think the girl who was watching her let her outside, at least not enough, while we were gone. We came home to some "tootie rolls" behind the chair, I say that jokingly, but it's true, my brother actually picked it up and thought it was a tootsie roll, but it was a "deposit" from Speck!
Speck was a rat terrier/dachshund mix. I think I get my love for black and white animals from growing up with her, she is the first dog I have a memory of!
Anyway my mom totally freaked out and brought her to the pound and I don't EVEN know how they euthanized there-- it could be that at the time, there was no vet in town, when I was younger, the vet only came through every few months. But I was so angry that they'd bring her there and just dump her, and I can still see Speckie standing at the gate of the shelter kennel wondering wtf she did to get LEFT there!!
Now when I see a senior in a shelter, I cannot just turn my back and walk away. It is painful - I get tears just thinking about it even now but it just isn't right.
I wish they'd taken Speck out and shot her if they were thinking it was her "time" to go (I don't think it was!) but I was 16 and had no voice really in the family over it. If I'd had a place of my own (I moved out at 17) at the time I'd have brought her to MY place-it wasn't her fault she'd had accidents, she just had not been let out like she should have been :cry:
So...to me I'm righting that wrong as much as I can with dogs like Smitty...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » October 19th, 2006, 7:29 pm

Smitty certainly found the right woman to love him.

I believe in quality of life for my dogs. I have no problem cleaning up dog messes, administering sub-q's (I am a fainter and could not do this for a human), feeding them special foods by hand or anything else old age brings.

As long as I know I am not keeping them here "for me", they are enjoying some part of their daily routine, any pain is being managed, they remain with me. Similar to how I would want my son to look at me when I am old.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » October 20th, 2006, 7:41 am

I agree, quality of life.

When my dog gets old (wich, incidentally, will NEVER happen), and I know that time is getting short, he is going to get whatever he wants. Steak? Sure. All wet food diet? Sure. Homemade diet? Sure. Lay in the sun all day and hang out on the couch? Sure.

I agree, that the key is to make sure it isn't all about you. I've seen too many pets already at the hospital in literally comatose states or in almost perpetual seizure that we all know are not going to get better that the owner keeps alive for days, I'm not sure what they're hoping for, miraculous recovery? But its very selfish, our Doctors don't lie, so its not like its being sugar coated to the client, and yet they still insist on hanging on to some poor, confused, debilitated, and scared shell of a dog and mind.
As long as that doesn't happen you are doing a wonderful thing in my books.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health