too many bones/hard things to chew?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby HappyPuppy » October 18th, 2006, 11:21 am

Do you guys ration the hard rec bones/nylabones/cow hooves/etc.? Ruby's bottom incisors looked a little flat the other day on the tip and I wondered if I should space out the big, hardest, chew-on things so not to wear her teeth down (so fast?). My husband has worn his teeth down terrible, so I know it's possible with people. Any major considerations?
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » October 18th, 2006, 11:25 am

No, I don't ration -- I just replace them as they wear out. I check the dogs' teeth everytime I do their nails and I haven't noticed any serious wear-and-tear.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » October 18th, 2006, 12:28 pm

I am NOT trying to be rude, because I was the exact same way with Ruby for the first two years; especially after she almost died from Pyometra.

Not everything is a problem, dogs are pretty tough. Ruby is missing half a canine and her other canines are badly chipped and worn because they hit eachother when she closes her mouth. She took a HUGE chunk out of a bottom one when she body slammed Riggs and cut his face open.

Riggs has a bunch of broken teeth and all of his front lower teeth have the roots exposed from wear. He has no problem chewing things so I don't worry about them. I'd have to have half the teeth in his mouth pulled or have root canals and have them capped. Uh... I can't afford the root canal that I need, I'm not having the procedure done on my dog!

I know other dogs that don't have any canines at all.

If the dog isn't actually injured or sick I really wouldn't worry about it.

and though I have never been accused of mis-treatment here, I have been other places - I do not deny my dogs necessary vet care, and I do not have a money issue that prevents me from giving them any care they need. I have literally thousands on their credit card to pay for anything they need at any time.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby babyreba » October 18th, 2006, 12:39 pm

for me, it depends on how old the dog is and how badly worn the teeth are. on a middle-aged dog, a little wear on incisors would not bother me. i let my old dog chew on hard raw bones all day, every day. she's lost a couple of teeth now, but she's also quite old and to be expected.

my puppy, though, is rationed a bit. i have a couple of rubber bones and kongs and softer chew things that i do cycle through his chewing items. it's not that i am worried he'll hurt himself, it's just that i like for him to have his teeth and to have them in decent shape for as long as i can. so some days i'll leave him with a nylabone or a raw bone, then other days i'll give him a stuffed and frozen kong instead.

i don't worry much about it, and i don't check his teeth constantly to gauge wear-and-tear. i just don't want to have one of those dogs that has nubs for teeth when he's 7 years old! i don't think about it a ton but it does cross my mind enough to mix it up every few days.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » October 18th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Thanks guys. I have so been trying NOT to have the "new mother syndrome" but I guess it's not working that well :oops: I was just surprised when I saw the flat spot but I guess in the wild, they'd find all sorts of things to chew on.
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » October 18th, 2006, 1:08 pm

I have to agree with Michelle on this one. Maggie has a few chipped teeth and Cerberus, well... You can kind of see how messed up they are in this picture:

Raw has helped them ALOT though.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » October 18th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Wally had 17 teeth taken out this past spring, and his remaining teeth aren't in fantastic shape themselves . . . but he still eats raw without a problem, and I don't limit his marrow bones. The only time he seems to struggle is with Turkey legs, which I'm not a fan of anyway.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby iluvk9 » October 18th, 2006, 5:10 pm

On October 18 2006, HappyPuppy wrote: My husband has worn his teeth down terrible, so I know it's possible with people.

I hope it wasn't from Nylabones. :shock:

:bananaDance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » October 18th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Joyce, what are we to do with you? :nono:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » October 18th, 2006, 5:53 pm

I think she needs a spanking. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » October 18th, 2006, 5:59 pm

(I heard she enjoys that.)
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ellie@ny » October 18th, 2006, 6:10 pm

I agree with Michelle too.
Maya had a huge diaherria one day,and while she tried to come out of her crate,she broke one of her canine.I took her to the vet to get other
x-rays done with her,so they took one of her tooth too.
They said she will need a root canal,and a cap,but they're already told me a chewing breed like her,that cap will broke pretty fast....
And it would be arround 3000$.... :?:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » October 18th, 2006, 6:16 pm

On October 18 2006, cheekymunkee wrote:I think she needs a spanking. :wink:

On October 18 2006, Marinepits wrote:(I heard she enjoys that.)

Uh, hello, Mods? :topic:

:wink: please don't ban me; there aren't many forums left for me to try.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby rockermom » October 19th, 2006, 8:51 am

Hmmph now yall got me worried about teeth. Rocky chews on bones ALOT. More recently marrow bones. I noticed his teeth to be so friggen sharp since cewing marrows. So sharp that he could slice ya just taking a treat. So to be honest I think Id rather he wear em down a little but not enough to cause need for dental work.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » October 19th, 2006, 10:32 am

On October 18 2006, 5:16 PM, iluvk9 wrote:
On October 18 2006, cheekymunkee wrote:I think she needs a spanking. :wink:

On October 18 2006, Marinepits wrote:(I heard she enjoys that.)

Uh, hello, Mods? :topic:

:wink: please don't ban me; there aren't many forums left for me to try.

That's why Charles & Michelle made this one, we ran out too! :wink:

Not really, we wanted a place that welcomed everyone. Rescue, show people, working people.........everyone is welcome here..........with the exception of a few. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Nutrition & Health