Food Allergys

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby blayzeingsun » October 6th, 2006, 3:48 pm

I took my River to the vet yesterday as she has had a problem from day one of my husband and I adopting her of getting a rash on her abdomen that is staph dermatitis anyhow we have been treating her with antibiotics it takes the full 2 weeks of antibiotics for it to go away and then it is usually back within 2 weeks. So about 2 weeks ago we got her on antibiotics again switched her dog food to science diet regular and started spraying with apple cider vinegar the rash cleared up in 5 days and anyhow now her ears have little hard bumps in them :( My husband has heard that science diet is not good for dogs but he can't remember why. What to do???? the vet suggests keeping her on the science diet since we just switched prior she was eating atta boy i beieve it is called. We do not want to put her on antibiotics anymore and want a solution. I was fairly irritated that the vet just kept saying i don't know i dont know. I asked about a raw diet and she did not recommend that I myself am unsure about that and would prefer to keep her on kibble. Any advice? the vet also suggested an 8 week all sweet potatoe diet to rule out outside causes other than food but suggests we wait until she adjusts to the science diet. i am pretty sure they are proponents of science diet as it is the only dog food that they sell! Any advice?
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » October 6th, 2006, 4:00 pm

NO SCIENCE DIET!!!! it is full of corn, preservatives & crap and probably the cause of yoru pup's allergies. I feed a RAW diet but I have heard some very good things about Timberwolf Organics. You might want to check them out. IMO nothing you can get at the vet, or at petsmart is worth bringing home. There are a couple of threads on dog food here, let me look around & I will post the links.

Vets don't recommend a RAW diet because they do not understand canine nutrition for the most part, if they did they wouldn't stock Science Diet in their offices.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » October 6th, 2006, 4:05 pm

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby blayzeingsun » October 6th, 2006, 4:19 pm

Well I'm unsure that it's the science diet as she has only been eating it for 6 days now. She was eating attaboy for the previous year. But i believe that it is a probably cause of just creating new problems! thanks for the info.
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » October 7th, 2006, 4:55 pm

Science Diet is CRAP.

#1 thing to remember... Most vets dont know anything about nutrition.

I would look into the raw diet. All of my dogs are on it, and they do better than they ever did on kibble. I will never go back.

If you do want to stick with kibble, Timberwolf, Merrick, Canidae and Nature's Variety are good.
Magnolia618
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health