Vaccinations: One Size Does Not Fit All

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby cheekymunkee » October 5th, 2006, 11:26 am

http://dogcentral.msn.com/article.aspx? ... 7&GT1=8641

Vaccinations: One Size Does Not Fit All October 2, 2006
By Dr. Susan Barrett

The year was 1978. Dogs were becoming more popular as pets, indeed as members of the family. Suddenly, an epidemic of disease struck those furry family members. For no apparent reason, dogs would lose their appetites, start vomiting, and then develop bad, bloody diarrhea. Within a couple of days, they would die a painful death. Sometimes the most aggressive care could not save them.

What was this horrible epidemic? It was an outbreak of the viral disease, parvoviral enteritis, commonly known as “parvo.â€
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 5th, 2006, 12:28 pm

I'm so on the fence with the whole vaccination thing. When I was researching switching to RAW, almost everything I read said that people are over-vaccinating their dogs, and essentially you don't need any vaccs. That makes me nervous. Of course, switching to RAW made me nervous and now I know it's one of the best things I ever did for Inara. But vaccinations...damn, her health is just not something to mess with. I just don't know. And I can't ask my vet, because of course a vet is going to be biased. I just don't know... :|
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » October 5th, 2006, 12:34 pm

You can do a titers every year, it will show you exactly what vac's the dog is needing. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » October 5th, 2006, 12:39 pm

On Thu, Oct 05 2006, 12:28 PM, pitbullmamaliz wrote: And I can't ask my vet, because of course a vet is going to be biased.

Not necessarily. My guys get their vax done every three years and my oldest, Katy, is not getting any more vax except rabies. My vet thinks she's fine and just doesn't need them anymore. She's also the one that suggested getting their vax done every three years.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Hoyden » October 5th, 2006, 1:17 pm

On October 05 2006, 12:39 PM, Marinepits wrote:
On Thu, Oct 05 2006, 12:28 PM, pitbullmamaliz wrote: And I can't ask my vet, because of course a vet is going to be biased.

Not necessarily. My guys get their vax done every three years and my oldest, Katy, is not getting any more vax except rabies. My vet thinks she's fine and just doesn't need them anymore. She's also the one that suggested getting their vax done every three years.

I need to talk to you about switching vets.

My vet and I aren't seeing eye to eye on vaccinations and other matters. I'm beginning to think he is more concerned with his office visit fee than the health of my dogs.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby BigDogBuford » October 5th, 2006, 11:00 pm

This is one of the things that I love about the clinic that I work for. We tailor our vaccine protocols to each patient and their needs. We give the options of titers and let the owners make informed decisions. In fact, we're so titer oriented that if we convince someone to do a titer and it comes back as inadequate then we will administer that particular vaccine for free.

The only issue I've seen is with boarding facilities. Some just won't accept titers.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Magnolia618 » October 7th, 2006, 5:08 pm

I dont vaccinate every year except for Rabies. Maggie was vacinnated for the first couple years I had her, then I stopped. Trey had all of his first vaccines, and I wont be vaccinating Cerberus. I dont think it is necessary to do it every year.

I personally have NEVER been vaccinated for anything except Tetanus. I had my tetanus shot when I slammed my thumb in the car door years ago. I was working at the shelter then, so I figured it might be a good idea.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » October 7th, 2006, 7:44 pm

I get the 3 year rabies vaccination for my dogs, since NY and LI have had some problems with rabid wild animals.

My Vet said he often suggests to many of his clients getting them done every 2 years, because many people aren't diligent in making appointments at the exact 3 year mark. They drag their tails, which could mean their dogs unprotected for a few months. (Unlike me, who keeps a Dog Diary on every dog and makes sure I get in exactly on time for vaccinations.)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Nutrition & Health