Guess what Ella just ate for breakfast!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby chewbecca » September 20th, 2006, 8:41 am

Just to let you know this is how excited I am about this, I posted it on another dog board, but I wanted your guys' input too, since you all actually have pit bulls:

Yeah, that's right. AN ENTIRE CHICKEN LEG QUARTER, bones and ALL. Well, except for the fat. She didn't eat the fat, I cut it off, but she ate EVERY LAST PIECE OF everything else. I threw NOTHING out.
And she did this in less than 20 minutes. She carefully (but eagerly) chewed through every bone and ate it! I swear, as excited as I am about this (I know, it may seem silly that I'm excited about it, but I don't care), it was the most FASCINATING thing EVER to watch. Her jaw and teeth broke those bones like they were NOTHING. Those who feed raw probably think I'm being ridiculous, ah well.

Now, my question to you who feed raw, if she's 60 lbs. should that chicken leg quarter be all she gets for the day? Or how do I know how much more to feed her throughout the rest of the day? The leg quarter was pretty huge, to me. I know you guys have told me before, but I forget.

Should I look for anything funny since this is like the first REAL boned meat she's ever eaten? Should I look for funny poop? Diarrhea? Anything? I'm excited that she ate it, but I'm nervous about it at the same time. Should I have allowed her to eat the entire thing at once? Or should I have broken it up into separate meals? She was just so EAGER to eat it, and I'm not used to Ella being eager to eat raw, so I went with it.

Thanks so much for any help!
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 20th, 2006, 9:19 am

Take a breath.... ;)

Amount of food goes by the dog and her activity level. Most people feed 1-2% of body weight.

I feed once a day and my dogs are fine.

I don't cut the fat off the chicken, I just give them the whole thing with some water. I hate raw chicken, so the less I touch it the better.

Her poop should be normal, my dogs had normal poop from the get go.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » September 20th, 2006, 9:57 am

Good for her!!!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » September 20th, 2006, 10:49 am

When I first started feeding my dogs Raw it was so amazing to watch. Congrats and best of luck!!
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby chewbecca » September 20th, 2006, 11:14 am

Thanks, guys.
She got a FEW chunks of fat but it was difficult for her to hold the chicken because the fat made it all slimy. It was getting in the way, so I cut off the top layer of fat. The fat within the meat stayed.
She would've eaten more had I given her more, but those leg quarters are GIGANTIC.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby chewbecca » September 20th, 2006, 11:15 am

er...I guess should say I cut off the skin, not the fat, d'oh.
Sorry, I've been reading and doing homework all morning, my brain is somewhere else!
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmyangels » September 20th, 2006, 11:20 am

On September 20 2006, chewbecca wrote:er...I guess should say I cut off the skin, not the fat, d'oh.
Sorry, I've been reading and doing homework all morning, my brain is somewhere else!

Every time I feed my dogs chicken I cut off the skin/fat too. When I left it my dogs got sick.
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby mnp13 » September 20th, 2006, 11:26 am

I have a small kitchen scale and weigh each meal. It seems to me that most people who feed raw just wing it but I want to keep track of food weight so I can help monitor their body weight. They both maintain at about a pound a day. I was up to close to a pound and a half for Riggs for a while but now that his weight is where I want it a pound is keeping it there.

The only thing either of them has had trouble with was the chicken liver that went right through Riggs last week. No problems with anything else.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Magnolia618 » September 20th, 2006, 12:10 pm

I would keep the skin on it. It has oils in it that are very good for them.

Like Michelle said, it really depends on the dog's activity level.

My 36 pound pit bull eats twice as much as my 54 pounder (who gets one leg quarter when I feed chicken). I am probably going to start my 125 pound old man on two or three and see how his weight is. He is FAT and his matabolism is much slower than my little guy.

It really is cool to watch them eat for the first time. You should have seen my roommate's face the first time he saw Maggie eat. He looked exactly like this: :shock:
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Knomad » September 27th, 2006, 9:17 pm

20 minutes eh? Sounds like my Kaya!!

She nibbles (in a jaw grinding crunching sort of way) her way through the raw meals.......a stark contract to the walking waste disposal Moto who would devour the whole chicken in under 10 if he got half the chance.

I understand the fascination I watched with great interest and pleasure when i gave them the first raw meal.

The problem I have now is I have to stand guard over Kaya when shes eating because Moto finishes his plate in what must be around 1.5 minutes tops (yup hes fast!!) and Kaya takes 10 minute, so I have to prevent Moto from eating hers too.....he tries repeatedly!!

Why do you remove the fat and skin? Its healthy and vital to a good diet in balanced measures, leave it on they will enjoy it more. As long as you dont go stuffing them with plates of pure fat theyll be fine :)
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 27th, 2006, 9:52 pm

I fed turkey necks tonight. It's the most disgusting meal they get. Both of them eat too fast, then puke it all back up and then eat it again. I can't even be in ear shot because even the noise makes me wretch.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » September 27th, 2006, 11:56 pm

On September 27 2006, 8:17 PM, Knomad wrote:20 minutes eh? Sounds like my Kaya!!

She nibbles (in a jaw grinding crunching sort of way) her way through the raw meals.......a stark contract to the walking waste disposal Moto who would devour the whole chicken in under 10 if he got half the chance.

I understand the fascination I watched with great interest and pleasure when i gave them the first raw meal.

The problem I have now is I have to stand guard over Kaya when shes eating because Moto finishes his plate in what must be around 1.5 minutes tops (yup hes fast!!) and Kaya takes 10 minute, so I have to prevent Moto from eating hers too.....he tries repeatedly!!

Why do you remove the fat and skin? Its healthy and vital to a good diet in balanced measures, leave it on they will enjoy it more. As long as you dont go stuffing them with plates of pure fat theyll be fine :)

I have to feed mine in seperate rooms or they would kill each other, hell......two of them want to anyway! :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Nutrition & Health