'Bony'?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby concreterose » September 11th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Tonight at training, my trainer said Vicki looked 'bony'. Should I put a couple pounds on her? She eats a pound of food per day, plus treats and stuff...I don't skimp on her meals. It's hard to keep weight on this girl.
Excuse the way she's standing...she did NOT want to take this pic lol

I know I look at her everyday and am used to seeing her...she looks fine to me, but if she needs to gain some weight, I am willing to feed her more.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 11th, 2006, 7:13 pm

I think she looks great... :| I think that most people don't realize that these dogs are not supposed to be huge. You're supposed to be able to see what, 2 ribs? I think as long as the muscle tone is there (and I'm pretty sure it is from other pics you've posted of her!) then they're good.

But that's just my opinion!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pibblegrl » September 11th, 2006, 8:28 pm

I think she looks good...maybe its the photot but her head seems kinda big for her body...
She might be a bit thin but not unhealthy looking..
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » September 11th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Maybe, since the trainer sees her in person and we're looking at one dimensional photos, you should take her advice :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » September 11th, 2006, 9:13 pm

On September 11 2006, 21:10, msvette2u wrote:Maybe, since the trainer sees her in person and we're looking at one dimensional photos, you should take her advice :|

It all depends on the trainer's breed knowledge. I think she looks great and if she is well muscled, keep her the way she is.

If a trainer is used to seeing Labs they are going to think she is emaciated!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » September 11th, 2006, 9:48 pm

On Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:13 pm, mnp13 wrote:
On September 11 2006, 21:10, msvette2u wrote:Maybe, since the trainer sees her in person and we're looking at one dimensional photos, you should take her advice :|

It all depends on the trainer's breed knowledge. I think she looks great and if she is well muscled, keep her the way she is.

If a trainer is used to seeing Labs they are going to think she is emaciated!

Yeah, the trainer has goldens and a sheltie...they're covered in fur. They're not fat, but you can't see any muscle mass. Somebody on another board brought up a good point. Since I run with her, I want her lean. I notice a BIG difference when I run her, and when I run Solomon. Solomon slows me down, he is real muscular, but it slows him down and he tires easily. Vicki floats along with me.

I'll just monitor her closely to make sure she doesn't lose any more.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » September 12th, 2006, 12:24 am

She looks perfect to me!! Justice is a thin dog too, I can't KEEP weight on her. She is just naturally thin, in fact, she has a very similar body style as Miss Vicki. Too much weight is bad for joints anyway and if she runs with you, you don't WANT to put too much weight on her. Leave her like she is.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby concreterose » September 12th, 2006, 7:00 am

Thanks all for your input! I tend to listen to bulldog folks when it comes to ideal weights, as our dogs tend to be considered 'emaciated' when they don't carry a lot of body fat.

Pibblegirl, her head is actually pretty small...it's proportioned to her body. She was standing putting funky for those pics...we had just gotten back from agility and she was ready to eat, and not happy at all about me asking her to stand still for a pic.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » September 12th, 2006, 7:15 am

I think she looks good. It is a big shock when someone is used to seeing "pet weight" labs and sees an in shape bull breed. Or even sees an in shape lab!

My friend's boyfriend was here one day and he was ALL pissed off, saying that one of my clients wasn't feeding her puppy. It was a 10 month old lab that was *gasp* in shape. You could see the last ribs, he is building up that muscle, and frankly looks good for being in the gangly puppy stage of things. He expects to not be able to see any ribs on any breed except Greyhounds. He's a vet tech so he's just used to fat labs all day long (since that's all that's in this area). I tried to tell him about what an actual in shape dog looked like, and he wouldn't listen. Not everyone who works in the animal field has a clue, unfortunately.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » September 12th, 2006, 12:19 pm

I too think her head is making her look as if her body is too small. Rocky's body is quite similar where I always am asked if he has whippet or greyhound in him. However at one time his head was large for his body up untill about 8 months he then grew into it. his head is not big and wide like a typical pit head it is more long and narrow.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby concreterose » September 12th, 2006, 1:22 pm

On Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:19 am, rockermom wrote:I too think her head is making her look as if her body is too small. Rocky's body is quite similar where I always am asked if he has whippet or greyhound in him. However at one time his head was large for his body up untill about 8 months he then grew into it. his head is not big and wide like a typical pit head it is more long and narrow.

Here's a more 'proportioned' pic. It shows the shape of her head in proportion to her body at a better angle
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby pibblegrl » September 12th, 2006, 2:17 pm

She is a beuaty!!
When Dale lost a ton of weight a couple of years ago due to illness...he looked like the worlds biggest bobblehead..
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » September 12th, 2006, 5:04 pm

On September 12 2006, 2:17 PM, pibblegrl wrote:She is a beuaty!!
When Dale lost a ton of weight a couple of years ago due to illness...he looked like the worlds biggest bobblehead..

My dog Mike continues to look like a bobblehead. I really hope he grows out to match his big ol' mug and doesn't stay stick thin. He looks rediculous! (Rediculously cute . . . but still rediculous!)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Magnolia618 » September 12th, 2006, 5:14 pm

I think she looks great. I might put a pound or two on her, but otherwise, she is a beautiful dog!

99% of the dogs I groom are hugely overweight. It drives me nuts!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Hoyden » September 12th, 2006, 5:39 pm

She looks great! She's beautiful.

Then again, I'm biased. My Birdie is built similarly and is of the same color :)
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Knomad » September 12th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Is she heavier by a couple of pounds in the last pic you posted because there she looks great. She looks lovely anyway but I do think in the top pic she could use a couple more pounds on her.

If theres a weight difference between the two then yes, id go for the second pic weight myself.

Its hard to say because it could just be the ligh and the shot. I know from my dogs they can looker fatter and thinner in back to back pics depending how you catch the shot.

Lovely looking dog :D
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby concreterose » September 12th, 2006, 6:56 pm

On Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:50 pm, Knomad wrote:Is she heavier by a couple of pounds in the last pic you posted because there she looks great. She looks lovely anyway but I do think in the top pic she could use a couple more pounds on her.

If theres a weight difference between the two then yes, id go for the second pic weight myself.

Its hard to say because it could just be the ligh and the shot. I know from my dogs they can looker fatter and thinner in back to back pics depending how you catch the shot.

Lovely looking dog :D

Yup, the last pic posted is her winter weight...we had not started doing much outside at that point...plus she hadn't been doing agility for a couple months. She was a couple pounds heavier there.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 12th, 2006, 8:43 pm

It's all personal preference :|

I think the second is too smooth, the first looks good but if you wanted maybe a pound or two to smooth over one more rib.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » September 13th, 2006, 9:21 am

On Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:43 pm, mnp13 wrote:It's all personal preference :|

I think the second is too smooth, the first looks good but if you wanted maybe a pound or two to smooth over one more rib.

I agree :wink:
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Jesseca » September 13th, 2006, 1:01 pm

I think she looks awesome!
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health