Dry food Question

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby jlewin » August 24th, 2006, 10:37 am

I don't want to feed RAW or BARF. At least not until I know more about it. I was thinking of using Canidae, but a trainer a have a decent amount of respect for , Diane Jessup of workingpitbull.com says costco makes a perfectly acceptable dog food, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, as feeding my monsters can get pricey. I'll do what's best for them, just want to know what the acceptable options are. Nutrition is not my strong point, my nutrition or theirs lol.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » August 24th, 2006, 10:43 am

Diane Jessup of workingpitbull.com says costco makes a perfectly acceptable dog food

Don't listen to ANYTHING this old bat says. She is full of crap. I am sorry if she is a friend of yours but she is no friend of mine.

Canidae is an excellent food.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » August 24th, 2006, 10:52 am

Why don't you look around and see if you can find the ingredients of the Costco food and we can help you analyze them.

There are a good number of threads in this section about different foods, I'd suggest you take some time and read through them.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » August 24th, 2006, 10:57 am

I didn't mean to sound so rude. :oops: Just the mention of DJ's name makes me see red.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 24th, 2006, 11:03 am

There are numerous people on here who feed Canidae, and looking at the ingredients, it is a great food. Timberwolf is also a popular one.
That said, I think a couple people on here have also used the Kirkland's brand you speak of from Costco (made by Diamond).
Maybe they could shed light on this. Or if you could post the ingredients like Michelle said that would be good also
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby a-bull » August 24th, 2006, 11:09 am

cheekymunkee wrote:
Diane Jessup of workingpitbull.com says costco makes a perfectly acceptable dog food

Don't listen to ANYTHING this old bat says. She is full of crap. I am sorry if she is a friend of yours but she is no friend of mine.

Canidae is an excellent food.

lmao!! Yeah, but how do you REALLY feel, Cheeky??
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » August 24th, 2006, 11:12 am

I actually was just on the Costco site because Marinepits was talking about dog beds from there. (I don't have one near me so I was trying to see if I could become a member online).

The only dogfood I saw online was that Paul Newman stuff, which is organic. Is that the stuff??
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 24th, 2006, 11:15 am

It's probably the Kirkland brand that is made by Diamond. While it is not the worst food around there are many foods available that are much better.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » August 24th, 2006, 11:41 am

I know many breeders who feed Kirkland food.It's not the "best" but deffinetly not the worst out there.And 40# for 17$ is a good price IMO.
I only found the chicken-rice.BTW I also heard the Lamb formula is better in ingredientes.
Hope it helps! :)

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Chicken & Rice Puppy Formula- This food is a COSTCO Brand.

Ideal Protien Sources

Fresh, never frozen chicken is the number one ingredient. Fresh chicken helps enhance the flavor and provides your puppy with a superior taste. Plus, easy to digest fresh chicken and egg proteins make this an ideal formula for growing puppies.

Controlled Levels of Calcium

Calcium levels are controlled and guaranteed. Controlled calcium levels mean your puppy receives the correct amount of calcium for growth and development.

Controlled Omega Balance

Natural ingredients supply omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids to the Kirkland Signature Super Premium Chicken & Rice Puppy Formula. The proportion is carefully controlled to provide the ideal ratio, according to scientific research. Plus, a proper omega fatty acid balance helps maintain a shiny, healthy coat and a strong immune system.

Antioxidant Nutrition for Life-Long Health

Antioxidants are important for the life-long health of your dog. Vitamin E, Zinc, and Selenium are all present in guaranteed amounts for ideal antioxidant nutrition.

Chelated Minerals for Better Nutrition

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Chicken & Rice Puppy Formula contains chelated minerals which are easier for puppies to absorb.

Contains Natural Fiber

Dried chicory root is a fermentable fiber source the helps maintain gastrointestinal health.

Kibble Designed and Sized Specifically for Puppies

Easy to pick up and easy to chew, helps puppies get the nutrition they need to grow into an adult dog.

INGREDIENTS:

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, egg product, beet pulp, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein 28% minimum
Crude Fat 17% minimum
Crude Fiber 3% maximum
Moisture 10% maximum
Calcium 1.2% minimum
Phosphorus 1.0% minimum
Zinc 225mg/kg minimum
Selenium 0.4mg/kg minimum
Vitamin A 18,000IU/kg minimum
Vitamin E 250IU/kg minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum
Calorie Content
3,761 kcal/kg (356 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
AAFCO Statement
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby babyreba » August 24th, 2006, 11:44 am

if i were broke, or had many more dogs to feed than i do, i would feed kirkland food and supplement it with healthy whole foods to keep my dogs in shape.

it's far better, from what i can tell, than most store-bought foods.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 24th, 2006, 12:04 pm

babyreba wrote:it's far better, from what i can tell, than most store-bought foods.

True. I've also heard Paul Newman organics is pretty good which someone mentioned Costco sells too.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 24th, 2006, 12:08 pm

Let's look at the first 10 ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, egg product, beet pulp, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed

First of all, the first ingredient after the food has been processed is not "chicken" it is chicken meal. Once "fresh chicken" has been cooked down to remove all of the water it ends up waaaay down the list around position 8. Chicken meal is not a bad first ingredient though.

I don't like the "egg product" - what the heck is egg product???

I'm also not big on beet pulp.

The chicken fat seems to be pretty high on the ingredient list as well.

It's not horrible, probably a solid middle of the range food. However, I would go up in quality. You will feed less food on a higher quality food so the price pretty much evens out.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby jlewin » August 24th, 2006, 2:31 pm

thanks for the great info. i really should bone up on my nutrition knowledge, i tend to leave that to the pros lol. I believe I will try canidae as a local feed store here carries it so why not. Timberwolf is available around here too but I hate the store that sells it. They employ a trainer that struts around with his 4 intact male rotty's all on e-collars and of course under perfect behavior. criminal! I can tell his students by their owners proud struts and the dog's hidden tail.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 24th, 2006, 2:36 pm

I'm totally with you on not buying from stores that annoy me. Why support a shop with your money if you don't agree with them?

Canadae is very good food, so you're on the right track!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » August 24th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Check into Merrick Wilderness Blend, too. Right now if you buy the 30# bag, you get a free case of the canned. :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 24th, 2006, 2:41 pm

mnp13 wrote:I don't like the "egg product" - what the heck is egg product???

Albumin maybe? :|
Although if it is, they should just say that...
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » August 24th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Yeah, I would definitely go for the Canidae over the Costco stuff. If you can find Timberwolf or Merrick at a better store, I would feed that. Good luck!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby rockermom » August 24th, 2006, 5:44 pm

I use Fromm Family Foods and then I found a pet store that I love and it is sooo clean but they did not sell Fromm. They did sell Timberwolf but are going to stop stocking it due to changes. However they did tell me they will order any food I want I just have to tell them 2 wks advance. So maybe you should ask the store you like to order the food you would like.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » August 24th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Many of these foods can also be ordered via the internet for much less money. Some will give you a discount if you sign up for the "automatic food renewal" thing. This is where they automatically send you the food at a set interval of time....
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby jlewin » August 25th, 2006, 10:27 am

how about exclusive dog food from purian mills? I checked it out pretty closely and took home a few samples of "performance" for brie the pit and "senior" for my 8 year old greyhound. they ate it up and it looks nutritious. I tried that because I cannot afford the timberwolf, and they refused to eat the canidae!! and they eat ANYTHING!. i haven't bought the bags yet so if there are any big problems with this brand let me know but it seems ok and they like it.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health