possible food allergies

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby chewbecca » August 25th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Ella is on cephlexin 1500 mg a day for what the vet THINKS is a bacteria infection. She was not handling that well. It started out she was only vomitting a tblsp of food or a few, then went to more vomitting than that. The vet suggest pepcid right after she eats and then half an hour later give her the ceph.
We also got prescription shampoo. We give her fish oil with vitamin E and we were giving her benedryl but she isn't itching so we stopped that.
I've feeding her Nature's Variety raw instincts as of right now. She has stinky gas that I'm sure is from the antibiotic. Her hair is growing back in the spots and it was never that bad.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby chewbecca » August 25th, 2006, 5:53 pm

Hoyden wrote:We had the same exact experience with our dog Birdie. Same exact regimen of food, RX and soap was prescribed as well.

Through observation and trial and error, I discovered she was allergic to corn. I also discovered that she is sensative to large amounts of chicken, as chickens eat corn.

I've had her on Timberwolf for over a year and her coat literally stops traffic. No more rashes, staph infections or hair loss. Her fur has filled in nicely and started to thicken a little bit.

For months, I kept a food journal and logged everything. No one but me was to feed her unless I handed them the food/treat. I also logged what laundry detergent we used and what we did so that if a flare up occurred, I could look at what we did previously.

What T.O. formula do you use? We tried Ella on the Ocean Blue and she did great on it for a week but then decided that she wouldn't eat it. In fact, she never DID eat it with much enthusiasm.
But she had the healthiest poop and the least digestive issues on it.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » August 25th, 2006, 6:17 pm

chewbecca wrote:Ella is on cephlexin 1500 mg a day for what the vet THINKS is a bacteria infection. She was not handling that well. It started out she was only vomitting a tblsp of food or a few, then went to more vomitting than that. The vet suggest pepcid right after she eats and then half an hour later give her the ceph.

We usually did the pepcid 1/2 hour before feeding, then the cefa 1/2 hour after feeding.

The gas is probably from the antibiotic -- Mac was NASTY while on the cefa! He couldn't even stand his own funk, LOL!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby chewbecca » August 25th, 2006, 6:47 pm

See, the problem is (and I guess it really isn't a problem) that we don't know if the ceph is clearing up the skin condition or if the fish oil is clearing it up.
We don't even know if it's necessarily a bacteria infection. It's not bad, but the spots are sill there. The hair is growing back, but wouldn't you think that if it was bacterial that it would've cleared up by now since we're on day 13 of the antibiotic (she only needs it for one more day)?
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » August 25th, 2006, 7:05 pm

chewbecca wrote:See, the problem is (and I guess it really isn't a problem) that we don't know if the ceph is clearing up the skin condition or if the fish oil is clearing it up.
We don't even know if it's necessarily a bacteria infection. It's not bad, but the spots are sill there. The hair is growing back, but wouldn't you think that if it was bacterial that it would've cleared up by now since we're on day 13 of the antibiotic (she only needs it for one more day)?

It depends on how resistant the bacteria is and how compromised your dog's immune system is -- Mac went through almost a year and a half of 4 to 6 weeks on cefa then 3 weeks off. He'd be fine for a week or two after finishing the cefa, then his bully bumps and pyoderma (skin infections) would start all over again from his constant scratching.

What is your definition of "spots"? Are they just hairless spots or are they itchy and red, etc.

You may need another two or three weeks of antibiotics, but your vet would be the one to ask.

I am assuming you've gotten skin scrapings done to rule out possible demodectic mange or sarcoptic mange?

ps: If your dog has a bacterial infection, it will not be cured by using fish oil. Most bacterial infections need antibiotics to cure them, unless you choose to see if it will clear-up on its own. (By doing that, you run the risk of making the bacterial infection worse.) Some skin infections do clear up on their own, but I've never been lucky enough to see that happen in my dogs.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby chewbecca » August 25th, 2006, 7:12 pm

They're little like centimeter big circles without hair. They're about 2 inches apart from eachother. She mentioned ringworm, but basically ruled it out because she said that we would've gotten it by now and she used some lamp (granted, the lamp is only 50% accurate) on the spots. It IS clearing up, just maybe not as fast as I had thought it would.
It's not mange. Trust me, it's not that bad.
The spots don't itch her at all. I've NEVER seen her lick them or scratch them. They ended up on the side that she lays on and she came to us from the shelter with them. The shelter lady adopted two pitbulls from the same shelter and said hers had the exact same thing but she switched their food to Innova Evo and within 2 weeks the spots were gone.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby chewbecca » August 25th, 2006, 7:14 pm

oh hehehe, no, when I mentioned the fish oil I meant that if it's not a bacterial infection and just some temporary coat issues, then the fish oil would clear it up.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » August 25th, 2006, 7:34 pm

She mentioned ringworm, but basically ruled it out because she said that we would've gotten it by now

Not necessarily. Some people don't get ringworm very easily. I've been exposed to ringworm many times at the vet where I worked and never got it.

Sounds like your vet did all the proper testing and felt like your dog has pyoderma, hence the antibiotics.

Hair can take a while to grow back. If the spots haven't grown in significantly in the next six to eight weeks, have your dog rechecked by the vet.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby chewbecca » August 25th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Let me see if I can find any pics of her where you can see her spots.

And thanks for the info! :D
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby chewbecca » August 25th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Here we go.

Of course her spots are better than that now. That pic was taken over a week ago, if not two.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » August 25th, 2006, 7:56 pm

Yup, that looks like a bacterial infection. :wink: I recognize the pattern from seeing it on Mac so many times, LOL.

One other thing -- depending on her age, she may be growing into her adult coat. Dogs will shed their puppy coats and grow adult coats anytime between the ages of 9 to 18 months (sometimes a bit sooner, sometimes later). During that time, their coats can appear "funky" and uneven, may change texture, and sometimes even change color. Just something to keep in mind. Dogs' coats will also change due to stress, seasonal changes, and changes in diet, among other things.

Best things to watch for are excessive shedding and a patterned loss of hair (such as the spots your dog has now). Those can be signs of a medical issue.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby chewbecca » August 25th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Well, I'm glad she's on the ceph then.
Even though it's making her have smelly gas :D
She's 3 years old. I wish it was just her puppy coat.
The rest of coat is GLEAMING though.
Seriously. She gets compliments CONSTANTLY about her coat.

Thanks for your help!
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » August 25th, 2006, 8:24 pm

You are most welcome! Glad to help. :)
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » August 25th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Antibiotics can be HELL on the stomach because they also can kill the good bacteria. I always get sick on them, you may want to give her a bit of plain yogurt to help replace the bacteria in her tummy.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby chewbecca » August 25th, 2006, 8:41 pm

Does cottage cheese work the same way?
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » August 25th, 2006, 8:51 pm

You only have her on antibiotics for one more day -- I would just finish them as is and let her stomach balance itself out. She'll be fine in a day or two.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby nikki h » August 25th, 2006, 9:53 pm

my akita and his brother both have 42 allergies a piece, bugs, animals, plants, airborne, etc. as well as FOOD. when they were tested, everything showed up, including the food allergies.

We avoided all the positives and high boderlines to be safe. it was rough, but timberwolf organics is the only food my guy can have im pretty sure. (we searched for so many) there are a good deal more of canned foods as they are made much more awesomely now (and sometimes with 100% meat and as 100% intact fish or chicken parts, etc) than they used to be, so i can give him the canned as a treat.

RAW dieting will be very beneficial to us with his allergies, BUT, he also has a sensitive system, and with 4 dogs we need a much larger freezer and more money currently. :) LOL

Our purebred pit bull has some skin issues and some potential allergy issues also. so i have her on the same diet.

As stated, our two pound puppy mixed breeds are the only two who (so far, fingers crossed) have no issues! :|
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby Magnolia618 » August 26th, 2006, 12:18 pm

RAW dieting will be very beneficial to us with his allergies, BUT, he also has a sensitive system, and with 4 dogs we need a much larger freezer and more money currently.

Raw would actually be much cheaper than the Timberwolf. You probably dont need the second freezer unless you want to buy in bulk. :|
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby nikki h » August 26th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:
RAW dieting will be very beneficial to us with his allergies, BUT, he also has a sensitive system, and with 4 dogs we need a much larger freezer and more money currently.

Raw would actually be much cheaper than the Timberwolf. You probably dont need the second freezer unless you want to buy in bulk. :|

yes we did the raw for awhile. all 4 dogs arent on the TW, just the two. the others are on nutro. so, its roughly the same price wise for the 4 to be raw fed. its ten times easier to buy in bulk for the 4 of them. hawk weighs 110, is not neutered and is still filling out and maturing physically. hoss weighs 80, is neutered, but is still filling out, and then the girls both weigh roughly 65 pounds each. we'd need a lot of food just for one week's feeding, and that coupled with what we already have in our freezer just isnt enough room.

we started up again, but hawk's tummy had bad reactions. (he was fed the same as what he had been prior) he and athena both have very sensitive systems, but hawk i'm still trying to figure out whats best for him as far as the raw goes. i may try the pre-made, pre-packaged diet for him, and see how he does on that one when we can get a larger freezer. i just feel so awful for him as things are so limited. training was such a pain in the arse as he isnt treat/food motivated at all except for one thing...BEEF which hes allergic to. :x
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » August 26th, 2006, 1:23 pm

I feed 3 RAW & don't have an extra freezer, I only have my top freezer on my fridge. I buy their food every week or two and store some of it in the fridge. If you purchase chicken quarters in the 10 pound bags, I can fit 3 of them in my freezer. Of course it is pretty cramped in there for a while but I make it work.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health