Seizures

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby barbarak33 » August 20th, 2006, 1:25 pm

I've been told that it's common for Pit Bulls to have seizures. How common? 1 in 5? 1 in 50? Does the condition usually progress with the dog's age? Are behavioral problems more prevalent in dogs who have seizures?
barbarak33
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » August 20th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Never heard of such a thing . . . :|
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » August 20th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Not sure of the statistics, but from working in vet clinics I'd say the breeds that WE saw the most with seziure disorders were Burnese Mountain Dogs and Golden Retrievers. We also saw plenty of small dogs, usually the "teacup" ones (you know, the poorly bred BYB dogs) with seiziure disorders. The first seizure I ever witnessed was a "teacup" Poodle.

I have never dealt with a pit bull with a seiziure disorder.
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » August 20th, 2006, 10:51 pm

How about GSDs?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » August 21st, 2006, 7:13 am

msvette2u wrote:How about GSDs?

I've never personally met a GSD with a seziure disorder either. I have heard of Pano, and all of that good stuff, in GSDs, but that's it.

I wonder if it has to do with different breeding lines (obviously bad lines) that are concentrated only in certain areas of the US. I know there is a pretty big group of people with seziure Greyhounds out in the midwest, but none of the Greys we walk with each week (up to 50 at a time) has a seiziure disorder.
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby barbarak33 » August 21st, 2006, 7:44 am

I did some searching . . . this site explains it quite well.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/seizure_disorder.html

The first time Boots had a seizure I totally flipped out and would have definitely called doggie 911 if I could have. Now I'm pretty much used to it, although it's still not a pleasant thing to witness. The phenobarb keeps it under control but occasionally he still has one.
barbarak33
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » August 21st, 2006, 8:41 am

Your poor guy.. Two close friends both have their pets on the Phenobarbitol too. One cat, and one Miniature Dachsund. I've witnessed her other Dachsund(sp?) that is now deceased have one as well. It's a sad thing to watch, and even though he wasn't my pet I felt so helpless for the poor guy.
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » August 21st, 2006, 10:45 am

Poor baby. :( I've not heard of it being common in pit bulls either, the only dog I have ever owned with seizures was a cocker spaniel. He was also on Phenobarbitol which made him a zombie dog.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » August 21st, 2006, 12:14 pm

I've seen at least 3-4 pugs with seizures

there doesn't actually strike me as a particular breed that sticks out. Because the cause of seizures varies (brain tumors, out of control diabetes, epilepsy, etc) it'd be more difficult to breed specify.

I don't think its a Pit Bull related thing at all; now, if a particular pure bred line was predisposed to cancer, then they could have diabetic seizures (tumor that produces too much insulin) OR brain tumors etc, I would think. So tecnically, they wouldn't be prone to seizures, but to cancer, and the seizures as a result.

I believe seizures can also be caused by some types of pathogens, but I might be wrong

How often does Boots seizure and how many has he had? Has the Vet. given you a cause?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby barbarak33 » August 21st, 2006, 9:12 pm

Boots has had many seizures. He started having them when he was under a year old and he's four years old now. He's been on phenobarbitol twice daily for 3+ years. He'll still occasionally have a random seizure--they occur just after he falls asleep. If he starts having them regularly, I'll have him evaluated and get his dosage increased. I work full-time and I'm away from home all day, so it's difficult for me to know if he's having them regularly. He's always been kind of a wild and crazy dog--much like a hyperactive child--I don't know if that's one of the standard Pit Bull traits or whether it's just one of HIS traits. He doesn't like lawnmowers, vacuum cleaners and most things with small engines--he grabs ahold of them and has to be pulled off. The same goes for anything with a long handle . . . rakes, shovels, brooms, etc. I'm not sure if it's a trigger or just a form of play for him. I joined this forum so I could shed some light on some of his behaviors. :) --Barbara
barbarak33
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 21st, 2006, 10:56 pm

We had to put Inara's brother down when he was only 10 weeks old because he began having seizures on a Friday morning and they were still uncontrollable the following Monday. It was horrible, but the vet said he would probably have brain damage, and they couldn't bring him out from sedation w/o him immediately going into horrible seizures. Nobody figured out what was wrong with our little man. :cry: However, I've read in a couple places (sorry, can't remember where) that pits with his coloring are very prone to genetic disorders like epilepsy. He was a blue merle with blue eyes. Made me very paranoid about Inara, I can tell you that.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » August 22nd, 2006, 2:20 am

breeding merle with merle pits can cause lots of health issues, if I remember correctly...

FYI, with a seizuring dog, the more he seizures, the more he seizures; i.e. the seizures create more lesions on the brain wich make more seizures and do more damage; or thats my understanding of it.

I am glad that you've come here to learn barbarak :)

I doubt his behavior is linked to his seizures, unless you're unable to get his attention during it. With some of the more odd seizure behavior, one of the simple ways we are taught to check at work is to see if we can get the animals attention from whatever odd thing they are doing. Usually, its repetative, chasing the tail, obsessive licking or grooming, uncharacteristic behavior etc. Usually these are indications that a full on seizure is about to happen. I have also heard of seizures caused by stress.

Michelle, mnp13, has a dog who attacks her lawnmowers, weed wackers, leaf blowers etc. She may have some tips on how to train Boots out of that behavior.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » August 22nd, 2006, 6:34 am

One breed for which seizure disorder CAN be common is the malinois. Luckily, my little girl has never had one (knock on wood, please)....

As far as going after things with engines, this is usually more out of fear than aggression. I expose all my puppies to loud noises and things with engines....Unfortunately, it may be one of those things you will never control. However, one way that might work (my friend has a GSD that attacks her Dyson, and this is what she did) is to use obedience. Obedience is obedience. Get some strong obedience. Specifically, get a strong stay. Teach the dog to go to his "spot." When you get ready to mow the lawn, vacuum, sweep, etc, tell him to go to his "spot." Stay means stay NO MATTER WHAT. Other than that, I'm not sure what method you could use to work through it....unless you just had someone feeding him something really yummy while you're doing it...however, coddling him might make him think that there is something to be afraid of.
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby a-bull » August 24th, 2006, 2:25 pm

Malli wrote:breeding merle with merle pits can cause lots of health issues, if I remember correctly...
stress.

No, I actually looked that up on "Snopes," and it's not true. :wink:
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 24th, 2006, 2:40 pm

a-bull wrote:
Malli wrote:breeding merle with merle pits can cause lots of health issues, if I remember correctly... stress.

On this one, I'm going to strongly disagree with Snopes.

The Merle gene is a recessive gene and with Merle to Merle you get a pile of recessives that can lead to many problems - including still birth. Recessive genes are recessive for a reason, they often are not the healthiest gene for survival of the species.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » August 24th, 2006, 2:47 pm

mnp13 wrote:
a-bull wrote:
Malli wrote:breeding merle with merle pits can cause lots of health issues, if I remember correctly... stress.

On this one, I'm going to strongly disagree with Snopes.

The Merle gene is a recessive gene and with Merle to Merle you get a pile of recessives that can lead to many problems - including still birth. Recessive genes are recessive for a reason, they often are not the healthiest gene for survival of the species.

Wow, you're easy. I was joking. I own one who is vision impaired, etc., lol.
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 24th, 2006, 2:49 pm

a-bull wrote:Wow, you're easy. I was joking. I own one who is vision impaired, etc., lol.

uh... yeah... I knew that. I was just playing along... yeah, that's it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » August 24th, 2006, 2:59 pm

mnp13 wrote:
a-bull wrote:Wow, you're easy. I was joking. I own one who is vision impaired, etc., lol.

uh... yeah... I knew that. I was just playing along... yeah, that's it.

I know . . . I knew that . . . it's only funny 'til someone loses an eye.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 24th, 2006, 3:02 pm

a-bull wrote:I know . . . I knew that . . . it's only funny 'til someone loses an eye.

And then it's fuckin' hilarious! :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » August 24th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Who knew Michelle was like taking candy from a baby?? :wink:

:purpleBanana:
a-bull
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health