Cuts

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Big_Ant » August 17th, 2006, 3:09 pm

This might be more for the Working/High Drive people but what do you use for cuts and scrapes?

Weda got herself pretty good in the chest coming out of her kennel for training, ad had a few small nics that she ended up just making worse.

I normally keep some anti-bacterial cream from a vet, but the ones I had expired, and I won't have time to get around to getting anything from a vet for a while.

I know the neosporins and a couple of other old school methods, but just curious what other things some of you have used.

I used a combo petrolium/antibacterial on her the other night, and it actually worked probably better than the vet brand cream.

It forced the scabs off, and kept the wound cleaned up and protected.

Just curious if anyone else has other 'home-remedy'/'old school' methods for treating cuts.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 17th, 2006, 3:11 pm

I know lots of people rave about Bag Balm/Udder Cream.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hoyden » August 17th, 2006, 3:17 pm

I use a green gunk from Burt's Bees that is for wounds on both the dogs and the kids. It seems to work pretty good as not one of the four have any really nasty scars despite the things that they have done to themselves.

To prove my know-it-all nurse mother wrong - we did the bandaid with neosporin on one knee and bandaid with green gunk on the other test when the Gremlin scraped up her knees.

The Green Gunk-ed wounds healed much faster and had almost no scarring.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Malli » August 17th, 2006, 3:17 pm

I use Polysporin cream, Hibitane cream (with chlorhexidrine, an antifungal/antibacterial) and then vetwrap or coflex or whatever you want to call it over the wound site to protect it if Os is libel to reopen or reinjure it.
He gets cuts, gashes and scrapes on his feet all the time. The dry grass in a field can do it even. He even skinned 1/2 the pad on the back of his leg off, that was a nightmare of bandages and veriton (bandage protectant so he wouldn't lick) for a couple weeks!

I feel your pain :shock:

He isn't even that active and he manages to bang himself up.

Malli

[it appears I can't spell anything today so I have to edit]
Last edited by Malli on August 17th, 2006, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » August 17th, 2006, 3:20 pm

Riggs' neck looked like hamburger after last week's trip to the lake. I sprayed it with Bacetracin twice a day and it's mostly healed up.

He also ran through the fire pit twice (evidently one set of burns and blisters wasn't enough). Those all scabbed over nicely though.

Unless it's really deep or nasty I just leave them alone and let them heal.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 17th, 2006, 3:44 pm

I use this one shampoo that is a antiseptic, its called Septiderm-V and this is what the description says:
Relieves itching due to skin problems that may be caused by hot spots, flea bites, dermatitis, rashes and skin allergies. In addition to its antiseptic action, it is a very effective deodorant shampoo and excellent grooming aid. Regular bathing plus the use of Septiderm-V Lotion on all areas where inflammation, hair loss or sores are evident will provide relief from intense itching of bacterial skin infection.

And they have a balm that I follow up with and a lotion too but I've enver used the lotion. The shampoo makes the coat super soft too!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 17th, 2006, 3:48 pm

does Rory have skin problems?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » August 17th, 2006, 3:54 pm

Hoyden,
Do you have a link to info on the Green Gunk? It sounds interesting.

Where would someone find that on the West Coast (California)?

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Big_Ant » August 17th, 2006, 3:55 pm

mnp13 wrote:He also ran through the fire pit twice (evidently one set of burns and blisters wasn't enough). Those all scabbed over nicely though.

Wow! Did Chris mention that before you took him?

That would be funny as hell on an adoption form.

"Dog likes to jump through fire. Will consider placing in a Circus Performing Home!"

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 17th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Last edited by mnp13 on August 17th, 2006, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » August 17th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Marinepits » August 17th, 2006, 4:13 pm

mnp13 wrote:Riggs' neck looked like hamburger after last week's trip to the lake. I sprayed it with Bacetracin twice a day and it's mostly healed up.

He also ran through the fire pit twice (evidently one set of burns and blisters wasn't enough). Those all scabbed over nicely though.

Unless it's really deep or nasty I just leave them alone and let them heal.

Damn! Riggs needs a helmet, too! :shock:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » August 17th, 2006, 4:15 pm

I usually clean out the scrapes with hydrogen peroxide and then put a nice layer of neosporin or bacitracin or BagBalm (whatever's handy) on it once, then let the scrapes heal on their own.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » August 17th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Nah, he just needs some sense of self preservation... lol

the ball bounced around the back of the fire pit, and instead of going around, he went through. Later on the same day he took the long way back after getting the ball... and ran through it again. He didn't notice either time. :rolleyes2:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » August 17th, 2006, 4:17 pm

mnp13 wrote:Nah, he just needs some sense of self preservation... lol

the ball bounced around the back of the fire pit, and instead of going around, he went through. Later on the same day he took the long way back after getting the ball... and ran through it again. He didn't notice either time. :rolleyes2:

Okay, I don't mean to laugh, but that really is kinda funny! I would have been horrified and in hysterics at the same time! (I'm glad he's okay.) :backRoll:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 17th, 2006, 5:00 pm

mnp13 wrote:does Rory have skin problems?

Oh thankfully no but the poor thing has no hair on her undercarrieage so when we go hiking or tromping through thr grass she gets scraped up. She gets rashes sometimes from the sand at the beach and she'll irritate it by scratching. She is also sensitive to a lot of shampoo's so I found this one to be bland yet helpful. I hear often about pittie allergie or skin problems, is it common? I'm starting to get nervous as she gets older about the possible afflictions that can arise but I've been pretty lucky so far!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 17th, 2006, 5:04 pm

OOh I use Burt's Bee's stuff for me but have never tried the green stuff and it looks way cheaper then the balm I have, I think I'll grab some of that stuff too!
Oh also in a emergency one time Rory had some nasty bugs bites that she couldnt help but go scratch crazy on and the only thing I had on me was this mix of tea tree oil with Vitamin E. I was hesitant to use it on her becuase I didnt want the tea tree oil to sting but I used it on me a gazillion times so I thought what the heck and oh man it was awesome. You know Australians use it for everything from dandruff to atheletes foot to soothing cuts, sores, or abbrasions so I thought it would be ok. I wouldnt use it on a open wound like the original poster asked for but I continue to use it on bug bites for Rory.
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 17th, 2006, 5:11 pm

how often do you bathe her?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 17th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Who Rory? Um I'd say every week and a half or so, I try to go as long as I can without her stinkin cause the vet said not to bathe to often so I dont wash away her natural oils. Meanwhile I will get a wash cloth warm and use a eye dropper to put a couple drops of tee tre oil on it to loosen up any dirt on her tummy, soothe any irritations and add a good clean smell and I try to remember to giver a her once or twice over with a soft boar's brush everyday to get dirt or dander off but I cant say I remember everyday. Before I started with the warm rag and tea tree I used these cleaning cloths the vet gave me (for $13, ugh) but they kinda left a residue and almost made her tummy sticky and she always tried to lick it off which I thought probably wasnt the best since it had alcohol in it even though it says safe for licking. She dosnt do that with the small amount of tea tree oil, I think she likes it casue the rag is warm. Oh I'll get in between her toes and in the center of her feet and armpits too. I never realized how much gunk can accumulate in the ball of their paws.
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » August 17th, 2006, 5:45 pm

every week and a half or so

Holy moly! :shock:

Oooh... the Burt's Bees stuff is comfrey salve! My sister makes that stuff. I have a couple little jars hanging around my house. Works GREAT!
Magnolia618
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health