Dexter's Feet

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Purple » August 11th, 2006, 9:19 pm

He's licked them raw.

He started the allergy shot regimen on July 10. He's allergic to basically everything outside.

He was put on antibiotics previous to starting the regimen, because his feet looked sore, but he was not licking them. He just got off another 20 day round of antibiotics. He went to round two, because as soon as the last RX ran out, he started licking his feet again. Now, he's licking them again, what is the antiobiotic connection?
The past week, since being off the antibiotic, he is lethargic, we literally have to drag him outside (could be the sore feet). All he wants to do is sleep. He eats good, we have been feeding him a bit less, but no weight comes off him. He enjoys his walks, but acts like he just ran a marathon when he gets into the house, he plps on the couch or bed, and doesn't move the rest of the day.

He came to us with demodex, which is is free and clear of.
He has OCD, we can distract and avert it.

I am caling the vet tomorrow to see if we should get more antiobiotics, and I would like him seen.
Purple
I live here

Postby msvette2u » August 11th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Is he licking them because they are sore, or making them sore with licking? Have you tried that Hot spot medication they sell OTC? Sulfadene I think is what it is called, I used to have to use it on my Springer when she had to be inside, she hated it inside and wanted outside.
OCD could cause the licking, couldn't it?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Purple » August 11th, 2006, 9:56 pm

msvette2u wrote:Is he licking them because they are sore, or making them sore with licking? Have you tried that Hot spot medication they sell OTC? Sulfadene I think is what it is called, I used to have to use it on my Springer when she had to be inside, she hated it inside and wanted outside.
OCD could cause the licking, couldn't it?

I think it may be a little of both. I would blame it on the OCD, but he didnt do it the whole time he was on the antibiotic. I would say the OCD kicks in, afterwards, and he can't stop the licking.
I will have to try that Sulfadene. Is it for humans or do I have to go to a pet store for it?
Purple
I live here

Postby msvette2u » August 11th, 2006, 10:44 pm

Walmart has it, it's yellowish, and right there with the dog stuff. Petsmart or whatever would have it too. The main thing is to apply it using a cottonball with TONGS or tweezers, do not touch the stuff.
It works, partly I think, by tasting so gawdawful horrible and if you touch it with your fingers, the taste will stick on there for ages. Trust me on this.

http://www.sulfodene.com/medfordogs.htm
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Purple » August 11th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Note to self...make sure husband applies stuff.....

Thank you, will go out tomorrow and get some.
Purple
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 12th, 2006, 12:11 am

Yep, OCD will make the licking continue, Munkee does it. His left ankle has an almost constant hot spot on it. It clears up, he starts again, over & over. I have medicated him, bandaged him ( that only made him start a place over the bandage) and it got to the point that I couldn't afford to keep doing it. I benadryl him & medicate the spot when he starts but that's the best I can do. After two years of medical visits I had to draw the line, he did it no matter WHAT course of action the vet tried so I figured, if he's gonna do it anyway, I'll treat it the best I can OTC. I have used the Sulfodene & it works as well as any thing the vet gave him. But like I said, once it heals..............
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » August 12th, 2006, 4:21 am

veriton cream is another option. They use it to prevent licking of wounds on animals. I've used it on Oscar's feet.

Some prednisone (from the vet, of course) might help stop the itching and break the cycle.

For at least 6-8 months, Oscar licks his feet. The only time he doesn't lick, is when he is on Pred.

Wiping the feet down or shampooing them frequently with a medicated shampoo may help as well if contact with something is creating the issue.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 12th, 2006, 7:35 am

Poor Dex...Inara sends her love and volunteered to let him come to our house to try a change of scenery.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Miakoda » August 14th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Pododermatitis...............gotta love it. :D Wrigley used to chew his feet until he was barely able to hobble around & was leaving bloody pawprints on my floors. However, ever since he's been on DVP's he only does it very rarely (usually if the hubbie gives him treats or something). Of course, he's a known food allergy dog allergic to all but the finest of ingredients 8)
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Purple » August 14th, 2006, 8:42 pm

He's such a dork, he has them licked raw. We had the collar on his head, but he keeps getting stuck or face planting himself on the floor.
We keep cleaning them up, but I'm a thinking that he need another round of antibiotics...
Purple
I live here

Postby a-bull » August 14th, 2006, 9:08 pm

Miakoda wrote:Pododermatitis...............gotta love it. :D Wrigley used to chew his feet until he was barely able to hobble around & was leaving bloody pawprints on my floors. However, ever since he's been on DVP's he only does it very rarely (usually if the hubbie gives him treats or something). Of course, he's a known food allergy dog allergic to all but the finest of ingredients 8)

wait . . . what's DVP's??
a-bull
I live here

Postby Purple » August 14th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Dick VanPatton....it's dog food, dogs eat it....jeez, back to square one with you...mahahahah
Purple
I live here

Postby a-bull » August 14th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Oh man, you mean the zillions of dollars on tootsie remedies and all I need was to change dogfood . . . again??

So my girl is on the Merrick, and doing better, but the tootsies are still an issue. What is it about the DVP??

I may just give up and buy her shoes.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Purple » August 14th, 2006, 9:16 pm

I think I read somewhere that you can get it at Petsmart......
Purple
I live here

Postby Purple » August 14th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Purple
I live here

Postby Emi » August 15th, 2006, 11:29 am

How's Dexter's feet doing Purple.. poor guy ..
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Purple » August 15th, 2006, 3:10 pm

Thanks for asking! The same. We are picking up another round of antibiotics today.
Purple
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 15th, 2006, 4:41 pm

I'm tellin' ya Vicki, had you sent him our way for some sweet Inara-lovin', he'd be cured by now!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Emi » August 15th, 2006, 4:49 pm

Poor guy , hope he get's better soon...

have you tried booties on his feet Vicki ... I know i know sounds weird ..
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Purple » August 15th, 2006, 5:26 pm

He will pull anything we have on his feet off, it's like it gives him something else to do since he can't lick!
Purple
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health