Spoiled rotten Rory wont eat

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 6th, 2006, 6:43 pm

So about twice a week I will mix in wet food with Rory's dry food as a treat and its never been a problem until now. This week I lost track of schedule and fed her wet food 2 days in a row, that was thur and friday. Well since then she will NOT eat her plain dry food. Everytime I open the refigerator where there is half a can left with foil over it she sticks her big nose in there like "I want that stuff". I havnt given in yet, almost started to wonder if she is sick but she is still drinking water and being her usual bratty self. But she hasnt eaten since friday evening! My mom went to go pick her up today from my house and said that Rory looks skinnier, ugh I wanna giver her a spanking (not literally)!
So how long should I hold out?
My meddelsome mother said she is going to mix a raw egg in her food, thats what we do when she dosnt get wet food , I tried to tell her no, dont give in but my mother thinks she knows best, who woulda thought? lol!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Purple » August 6th, 2006, 8:48 pm

We mix wet food with their kibble everynight! We split one can between the four dogs.
Right now they get Merrick canned and Merrick kibble! You can either suck it up and give it to her every day, like a good mommy OR wait her out, she'll eat when she's hungry!! :)
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 6th, 2006, 10:17 pm

Put her food down for 20 minutes and if she doesn't eat, pick it back up. Keep doing it. She'll eat eventually.

You can't do this with cats because of Fatty Liver, but it works very well with dogs.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » August 6th, 2006, 10:22 pm

I've held out for 5 days before. I think Oscar ate about 4 cups in that entire time, wich is usually what he'll eat in a day.
He wanted fancy stuff on his food since I'd been spicing it up to get him to eat at certain times for medicine.
There is NO way my dog is going to dictate to me what I feed him. Thats like letting a 4 year old decide what to eat, it'd be all ice cream and candy.
I say just let 'em suffer :lol3:
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Magnolia618 » August 6th, 2006, 10:24 pm

What they said.

Set the food down for 20 minutes. Pick it up and wait untill the next day. She will NOT starve herself and she will get the hint.

Good luck!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Amen to what everybody else said - you're in charge, not her! Layeth the smacketh down!!!!

I'm such a dork! :oops:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 7th, 2006, 3:27 pm

I would eventually like to be able to feed her wet food everyday to give her variety on top of her boring ole dry food but she has a sensitive tummy. As she is reaching adulthood I've noticed it has gotten stronger so I've slowly been mixing in the wet food but now that I know she is being a punk about the whole ordeal I'm hesitant to give in.
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » August 7th, 2006, 3:32 pm

I've discovered for dogs who like "wet food" often I can trick them by adding some warm water to their food, it makes it slightly more flavorful, I think, and makes them think they are getting something new/different :)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 7th, 2006, 8:45 pm

msvette2u wrote:I've discovered for dogs who like "wet food" often I can trick them by adding some warm water to their food, it makes it slightly more flavorful, I think, and makes them think they are getting something new/different :)

Ooh good idea!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health