Best $1.88 I've spent in a long time

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BullyVW » January 25th, 2006, 5:10 pm

We love bullies in this house
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby turtle » January 25th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Maryellen wrote:items my dogs will never get again:

pigs ears
rawhide
cow hooves(never had and never will)
anything rawhide/pig like
greenies
plastic bones

Hummm, why are Nylabones bad?

I've let my dogs chew them for 20 plus years and not had a problem, except for them leaving the hard Nylabones on the floor so I step on them at night and hurt my foot!

I only get the Original Durable ones in the Souper size and all my dogs have enjoyed them. They chew them down into little "vampire" stakes which get tossed if they are too small.

My current dog sometimes bites about a 1/2" piece off but I do watch her when she has it and she does not have it unsupervised. Some dogs don't like them but mine does and they are not stinky to have in the house.

I don't let her have any of those other things but the Nylabones are a popular item here. She also loves raw marrow bones and gets those outside. The cleaned left over marrow bones do get brought it, but they seem awfully hard for her teeth. I noticed the other day she had a chipped molar, sigh...

I do let her have some bully stick but again not much and she loves those stinky things...
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby BullyVW » January 25th, 2006, 8:39 pm

Nylabones will....er....can break apart and your dgos could swallow them. I swear, pits can eat ANYTHING.
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Sue » January 25th, 2006, 8:51 pm

I give mine Galileo bones. There have been 3 floating around for over a year, you can tell they have been chewed on, but they are essentially the same size as they were new.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Maryellen » January 25th, 2006, 9:19 pm

the regular nylabones.. like the dinosaur ones and the edible ones.. i only give the galileo bones here, they dont break , and mine chew them but then forget about them and prefer the marrow bones...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby turtle » January 26th, 2006, 1:08 am

Ahhh, thanks! I don't give any of the "edible" ones nor do I give greenies. She has a Galileo but she does not like it!

She does like her Original Durable Nylabone Souper which looks like it's the same material as the Galileo. I do watch her and she just chews them, she's not broken any big pieces off it.

She's made more holes and damage on her Kong and she ignored that unless it has food in it. The Nylabones I get are always the big hard ones, I started with those way back before they had all those other choices! I did get her a huge green hard chew toy made by the greenies company, it's not an edible and she likes it too.
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Favorite Kitty » January 26th, 2006, 9:54 am

I grabbed Haven a few of those Bully Sticks a month ago. They didn't have a price tag on them, so I just grabbed a handful and brought them to the counter. They were $4.99 a piece! I almost fell over when the cashier told me my total! I could have gotten him one of everything else in the store at that price. He does love them, though. But he can finish it in a half hour. That's a short time at $5 a whack. I give him raw bones, also. He can chew on those for days if I take it away every couple hours. THOSE stink, though. His crate is in my room and it makes it stink for hours after he is finished with his bone. YUCK!
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » January 26th, 2006, 11:07 am

wow... I gave Connor and Ruby a six inch veal bone each - they were gone in just under 2 hours. The only thing left were 2 inch chunks that were too small for them to hold on to while they chewed.

Veal bones are nice and soft, but thick enough that they don't splinter.

I have an entire rib cage worth of rib bones, but they turn into shrapnel in under 30 seconds so that's out.

I don't give smoked or processed bones to the dogs.

Hooves are fine, they are just really thick fingernails. They stink because cows walk in cow poop all day. :)

I think bully sticks are gross though, plus they are basically smoked rawhide, so I don't the dogs to have them anyway. It's sooo gross to clean up rawhide puke. ewwwwww.

Raw pigs ears are great, but trust me, you don't want one in your house.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » January 26th, 2006, 12:00 pm

mnp13 wrote:I think bully sticks are gross though, plus they are basically smoked rawhide, so I don't the dogs to have them anyway. It's sooo gross to clean up rawhide puke. ewwwwww.

Bully sticks aren't rawhide. They're bull penis'.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 26th, 2006, 12:16 pm

concreterose wrote:Bully sticks aren't rawhide. They're bull pee pee'.

I know, but it is still smoked skin - no matter where that skin came from. :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » January 26th, 2006, 12:28 pm

mnp13 wrote:
concreterose wrote:Bully sticks aren't rawhide. They're bull pee pee'.

I know, but it is still smoked skin - no matter where that skin came from. :wink:

Yeah, but still a big difference from rawhide. Pookie used to tear off big chunks of rawhide and then yak them back up or get constipated. I'm lucky she never got impacted. WHat a stinky, slimy mess! That's never happened w/stinky sticks, they digest them completely. I get what you're saying about the skin thing though. Plus they're not full of preservatives like rawhide (which may be why they smell SO bad).
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby panda » January 26th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Cinder,

I buy the bully sticks on occasion if I can find them reasonably priced and my dogs love them. I bought a 30" one the other day and my hubby sawed it into 4 equal pieces for Panda & Hooch.
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby CinderDee » January 26th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Favorite Kitty wrote:I grabbed Haven a few of those Bully Sticks a month ago. They didn't have a price tag on them, so I just grabbed a handful and brought them to the counter. They were $4.99 a piece! I almost fell over when the cashier told me my total! I could have gotten him one of everything else in the store at that price. He does love them, though. But he can finish it in a half hour. That's a short time at $5 a whack. I give him raw bones, also. He can chew on those for days if I take it away every couple hours. THOSE stink, though. His crate is in my room and it makes it stink for hours after he is finished with his bone. YUCK!

I just bought 20- 12" bully sticks on eBay for $1.35 ea.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby BullyVW » January 26th, 2006, 1:40 pm

concreterose wrote:
mnp13 wrote:I think bully sticks are gross though, plus they are basically smoked rawhide, so I don't the dogs to have them anyway. It's sooo gross to clean up rawhide puke. ewwwwww.

Bully sticks aren't rawhide. They're bull pee pee'.

What I have learned is that VERY few of the companies that "produce" bull sticks still use the bull's penis. Prices on bully sticks have dropped a bit here because they're just pressed meat and fat....but companies like Merrick still make the orginal.

Rawhide bad...bullies, good.

Oh, and $4.99 for a bully, no matter real or fake, is ridiculuos. For a 36" real one...I have seen them for $7.99
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby concreterose » January 26th, 2006, 2:07 pm

CinderDee wrote:
Favorite Kitty wrote:I grabbed Haven a few of those Bully Sticks a month ago. They didn't have a price tag on them, so I just grabbed a handful and brought them to the counter. They were $4.99 a piece! I almost fell over when the cashier told me my total! I could have gotten him one of everything else in the store at that price. He does love them, though. But he can finish it in a half hour. That's a short time at $5 a whack. I give him raw bones, also. He can chew on those for days if I take it away every couple hours. THOSE stink, though. His crate is in my room and it makes it stink for hours after he is finished with his bone. YUCK!

I just bought 20- 12" bully sticks on eBay for $1.35 ea.

:eek1: That is dirt cheap!!! Do you have a link? I don't know how to buy stuff off of ebay though, don't you have to bid or something?
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby BullyVW » January 26th, 2006, 2:13 pm

BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 26th, 2006, 2:16 pm

yes Mill, you have to bid.. but if there is no reserve and you are the high bidder its up to the owner to accept your bid. ebay takes either pay pal, a credit card or check, which you pay tothe seller directly.. as with everything, make sure the item is real, and worth the price. you can also email the seller and ask questions as well..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » January 26th, 2006, 2:18 pm

OK I bid. Now how do I know if I get outbid or not?
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby CinderDee » January 26th, 2006, 2:27 pm

I wasn't going to be around, so I just used the buy-it-now.

Here's the auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-12-BULLY-STICKS-FREE-RANGE-GRASS-FEED-BULLS_W0QQitemZ7726691058QQcategoryZ20750QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Millicent, they will email you if you're outbid, but try to wait until the very last minute to place your final bid so you don't get into a bidding war.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » January 26th, 2006, 2:30 pm

yep, listen to dee, you dont want to get into a bidding war and pay too much.. you can use the buy it now to just purchase it, you can retract your bid if you want, and if they are selling the bully sticks at a buy it now price you can compare prices and if the prices are great, then hit the buy it now price.
Maryellen
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health