Constipation

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 12:08 pm

Justice is constipated, I noticed last night it took her a while to poop & this morning she was straining quite a bit. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable yet & was able to poop but not much. I am going to add more fiber to her food but what can I do for her now? Is there anything I can give her to help "smooth things out" until the fiber starts to do it's job? Would adding a bit more oil to her food today give her some immediate relief?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby babyreba » July 25th, 2006, 12:18 pm

stool softener helps a lot. go to rite aid or somewhere like that and look for something called Colace . . . there's also a generic brand of it that's the same thing but cheaper.

it's not a laxative, it's called stool softener. it draws water to the colon. it works wonders for Reba, Miss Constipation herself!

according to my vet, dosage varies . . . start with one pill, then wait about 12 hours to see if she's able to expel anything. if not, give her another and wait another 12 hours . . . if she doesn't produce in 48 hours and she's uncomfortable, you might need to see the vet.

hope that helps!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » July 25th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Have you ever seen the stool softener commercial where the woman is sitting on this hard uncomfortable bench, she takes the stuff and it turns into this big luxurious couch?

rofl rofl rofl
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 12:31 pm

Thank you!!! Yes, stool softener was what I was trying to think of. I knew I didn't want to give her a laxative! :shock:

Yeah, I have seen that Chea!! :D

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 25th, 2006, 12:50 pm

You could also give her a raw egg, or some liver. That'll make things start sliding! :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby a-bull » July 25th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Morning Glory muffins . . . wait, is this for you or your dog??? :D
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 1:23 pm

a-bull wrote:Morning Glory muffins . . . wait, is this for you or your dog??? :D

Dog, but I am sure she will eat them!! :D I have IBS, I need NO help in that department. :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » July 25th, 2006, 1:27 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
a-bull wrote:Morning Glory muffins . . . wait, is this for you or your dog??? :D

Dog, but I am sure she will eat them!! :D I have IBS, I need NO help in that department. :wink:

Thanks for sharing. :P

I think I'd go with something natural/gentle added to her diet so you don't end (no pun) up with the opposite problem.

Be aware of blockages or underlying problems, as I'm sure you are.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 1:41 pm

I knew you were curious! :) :wink:

I was even thinking of buying a small bag of cheap dog food to get her going. She has raw egg several times a week & just had liver, but I am sure more won't hurt her. Yeah, I would much rather go a natural route for her but I want to give her some immediate relief. I will try a stool softener but it is not going to become a habit, I just want to get her started & let diet changes take over from there. She has been constipated several times in her life but this time it seems to be lasting a bit longer than normal. I do know she needs more fiber and I have been skimping on giving them fish oil.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » July 25th, 2006, 1:52 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I knew you were curious! :) :wink:

I was even thinking of buying a small bag of cheap dog food to get her going. She has raw egg several times a week & just had liver, but I am sure more won't hurt her. Yeah, I would much rather go a natural route for her but I want to give her some immediate relief. I will try a stool softener but it is not going to become a habit, I just want to get her started & let diet changes take over from there. She has been constipated several times in her life but this time it seems to be lasting a bit longer than normal. I do know she needs more fiber and I have been skimping on giving them fish oil.

Is she older?

Yeah, maybe if she's use to the fish oil in her diet, the skimping is a diet change that wreaked havoc. Maybe rather than a stool softener, just get rolling again with the fish oil.

I skimp on fish oil, too---tending to give less than what I should because it's so darn expensive!
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » July 25th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Oh, and regarding your IBS . . . post pics. That would be fantastic.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 1:56 pm

a-bull wrote:Oh, and regarding your IBS . . . post pics. That would be fantastic.

You got it!! :D

Nope, she is 3. I skimp on it because I forget it. I really am leaning towards doubling or tripling up on it for a day or two to get her rolling.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » July 25th, 2006, 2:04 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
a-bull wrote:Oh, and regarding your IBS . . . post pics. That would be fantastic.

You got it!! :D

Nope, she is 3. I skimp on it because I forget it. I really am leaning towards doubling or tripling up on it for a day or two to get her rolling.

Oh wow, she's young.

Yeah, the amount of fish oil you're suppose to add to their food is pretty hefty for bigger dogs anyways. Maybe just try the required dosage and then kick it up a notch if you don't have any luck?
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 2:09 pm

I am going to start adding vegetables back into her diet too. Munkee & Ollie do just fine without them but I think her system needs the boost.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 25th, 2006, 5:30 pm

Oh God don't give her kibble! Inara got into the foster dog's kibble, only ate maybe a cup, and can I tell you about the liquid poo she had the ENTIRE NEXT DAY????? Granted, it would solve your problem, but you'd both be miserable! (sorry, I didn't take any pics! :wink:)
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Well apparantly she has cured herself of her constipation by taking a HUGE dump in my bathroom acording to my daughter. :shock:
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » July 25th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Oh no!!

rofl
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby concreterose » July 25th, 2006, 6:34 pm

:fastRoll:
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 25th, 2006, 6:47 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Well apparantly she has cured herself of her constipation by taking a HUGE dump in my bathroom acording to my daughter. :shock:

Well, she's home, so she'll clean it up, right?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 10:17 pm

Oh yeah, sure she willl. :(
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Nutrition & Health