I'd never feed Pedigree...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2006, 11:04 pm

but I do like their commercials, their shelter dogs commercial even has a Pit mix.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby girlie » January 24th, 2006, 11:06 pm

Unfortunately it's the cute commercials that put that crap into too many puppy bellies.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Hoyden » January 24th, 2006, 11:11 pm

I had pedigree left over from when I switched to Timberwolf.

I put it out for the squirrels, but THEY wouldn't even eat it.

I fed it to the evil attack blue jay from hell
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2006, 11:13 pm

pitcess wrote:Unfortunately it's the cute commercials that put that crap into too many puppy bellies.

yeah, I know...

but they are CUTE!

evil attack blue jay from hell

:fastRoll:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmyangels » January 24th, 2006, 11:18 pm

Hoyden wrote:I had pedigree left over from when I switched to Timberwolf.

I put it out for the squirrels, but THEY wouldn't even eat it.

I fed it to the evil attack blue jay from hell

:bigGrin: That gave me a good laugh regarding the "Evil Attack Blue Jay From Hell"
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » January 24th, 2006, 11:19 pm

mnp13 wrote:but I do like their commercials, their shelter dogs commercial even has a Pit mix.

I liked the commercial too. But I don't feed Pedigree.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Hoyden » January 24th, 2006, 11:19 pm

mnp13 wrote:
evil attack blue jay from hell

:fastRoll:

That flippin' bird has tried to peck Petey's eyes out.

The dogs hide under the table on the deck.

I put the pedigree WAY at the end of our property to keep them away from the house.

I'm ready to shoot that darn bird.

Woah - I need to proof read before I hit submit!
Last edited by Hoyden on January 25th, 2006, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby luvmyangels » January 24th, 2006, 11:28 pm

That flippin' bird has tried to peck Petey's eyes out.

The dog hide under the table on the deck.

I put the pedigree WAY at the end of our property to keep them away from the house.

I ready to shoot that darn bird.

Poor Petey. That is insane. I never saw a bird try to do that. :eekHair:
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby jmb06 » January 25th, 2006, 8:06 am

LMAO That is so funny about the bird. We have a Cardinal that loves to torment Patches. She has a high prey drive, and this bird just keeps on whizzing by, as close as it can get but still out of the dog's reach, and the poor dog practically chokes herself trying to jump at this bird.

I got desperate a few weeks ago thinking Patches had food allergies, and tried Pedigree Lamb and Rice. She hates it. Mind you, I didn't realize I was almost out of food for her until the holiday weekend, and grocery stores carry almost all junk.

Maybe if I put this stuff in the neighbor's yard the bird will torment their St. Bernard??? :twisted: LOL
jmb06
Just Whelped

Postby Emi » January 25th, 2006, 8:28 am

lol about the bird ...

Scott has a bird that likes to call to Oliver, they will sit out side, Oliver on the one chair , and the bird on the fence or tree...

It starts out chirping at Oliver, then Oliver will meow, keeps going on like this as long as Oliver is out side, Scott says he's about to go insane ... :D
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » January 25th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Someone told me once to feed a litter of puppies I was fostering Purina Puppy to save money. I was like please be kidding......
They got Wellness puppy
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Jaime » January 25th, 2006, 4:56 pm

Doreen wrote:Someone told me once to feed a litter of puppies I was fostering Purina Puppy to save money. I was like please be kidding......
They got Wellness puppy

:helloClap: good for you, doreen! i would NEVER feed purina at all!
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Pitcrew » January 25th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Good for you guys... doin your homework on foods/diets and passin the word :) Boy I talk to SOOO many people who just dont get it :rolleyes2:
I keep meaning to check out Timberwolf, but cant find it around here.

Speaking of cute commercials sellin crap food... Kibbles N Bits owes their business to naive people and cute commercials.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 25th, 2006, 9:50 pm

lisa, http://www.timberwolforganics.com they deliver!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby turtle » January 26th, 2006, 1:41 am

Yes, I order my Timberwolf on line, it's great food and my dog loves it. It only took a few days to get here.

She was fed Pedigree at the shelter before I got her and it's lousy food, full of corn and chemicals. Cute commercials but to the less informed, they sell the product...
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Karen » January 26th, 2006, 9:18 am

Well flame me all to heck and back........ Cuddles and my dogs eat Pedigree. When they were on premium foods she was really sick all the time and Tes couldn't handle the protien so his mange would flare and he'd get bald patches, they had disgustring slimy stools. Switched them to the Pedigree and no runs, no bald spots, and no spikes in 'lytes on Cudds. I just think it depends on the dog what food they do well on. The corn doesn't bother me that much because for years while measuring out the grain for the horses the dogs would pick out the corn by the mouthful
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Favorite Kitty » January 26th, 2006, 9:30 am

But, Karen, dogs can't digest corn. They don't need it in their diets at all. Have you ever heard a doctor say that we shouldn't use corn as one of our veggies a day because it can be dangerous? It has almost no nutritional value, even less when dried, and can cause internal bleeding? And this is in adult humans!

Horses eat it because they are herbivores. What are dogs? It is good to give them some fruits and veggies, but healthy ones. There are good lists out there. Corn is used as a cheap filler in crap pet foods. I really wish you would talk to dog nutritionist about what foods your pets would do well on. You can actually shorten your pets life by feeding them these kinds of pet foods.

There are many good foods out there now, and they aren't even much more expensive than Pedigree. Do it for your pets.
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby Karen » January 26th, 2006, 9:51 am

Favorite Kitty wrote:But, Karen, dogs can't digest corn. They don't need it in their diets at all. Have you ever heard a doctor say that we shouldn't use corn as one of our veggies a day because it can be dangerous? It has almost no nutritional value, even less when dried, and can cause internal bleeding? And this is in adult humans!

Horses eat it because they are herbivores. What are dogs? It is good to give them some fruits and veggies, but healthy ones. There are good lists out there. Corn is used as a cheap filler in crap pet foods. I really wish you would talk to dog nutritionist about what foods your pets would do well on. You can actually shorten your pets life by feeding them these kinds of pet foods.

There are many good foods out there now, and they aren't even much more expensive than Pedigree. Do it for your pets.

What part about them already having been switched to premium foods did you miss? The best food is the one that works for that dog. That's what it boils down to. As far as what I do with my dogs etc. I think I know more about their diet and watch them for every sign of anything at all more than the average pet owner.

After going through the self induced anorexia and the side effects of switching foods, if she wants Pedigree then she gets Pedigree. That's what it comes down to. What good are premium dog foods if the dog starves its self rather than eat? Been there done that.
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Jaime » January 26th, 2006, 10:26 am

have you read the label on the pedigree? not good stuff
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 26th, 2006, 10:47 am

i think what karen is saying is that every dog is different.. her dogs do well on pedigree.. and if cuddles medical issues are being kept with good readings because of the pedigree, then its working for her.. not every one can switch to a better food, whether its for money reasons or health reasons.. while i HAVE to feed a better food because of my one dogs allergies to grains, karen by feeding pedigree her dogs are doing fine on it.. if her dogs were throwing up, getting bald spots , having mange come back from a different food then the simple solution is to go back to what works best for the dog.. yes, corn is a filler, so is rice wheat and soy, beet pulp, etc.. but for karens dogs the pedigree IS working..
my aunts dalmation was fed purina his whole life. he was just put to sleep at 12 years old for health reasons.. the dog was not sick a day in his life while younger,. but once he hit 11 he went downhill.. could it have been the food? maybe. the vet said he was full of cancer, and his legs had given out.. it also could not have been the food..

what works for one might not work for others, and while we would all love to see all dogs on a healthy diet, some dogs just cant for whatever reasons..
Maryellen
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health