I'd never feed Pedigree...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » February 2nd, 2006, 11:55 am

My grandfather's best friend, Mr. Sherman, is 96 and has been smoking a pack a day of unfiltered Pall Malls for over 70 years.

Using the 'I know so-and-so who feeds Purina' arguement, we should all smoke Pall Malls to ensure living to 96, right? No. Of course not.

There are tons of people who have pets who are fed crap food every day of their lives and live to 18 years of age. There's a good reason for this, if the animal was going to be killed by crap food it would have been dead LONG before.

My cat, Mordred, died of acute liver failure at age 2 1/2. He was fed nothing but high grade food from the day I adopted him. He would still be here if I had just fed him Meow Mix, right? Hardly.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » February 2nd, 2006, 12:16 pm

I didn't mean it's the best way to feed. I just kinda laugh to myself when I hear them say "purina" or whatever.
Genetics must be considered. Some smokers never get C, some non-smokers do.
Who knows... :|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pLaurent » February 2nd, 2006, 2:40 pm

Ruby is on Merrick (doggy crack),

Someone mentioned this food to me (I had never heard of it) so I bought Chloe a can of Grammy's Pot Pie as a Christmas present.

Now Chloe eats every meal as though it's her last, but as soon as she caught a whiff of the food, she actually jumped and twirled for it! I swear she inhaled it in one lump.

The smell of it made MY mouth water!
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jaime » February 2nd, 2006, 3:11 pm

pLaurent wrote:
Now Chloe eats every meal as though it's her last

LMAO! my dogs do that for the nature's variety!
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 2nd, 2006, 4:12 pm

pLaurent wrote:Now Chloe eats every meal as though it's her last, but as soon as she caught a whiff of the food, she actually jumped and twirled for it! I swear she inhaled it in one lump.

Ruby does that at EVERY meal time. As if I don't feed her twice a day every day. I keep saying I have to video her 'dinner dance' and 'breakfast boogie'
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » February 2nd, 2006, 5:20 pm

pLaurent wrote:
Ruby is on Merrick (doggy crack),

Someone mentioned this food to me (I had never heard of it) so I bought Chloe a can of Grammy's Pot Pie as a Christmas present.

Now Chloe eats every meal as though it's her last, but as soon as she caught a whiff of the food, she actually jumped and twirled for it! I swear she inhaled it in one lump.

The smell of it made MY mouth water!

Here is my post the day after I got the first bag of Merrick:

Title - Merrick Turduken has arrived...
And it has crack in it.

Last night I arrived at Demo's and checked the food out. it actually has real dried vegetables in it with the kibble.

It is important to note that the bag of EVO is in the kitchen on a chair. it just sits there and the dogs ignore it. So I'm looking at the bag of Merrik and Ruby is standing next to me (mind you it's 1 a.m.) and Connor walks up. She goes after him. I calm them down. So then I grab a small handful to check it out. Connor is still in the room. Ruby rushes him and starts again. I tell her to knock it off and then hand feed both of them. We head in to go to bed. Ruby is sniffing my hand to see if I have more food to give her, and Connor is on the other side of me. She evidently smells a crumb on my fingers and goes after Connor again.

She's an addict - after only a single half cup mixed meal. We'll see how it goes tonight. I hope she actually does well on it.

Michelle
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pLaurent » February 2nd, 2006, 6:54 pm

I'd like to put Chloe on the Merrick dry, but am afraid to find out the price. Her Wellness already sets me back nearly 70$ a bag.:(
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Sariss » February 2nd, 2006, 7:09 pm

My Aussie has been on Pedigree her entire life. I've been trying to convince my parents to switch her to a better food, but it's hard to switch them.

They figure if our old Bouvier lived a great life for 14 years on crappy Presidents Choice dog Chow, that the Daze can live on this crap.
Sariss
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » February 2nd, 2006, 8:02 pm

pLaurent wrote:I'd like to put Chloe on the Merrick dry, but am afraid to find out the price. Her Wellness already sets me back nearly 70$ a bag.:(

Merrick is $40 for a 30 pound bag here.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » February 2nd, 2006, 8:03 pm

Sariss wrote:My Aussie has been on Pedigree her entire life. I've been trying to convince my parents to switch her to a better food, but it's hard to switch them.

They figure if our old Bouvier lived a great life for 14 years on crappy Presidents Choice dog Chow, that the Daze can live on this crap.

Maybe ask them about all the people like Mr. sherman (see my post above) and ask them if they think you should start smoking a pack of unfiltered cigarettes a day sinck he's still alive and kicking at 96.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health