hairloss

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » July 20th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Lately, Riggs has been dumping hair. Like, a lot of hair. I didn't think much of it because he has a lot of hair. His white hair is longer than his brindle hair, and most of the hair seemed to be his white hair so I was hoping that he was finally dumping all the "old" hair and thinning his coat down to be nice and short and tight like Ruby and Connor's coats.

uh... no.

He's just about bald on the fronts of his back legs, lower front legs and one side. His brindle patch that has been getting lighter has not been getting lighter, it has been getting thinner.

I switched him from Merrick to EVO at the beginning of the month, he has no dandruff, no eye boogers, his breath isn't rank and his poop is realtively firm and non-stinky. but... I prefer my dogs with hair thank you!

Has anyone every seen this before? This evening Riggs got a bone for dinner, hey baby welcome to raw!

how long does hair take to come back?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby tradewind » July 20th, 2006, 9:05 pm

Hey Michelle,

I think have Riggs brother here :greenWave: :greenWave: ..

Is Riggs coat feel extra oily or dry ?? and does he have any bumps on him, that have little scabs ? Just wondering where I went thru something similiar with one of my girls, my vet friend said it was fungus related due to all the wet weather we have.

I have had no problem with the EVO, but I usually have it mixed with other high quality kibble. I also supplement with Salmon oil, and kelp, along with Nutro and I just started using Canine Complete to try that.

Monique
tradewind
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » July 20th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Yes, you do! (and you also have a PM!)

His coat feels a little coarse to me, but there are no flakes and no scabby areas. The super thin hair in the "balding" spots feels almost hard, but that may be because it is not laying in with other hair.

Once or twice a week they get a whole egg in their food, but that's the only supplimentation they get.

I fed EVO to Ruby for about 8 months right after it came out, she did fantastic on it, which is why I went to it when I decided to go off of the Merrick. When I run out of EVO I'll switch her to raw as well, and the cats too.

What did you do for the fungus?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » July 20th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Michelle,

Look into The Missing Link Plus. There's a ton of supplements in there. I had a dobie that had an awful skin/hair issue (alopecia - which is genetic in dobies)...and this helped a ton...even more than just the raw!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby tradewind » July 20th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Riggs situation sure is strange. I know EVO is high protien, maybe he is not adjusting well to it from what he was on before. I'll say this, I am a firm beleiver in Salmon oil, from coat and skin, to providing heart health and other benefits, and kelp for coat and skin. Between the EVO and the raw eggs, he might need a little extra supplementation.

If you do switch to RAW, I always recommend some type of supplements to make sure they are getting everything they should. Once again, mine get Salmon oil everyday, and I alternate the kelp and Nupro/Missing Link. I always rotate supplements so the dogs are getting what they need, and I was told by a holistic feeder that rotation is very good for their bodies. For RAW, mine get chicken, duck, turkey, beef, salmon, whole mackerel, buffalo, chix ribs, necks, duck carcasses and necks.
They eat better than we do :D .

I treated my girls condition with a month of cephalexyn ( 1,000 mg a day) and a rinse/treatment from Equine Elite called Rain Rot Relif. I actually always keep this on hand, it does wonders for coat and skin conditions, and they have a wound relief also.

http://www.equineelite.com/
tradewind
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » July 20th, 2006, 9:44 pm

I'm pretty sure it's the food, only because in June I was complaining that his coat was still longer than Ruby's is. I switched them to EVO, and I guess I got what I wished for! lol

It's not the end of the world, most likely no one but me will even notice.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » July 20th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Cook your eggs!! There is a certain biotin (I hope I'm remembering this correctly) that binds with hair growth, in raw eggs. I can't remember if it's in the yolk or the whites. Either way it can harm hair growth as opposed to help it. Even though I feed a raw diet, I always scramble the eggs I give the boys, never a raw egg in this house.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » July 20th, 2006, 10:14 pm

hmmm... back to research then....

We had this same discussion on PBF that dogs can't use the proteins in cooked eggs.

I'll look up "my" side, you look up "your" side and we'll compare notes. Sound good?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » July 20th, 2006, 10:17 pm

Well my side is on game-dog. I'll look it up tomorrow. Too tired and lazy tonight. But they have some damn good nutritional info there which my vet (an avid raw feeder, a pit bull owner, and a vet who actually has a clue about nutrition) agreed with.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby tradewind » July 20th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Didn't know about the raw egg issue. Mine get an egg a week, give or take. Looking forward to the information that you guys come up with.
tradewind
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » July 20th, 2006, 10:20 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Well my side is on game-dog. I'll look it up tomorrow. Too tired and lazy tonight. But they have some damn good nutritional info there which my vet (an avid raw feeder, a pit bull owner, and a vet who actually has a clue about nutrition) agreed with.

cool...

I just want to read and make an informed decision!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » July 20th, 2006, 11:17 pm

All you need to do is boil the eggs for about two minutes. This will cook the white enough so that the avidin doesn't bind the biotin. The yolk doesn't cook at all.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » July 21st, 2006, 8:52 am

http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthre ... ght=biotin
There's info on both pages explaining it all.
SisMorphine

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 21st, 2006, 10:25 am

He could have an allergy to something in the Evo

If it contiunues even on a different food and he has no skin infection that is visible, I'd get the thyroid checked to rule that out

hopefully it is food related

good luck
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby msvette2u » July 21st, 2006, 12:42 pm

It's the egg white, not yolk.
If I were you I'd bring him for labs. There's a few things that can cause hair loss - your vet would be able to test his blood, it's not spendy even, or at least it wasn't here.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » July 21st, 2006, 1:33 pm

I'm not worried about money, the pets have their own credit card with a nice high limit. They don't want for any medical care ever.

I'm going to switch him to raw and give it some time.

EVO seems to be an "all or nothing" food. The dogs do fantastic or badly, with little middle ground.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby satanscheerleader » July 23rd, 2006, 7:21 am

There are a few different things mentioned on this site like seasonal flank alopecia and Follicular Dysplasia. Could be something along those lines....
http://www.newmanveterinary.com/Skin.html
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 23rd, 2006, 10:49 pm

Riggs does not have mange, so please don't make that a focal point of any responses to this question.

so, since that is all cleared up... those of you who have had a dog with mange, how long did it take for the hair to grow back in and look healthy?

If the EVO was the problem, I know it can take a few weeks to get that out of his system, but after that, I'm wondering about the new hair growing in. I really don't want to have to put a coat on him when it starts getting cold in November.

ETA: changed wording on the post.
Last edited by mnp13 on July 23rd, 2006, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » July 23rd, 2006, 11:32 pm

Why don't you just take him in, have the vet do a skin scraping or at least look at it, at least you'd KNOW what's wrong instead of guessing?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » July 23rd, 2006, 11:35 pm

Because I've seen what mange looks like, I have read about mange, seen pictures of mange and that is not the issue unless he has a new form of it that has never been documented.

I just want to know how long it has taken other dogs to grow their coat back in fully.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health