Struggle with raw...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ellie@ny » July 18th, 2006, 7:22 pm

So... :)
I always had to force my dogs to eat raw.They just eat a little or nothing.
I never had this problem with another dogs,only with my "vicious" pitbulls...
So last week Friday I decided I won't give them anything else but raw( I feed them half kibble-half raw,but seems to me almost only kibble because they don't eat too much raw..)and if they don't eat -they will starving.
At day two Nico was enough hungry to realize that there is no more kibble so he ate couple of chicken backs(little ones).....
Maya at day 3, decided to eat one little piece of chicken back,and that was it.Today Nico ate all his food(FINALLY!) chicken backs mixed with liver,and Maya didn't touched her freakin food again........... :x
I just wanna kill her...Today is day four and she only ate one chicken backs in four days...She lost weight,Nico too,wich is not bad,buit I'm only worried because the weather is freakin hot right now.They still get their regular excercise every day(to make them hungry...)and she still refuses her food...
How long will this going on???I just want to kick her :pissed:
Anyone had same problem before for that long? :|
I know I have to stick with it,and she just trying to play me,but still???
Last edited by ellie@ny on July 18th, 2006, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » July 18th, 2006, 8:30 pm

My foster took about 5 days (?) maybe more. I would give her a day or two. Have you tried boiling the chicken for a few seconds?
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » July 18th, 2006, 8:45 pm

I know she would eat then,but the thing is I don't want to SERVE her anymore!!!!!
I'm tired of that!She should be happy to get food!!!! lol
And the other reason is why I wan't her to eat raw,cause that will keep her teeth clean and shiny...
Ahhh bitches.......... :x
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 18th, 2006, 8:58 pm

i had to hand feed the raw chicken covered in garlic and salmon oil to my gsd before she realized it was ok to eat..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 18th, 2006, 9:12 pm

Out of my 3 dogs Teddy my oldest who is 7 1/2 y/o took a little over a week to realize Raw was what he was going to eat and that was it. When it comes to chicken I skin it for them which I found made it easier for them especially on their stomachs. I also was using some premixes which I found easy. There is a great place in Huntington Station called Armellino's Turkey Delight. They have all different mixes if you are interested.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » July 18th, 2006, 9:27 pm

Ok so I went to take a quick shower,and I let the food for her out,and she ate almost everything!!!I guess It's a start!
Now I will give them only raw for a week or two,then how should I get them back to half kibble-raw?
The reason I wan't to give them just a little kibble is,because it's so much easier to feed with them when we're travel.
Mary Ann!I would like to get info on that place! :)
Thanks everyone,will see how they will act tomorrow. :wink: ...
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 18th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Why not just keep them on raw?

Grocery stores are everywhere. :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » July 18th, 2006, 9:55 pm

I know.........and you're right....I just tought it's easier..for me... :D
Specially when you go camping...lol
I'm afraid after a week they will forget about kibble....So then I won't torture them,they just pretty bad eaters,not like some dogs that would eat anything-anytime!I wish that!!! :)
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby luvmyangels » July 18th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Since we are going through such chaos in my house (we are getting my house ready for an open house this weekend) I am giving 1/2 Raw & 1/2 Kibble because I keep forgetting to defrost things ahead of time. It is called pure laziness because I am so frazzled but the dogs seem to be fine with it. As long as they are eating they are happy. I am using Timberwolf as the kibble. Once the craziness is over we will go back to all Raw.

Armellinos Turkey Delight
Melville Rd
Huntington Station, NY 11746
(631) 271-6599

They are right off of Jericho Tpke just East of Walt Whitman Mall.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby mnp13 » July 18th, 2006, 10:07 pm

Get a small cooler and freeze the meat, then it will keep itself cold. The other option is to take some of the money you are saving with feeding raw and invest in a cooler that runs off the electric in your car. You'd just have to plug it in to cool it after you open it. I'd imagine it would last for quite some time.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/refriger ... /P26.shtml
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » July 18th, 2006, 10:12 pm

After the seminar this weekend, Mark is considering feeding raw.

I just contacted a butcher who is convinced I am a lunatic.

I told him I wanted to buy 50 lbs. of meat twice a month. And wanted certain cuts for the dogs.

That's approx. 25 lb. per dog per month and 50 lbs. for us. (Yes - I looked at the grocery receipts - we eat 50 lbs. of meat a month here! My husband is addicted to the BBQ grill)

He told me to stop by, so I did on the way home from work with Birdie in tow. You should have seen the look on his face when I came in with a Pitbull on a leash! It was hysterical!
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby ellie@ny » July 19th, 2006, 7:12 am

Mary Ann thanks!I will check it out on the weekend!
Michelle I was planning to get one of those after a bad traveling experience,I guess It's really time!Thanks for the link!

BTW Noel...........50#????? lol
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » July 19th, 2006, 9:43 am

I'm lucky I guess, my dogs will eat what ever I put in their bowls, none of them looked twice when I switched to raw. And I agree, traveling is no problem whem feedign raw, no need to stock up or even pack meat with you. Just stop at a store & pick up what you need for the day. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » July 19th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Good news!Both cleaned their bowls in 5 minutes tonight!!!
No more struggle!!! :D
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Hoyden » July 19th, 2006, 11:44 pm

ellie@ny wrote:

Mark will grill up 10Lb. of brisket and ribs or beef shoulders and ribs in a single weekend! No joke!

He got a smoker for Father's Day so he's putting it to good use! Of course I always give the dogs a couble of raw ribs for dinner when we have ribs.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby katiek0417 » July 21st, 2006, 10:10 pm

ellie@ny wrote:Mary Ann thanks!I will check it out on the weekend!
Michelle I was planning to get one of those after a bad traveling experience,I guess It's really time!Thanks for the link!

Last weekend was the first time I traveled with raw....it was SO much easier than dealing with kibble, measuring it out....

Sacha gets 1.5 patties 2x a day...nisha gets 2 chicken thighs 2x a day....I have a mini fridge for my truck....stayed cool all weekend!!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Nutrition & Health