Help! My friend is feeding Beneful...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 12th, 2006, 3:00 pm

To her pug puppy...
She's only had the puppy a few weeks, already switched the dog's food a couple times, and is now feeding the Beneful Healthy growth food for puppies. I just looked at the ingredients, and it is heinous....
The thing that gets me about Beneful is the colors!! Hello, do you think your dog cares that its kibble is red, yellow or green?
I would like to suggest a better food to her. We fed our foster puppies Wellness puppy, but what else do you guys suggest that is a good puppy food? The sad thing is I doubt she'll be able to afford anything better. Honestly, she shouldn't have got this dog, and oh, last week she bought a Dachsund puppy from the pet store and it hates her pug and now needs a home for it. That tinkles me off as well but that's a whole other story....
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Maryellen » July 12th, 2006, 3:21 pm

have her put the dog on purina or wellness .if she wont go to a better food i think its better then beneful..

contact dach rescue i am sure they will scoop up the little pup asap. they are located in CT..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 12th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Ok I'll tell her. Good idea about the Dach rescue too...I found contact for a lady in Waterford, CT is that right?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Maryellen » July 12th, 2006, 3:29 pm

my contact is Angie Miller.. she is in CT, i just dont know where.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 12th, 2006, 3:32 pm

alright...thanks!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby concreterose » July 12th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Take her some samples of some premium foods...most pet stores have tons of them.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 12th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Premium foods cost less because you feed less so the bags last longer.

I have an excellent home looking for a small breed young dog, if it's still available. I'm 100% sure they will be more than happy to travel to get it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 13th, 2006, 9:32 am

Really? It's in Fall River, MA

Right now I believe it's being treated for salmonella....
It's sounds like a great only dog, just likes to lay on laps and what not.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 13th, 2006, 9:33 am

concreterose wrote:Take her some samples of some premium foods...most pet stores have tons of them.

Good idea! I could just be like, oh I saw these and thought you might like to try them...
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » July 13th, 2006, 10:01 am

SpiritFngrz wrote:Really? It's in Fall River, MA

Right now I believe it's being treated for salmonella....
It's sounds like a great only dog, just likes to lay on laps and what not.

Yes really. lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » July 13th, 2006, 10:54 am

An inexpensive, but decent puppy food is Wellness or Purina Pro Plan for puppies. A lot of people say "Purina this, Purina that." But the fact is this: they spend more money on animal feeding research than any other company. While maybe not the best food out there with the best ingredients, Purina's purpose is to provide a food that is easily digested, well-tolerated, and inexpensive for pet owners....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Sarahdee » July 13th, 2006, 11:51 am

wow, I must be an idiot. I don't know anything about dog food.
i'm sorry guys, but whats wrong with beneful?
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 13th, 2006, 12:39 pm

We had some kibble debates a while back. Here are those links:

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3535

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=161

I think it describes in those threads what you want to see ingredients-wise in a good kibble.
Here are the ingredients for Beneful Healthy Radiance:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon, brewers rice, soybean meal, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, soybean oil, animal digest, water, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, green beans, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, copper sulfate, biotin, garlic oil, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite. B-4092
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 13th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Maybe we can pick this apart as an example. Meat really should be the first ingredient, instead, corn is. The second ingredient is chicken by-product meal. Not chicken, but chicken by-products- beaks, feet, feathers, whatever's left over.
There's also artificial coloring in it- does a dog really care if its pieces of food are yellow or red? No, that's just pleasing to the human eye.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » July 13th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Wow. Everytime I see the Beneful list it makes me gasp. I have a lot of clients who think it's the healthiest thing to feed because of the packaging and the advertisements, but the first ingredient is corn! Scary.

I think a good starting point when learning about animal nutrition is the book Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Dr. Pitcairn. Though for many this book is used as a jumping off point for raw feeding, there is a good portion of the book which explains commercial pet foods and their ingredients, and also what is healthy for dogs and why. I definitely suggest picking it up.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Sarahdee » July 13th, 2006, 2:31 pm

Thanks for the info guys!
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 13th, 2006, 2:35 pm

:highfive:
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » July 14th, 2006, 9:26 am

I was feeding him IAMS and he was eating it all at first, but then he started to not eat it all.
so I would take it away when he would walk away, thinking he would eat later.
then I bought a small bag of the beneful because I really didn't have any money and it was only $5.
He loved that food! he chowed it down.
so yesterday I went back and bought another huge bag of the IAMS and he only ate half the bowl. He just is not interested in that food.
what do you think I should do? try something else?
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » July 14th, 2006, 9:57 am

go to http://www.canidae.com and feed him canidae. its a dry food, my crew are on it.. its better then iams.. and more nutritional, and cheaper..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 14th, 2006, 10:11 am

Go RAW - it's the healthiest and it's no more expensive than a high-end kibble. :D
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health