Getting Fat Again

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SisMorphine » July 10th, 2006, 8:44 pm

So I worked very hard to take weight off of Halo. He came to me pretty overweight and I had taken about 8 pounds off of him, with still another 5 or so to go.

Well starting last week I was looking at him and thinking he was gaining weight again. Impossible. He still eats the same amount I've always fed him, and he's getting more exercise now that he's off of crate rest. I was highly perplexed.

I mentioned it to my sole employee last week. She said she gives him treats when she takes him out (she works the day shift for me twice a week). How many treats? "Well you know that bag on your counter? [ed: HUGE back of treats, could feed a small army of dogs, have had it since January and have barely made a dent] Have you noticed it's been going down?" No, I don't really give the dogs treats so I haven't noticed anything since my hand is never in the bag. "Oh, well I give him a handful everytime I put him back in his crate." A HANDFUL?! So that means that on the days I'm gone he gets 3-5 handfuls! That's 6-10 handfuls of treats a week! $#@%$@%^#^$#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I worked really hard to take the weight off. From now on I will no longer keep treats in the house (just in the kennel) and will instruct her not to give him any kennel treats. He was looking SO GOOD and now he's starting to look like a lardass again. I'm bummed.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Purple » July 10th, 2006, 8:53 pm

Wanna cookie?
Purple
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » July 10th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Purple wrote:Wanna cookie?

Oh you shut the hell up. *shakes angry fist*
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby katiek0417 » July 10th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Have you thought about baby carrots or frozen string beans as treats. I've found that you can give a good number, and the dogs don't gain weight....that's what I did when I was taking the weight off Sacha....I still do it b/c she likes them...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby msvette2u » July 10th, 2006, 9:31 pm

I'm sorry, but that is funny!! lol
When I worked in Alaska at the long term care facility, there was this cocker mix named Muffin. She was sooo overweight, maybe should have weighed 25lbs. and weighed at LEAST 40lbs. She was like a SEAL. Everyone in the place would feed her. And then she'd come up to me after dinner when I'd clean up people's trays, and look at me like she was starving to death!! :| I couldn't help it! I'd toss her some scrap or another!
Whatcha gonna do, ya know??? Those dogs have us wrapped around their little paws!!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby lipshipsattitude » July 10th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Yup give that fatty some fruits and veggies! He he! Poor baby, its all your fault, ha ha!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » July 10th, 2006, 9:40 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Have you thought about baby carrots or frozen string beans as treats. I've found that you can give a good number, and the dogs don't gain weight....that's what I did when I was taking the weight off Sacha....I still do it b/c she likes them...

I do give him carrots. He splits a carrot every night with my rabbit. I just have cookies on hand at all times, but personally rarely ever give them to my dogs.

They're definitely going to be under lock and key from now on. He's fat, and Wally is a couple of pounds overweight and now I know why he is too.

*sigh*
SisMorphine

Postby Purple » July 10th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Wanna donut?
Purple
I live here

Postby hoagiesmomma » July 10th, 2006, 10:04 pm

I think you should kick the employees ass.

seriously.

:D
hoagiesmomma
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Luokkala » July 11th, 2006, 8:10 am

My 92 year old neighbor used to feed my dogs his leftover lunches from lunches out - until he gave Taylor Sweet and sour chicken and I thought he was bleeding (won't give the remainder of the visual, but it WASN'T pretty!). He doesn't do that anymore. :P
Luokkala
Just Whelped

Postby Magnolia618 » July 12th, 2006, 8:22 am

I would be kicking some ass. I cant stand my dogs to be fat! lol
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health