Sticky Subject-Vet Bills

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby KaylasMomJenn » July 10th, 2006, 12:16 pm

With Marshmallows newest issue, I have ran into a serious problem. What are you supposed to do if your dog needs surgery and you can't afford it? I can't see putting a 1 1/2 year old dog down. I'm at work crying my eyes out. I called numerous vets to see if we could do a payment plan (they all said no), applied for Care Credit (got denied), and called the SPCA hoping they could give me some help. I even looked in to colleges around the area that have vet programs that might be able to do it. All its getting me is nowhere.
Does anyone have ANY suggestions? I'd sell every last peice of clothing I owned to afford her surgery, I have a few credit cards, but none with limits that high, I am going through a divorce and because of that, bills aren't getting paid (they aren't mine, they're yours) I know there was a bit of an arguement back about not being able to afford this or that, but this dog is fed the best of food, and we did take her to the emergency vet, we were just UNPREPARED for something this costly to happen to such a young dog. I am barely able to concentrate at this point, they are hand feeding her because she just won't get up to do anything.

If not any suggestions, thanks for letting me lift that off my chest. I'm not sure of any other group of people who appreciate dogs like I do to understand how upsetting this is.
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » July 10th, 2006, 12:22 pm

It's a crappy situation to be in, for all involved.

Personally, I have an open credit card that's dedicated to the dogs just for situations like this.

I have heard of folks who take their income tax refunds and put it on their account at the vet's office, in case of emergencies.

Your family friend who is a vet -- does he do orthopaedic surgeries? Maybe he can give you a break on the price or do a payment plan?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » July 10th, 2006, 12:30 pm

KaylasMomJenn wrote:I have a few credit cards, but none with limits that high

Can you spread the vet bill over multiple credit cards? Not the best financial way to handle her surgery, but if you gotta do it.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » July 10th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Perhaps your vet friend, if he does not do surgeries, would contact another vet on your behalf and vouch for you? Most vets know other vets in the area.

If you and your ex share custody of the dog, could you split the cost of the surgery?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 10th, 2006, 12:33 pm

That is awful!

Good advise was posted already I hope that helps

What is wrong with her?

I hope she pulls through

Hang in there
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Marinepits » July 10th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:What is wrong with her?

I hope she pulls through

Blew her ACL. :(
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » July 10th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Unfortunately most vets offices won't do payment plans, especially for surgeries that high. It really blows that you didn't get accepted for Care Credit because that is by far the best way to go. You could put it on credit cards, or take out a personal loan from the bank (depending on the interest rates it may be a better idea than maxing out a handful of credit cards.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 10th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Not that this will help now but I wonder if it is worth it to get pet medical insurance? Does anyone here have it and is it useful?

As for now, I wonder if you could do what Marinepits said and split it between the credit cards? And then maybe split it with your ex? There has to be a vet somewhere around you that is willing to work with you. There is a vet school near me and in fact I think they would be more expensive.

Let us know how little Marshmallow is doing, she is so cute.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 10th, 2006, 12:40 pm

SisMorphine wrote: You could put it on credit cards, or take out a personal loan from the bank (depending on the interest rates it may be a better idea than maxing out a handful of credit cards.

That's actually a good idea, your own bank would probably give you the best interest rate.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 10th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Pet insurance won't help after the fact. They won't cover pre-existing conditions. I got it just for situations like this.

Please keep us updated on poor Marshmallow. If you have a paypal account, I'd be willing to send a small amount (can't afford much) your way - maybe others would do the same? It would at least help a smidge. :hug3:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » July 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Didn't you say you have a relative who is a breeder? Can s/he help you out with a vet? I would think, being a breeder, that your relative would have a good relationship with a vet.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » July 10th, 2006, 1:05 pm

Boy that sucks. I can relate, Copper (our rescue doxie) has a bad back now, the type that long backed dogs get. We'll never be able to afford surgery if his back goes out completely. We are the same way, our dogs get routine care and vaccines, visits if sick or injured but a huge expense like surgery? We just would be really strapped if it happened.
We should have gotten him insurance ages ago - if anyone can, they should get the insurance.
Sorry about the Credit care, I was hoping you'd be able to get it.
You and your ex- splitting the costs sounds like a good idea - she was with HIM when it happened. He ought to be willing to cough up half the money.
A personal loan from your bank sounds like a good deal - usually interest isn't too high on those type loans.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby KaylasMomJenn » July 10th, 2006, 2:08 pm

Update!
The office manager at the vet clinic called me back. She called me let me know that we could have a new vet do the surgery under the veteran vet's supervision, and taking off a few other things, we dropped the price to around $1,000.
That's not the best part, she's going to let us pay half down, and make payments on the rest. I told her about this forum and she was delighted that I had some offers for donations. I was going to start a thread to see if anyone wanted to send donations directly to the animal hospital, I'll get that started.
I drop her off tomorrow morning between 7 and 8. I hope she is on her best behavior for them (do your dogs growl at the DR, too?). The vets office and this forum has proven to me that there are still very decent and giving people in this world.
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » July 10th, 2006, 2:09 pm

That's GREAT!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » July 10th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Wonderful news! :clap:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 10th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Yay!! Little Marshmallow is going to be just fine...
Give her a kiss for me
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » July 10th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Oh that is wonderful!!!!!! :clap: :clap: I would give them ALL of my business from now on if I were close to you. :groupHug: I am SOO glad they are helping you, most offices would not.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 10th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Yay!!!! :rock:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby KaylasMomJenn » July 10th, 2006, 3:05 pm

I will be using them for all of my animals in the future. (And I'm only 22 so there's plenty of years left!)
LoL.
Thank you everyone!
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » July 10th, 2006, 3:43 pm

It is great to hear that they will be helping you. If you have a good relationship with a vet, it's really important. You might want to look into pet insurance...it won't help you with this...but in the future...it's a small price to pay for knowing that your pet will be taken care of....

I know that my vet isn't perfect, but I just had over $750 worth of pre-breeding testing done on Sacha....He always lets me do payment plans...that's one of the reasons I love him...even after the move, even though it will be an hour away, I'll still go to him...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Next