Help!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby KaylasMomJenn » July 8th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Chris (the ex) just called and said Marshmallow is having trouble walking. They are out in the fields about 2 hours from home, they were throwing the frisbee for her. It has happened on occasion Marsh would limp after running a lot, and she has a clicking noise quite often in the same front leg that she limps on, but this time, it is her back legs. He said she wasn't jumping, just running.
She is not moaning or whining, but very hesistant to get up and walk.

Do we give her aspirin? Do you guys think she might have arthritis and that's why she has the clicking noise? I think she just pulled a muscle, what do we do to make her more comfortable?

Ahh! Help!
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby satanscheerleader » July 8th, 2006, 4:44 pm

I'd get her xrayed. Aren't all these signs of displasia?
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 8th, 2006, 4:44 pm

Give her an asprin and a couple days rest.

If she is having jont trouble, I'd suggest supplimenting her diet with glucosomine and MSM
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » July 8th, 2006, 4:47 pm

Being that they're so athletic, pits and pit mixes are prone to damaging their ACLs. Could also be arthritis or hip dysplasia. Best bet is to get her examined and x-rayed.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby KaylasMomJenn » July 8th, 2006, 4:51 pm

Thank you all for the quick replies. I'll have him give her an aspirin and rest her the rest of the weekend and have him take her to the vet if it is still a problem Monday.

Thanks again.
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby satanscheerleader » July 8th, 2006, 4:54 pm

How old is she?
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby KaylasMomJenn » July 8th, 2006, 5:02 pm

2 in November.
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby KaylasMomJenn » July 8th, 2006, 5:05 pm

She is also shaking. He called his aunt (a breeder) she told him to give her an aspirin and cover her up. She's concerned it might be that she twisted her back. She said she's shaking because she's in shock. Now I am really worried.
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » July 8th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Just pain can cause shaking, not necessarily shock.
If she's shaking from the pain it might be worth a trip to the emergency vet.
ALSO be careful with aspirin because although "safer" than some other OTC drugs, it can cause stomach irritation.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby KaylasMomJenn » July 8th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Hes going to give her about an hour to see if the aspirin helps. Thank god the vet is a family friend, and he lives upstairs from his office, so he'll be able to see her today if need be.

THank you all for helping, my day just turned to crap. If she had paralized herself would she be shaking?
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » July 8th, 2006, 5:19 pm

KaylasMomJenn wrote:Hes going to give her about an hour to see if the aspirin helps. Thank god the vet is a family friend, and he lives upstairs from his office, so he'll be able to see her today if need be.

THank you all for helping, my day just turned to crap. If she had paralized herself would she be shaking?

I wouldn't wait to get her checked out, then. The shaking can very often be a sign of pain.

If she had paralyzed herself, it's unlikely she'd be moving at all.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » July 8th, 2006, 5:32 pm

I think she could shake if she was paralyzed, at least for a bit. If her spine is compromised, or a joint, waiting could be harmful. I know it's tough but the best thing to do would be to bring the dog to the vet ER...

eta: especially because bullies have such a high pain tolerance, this could be a severe injury, especially with her showing such obvious signs of pain.
Last edited by msvette2u on July 8th, 2006, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby satanscheerleader » July 8th, 2006, 5:32 pm

How are her gums looking? Nice and pink or pale?
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby msvette2u » July 8th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Oh yeah good idea - especially if you press on the gum, and release, is there good capillary refill?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 9th, 2006, 12:01 pm

poor Marshmallow!
been tested for Lyme?
Did she see the vet?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 9th, 2006, 12:34 pm

How is she doing?
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby KaylasMomJenn » July 9th, 2006, 7:02 pm

I was having issues with my computer and was going to have Michelle update, but I restarted and now my browser likes PBT again, lol.

We took Marshmallow to Grand Island Emergency Vet Clinic. She tore her cruciate ligament in her left rear leg. They gave her rimadyl for the pain. They also gave her cephalexin for a rash she got down there from the grass, she thinks she has allergies. I'm not sure why she gave her an antibiotic, but she did mention something about not wanting the rash to get infected.

The surgery for her repair is going to cost 1400.00, I'm not sure how or when we'll be able to come up with the money.

She is still shaking a bit when she's laying down, but the medicine gave her enough strength to stand up and pee for the first time today. She still hasn't pooped, but I'm assuming that's because she's not very interested in food or water right now. That also means I had to shove the medicine down her throat and I feel bad when I have to do that. She has been very good through this, no whining or crying.

Thank you all for your support, I'll keep you all updated
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » July 9th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Awww poor girl. She must have been in terrible pain!
There's a loan you can get for emergencies like this. If it doesn't get posted I'll try to find it and post it.

The computer I'm on isn't showing the 'url' !

Here's information:

CareCredit Merchants
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For practices currently enroled with CareCredit:
If you have questions regarding processing an application, please call: 866-453-9960 between the hours of:

Monday - Saturday 7:00am-10:00pm EST
Sunday 10:00am-7:00pm EST
For all other questions or issues, please call: 800-206-7376 Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PST.

For practices interested in enroling with CareCredit:
If you would like more information about CareCredit's payment plans or would like to enrol, you can:

Call us toll-free at 866-453-9963
Fax us at to 888-482-9433
or
E-mail our Sales Department
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 9th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Poor Marshmallow. Give her a smooch for me.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby satanscheerleader » July 11th, 2006, 7:30 am

Awwwwwwww........... poor baby. :(
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health