Middle Ear Infections?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » June 19th, 2006, 1:40 pm

has anyone ever dealt with this in dogs??? apparantly jesse's has a middle ear infection ... the vet said her culture came back with that possibility .. and her immune system is also REJECTING the meds she takes for her ears, which is mometomax..

the vet wants to put her under to clean out her ears fully, so that this way she gets all the infection out..

i have had it, 3 years of dealing with this, and NOW they tell me this???
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 19th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Middle ear infection would be behind the ear drum. How can cleaning the outer ear canal help? :|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 19th, 2006, 2:59 pm

it cant. i just found that out.. i wish i knew all this 3 years ago, i could have prevented her from getting to this point. i yelled at the vet, toldher to look at my file on jesse, how many times did i bringher in for her ears, and how many times did she get medicine, how many times did i complain about her infections... etc..Now, after 3 years, they say middle ear.... flucking money suckng scumbags...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 19th, 2006, 3:37 pm

:( I'm sorry to hear this.

So how is a "middle ear infection" treated, then?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby pocketpit » June 19th, 2006, 3:48 pm

With oral antibiotics that are different and stronger than the usual ones.

ME, I'm sorry to hear about Jesse's troubles, that is such a frustrating situation in and of itself without adding middle ear infection on top of it.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 19th, 2006, 3:51 pm

Poor Jesse. I hope it clears up soon and she gets relief
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » June 19th, 2006, 5:08 pm

the vet wants to put her under to clean out her ears at the middle spot. should i do it, or should i just do the meds first? i feel like they are milking me for every cent, and they are usually not like that.. i am just so frustrated that it took this long to get a stupid culture to find out what it is, she is constantly shaking her head, has yeasty stuff and brown stuff in her ears, they are always bright pink, and she is rubbing her ears on everything.. i just cant believe that this is what it comes down to after 3 years of my bitching.. and yes i should have gotten a different vet, but the ones up here dont have late hours, and the ones that do close at 6, and are almost an hour away, and are booked for months ahead of time..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 19th, 2006, 5:18 pm

Maryellen wrote:the vet wants to put her under to clean out her ears at the middle spot. should i do it, or should i just do the meds first? i feel like they are milking me for every cent, and they are usually not like that.. i am just so frustrated that it took this long to get a stupid culture to find out what it is, she is constantly shaking her head, has yeasty stuff and brown stuff in her ears, they are always bright pink, and she is rubbing her ears on everything.. i just cant believe that this is what it comes down to after 3 years of my bitching.. and yes i should have gotten a different vet, but the ones up here dont have late hours, and the ones that do close at 6, and are almost an hour away, and are booked for months ahead of time..

I don't think it would hurt to start over again with clean ears and then the antibiotics -- I bet Miss Jess will feel so much better after that "paste" is gone from her ears!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » June 19th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Marinepits wrote:
Maryellen wrote:the vet wants to put her under to clean out her ears at the middle spot. should i do it, or should i just do the meds first? i feel like they are milking me for every cent, and they are usually not like that.. i am just so frustrated that it took this long to get a stupid culture to find out what it is, she is constantly shaking her head, has yeasty stuff and brown stuff in her ears, they are always bright pink, and she is rubbing her ears on everything.. i just cant believe that this is what it comes down to after 3 years of my bitching.. and yes i should have gotten a different vet, but the ones up here dont have late hours, and the ones that do close at 6, and are almost an hour away, and are booked for months ahead of time..

I don't think it would hurt to start over again with clean ears and then the antibiotics -- I bet Miss Jess will feel so much better after that "paste" is gone from her ears!

I agree. I would definitely have them fully cleaned out and then start the antibiotics. It will make it oh so much easier.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » June 19th, 2006, 7:41 pm

thats what i was leaning to do. i am just not looking forward to reaching in my pocket for the $$$$. maybe i should breed my koi to my pleco to make some extra $$ for this... :|
Maryellen
I live here

Postby turtle » June 19th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Oh geez, poor Jesse and poor you! I had just posted over on PBP on your photo thread and asked how her ears are doing... well here's my answer.

I'm sorry she's still having such ear troubles. I don't have any advice since I've not had a dog with bad ears. If you get her ears cleaned out like they want, would they stay clean or would they fill up with gunk again?
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 19th, 2006, 8:51 pm

this new vet thinks that if we clean out her ears, it will give them a chance to heal. her right ear already has scar tissue on it, and the vet thnks that if we clean them while she is sedated, it will give her ears a chance to heal and this way we can start fresh, she said that its possible that the infection is so deep that the meds didnt work, and also, her body is fighting the ingredients in the mometomaxx too.. talk about a genetic screw up.. her own body is fighting the drugs in the meds ... the vet who owns the hospital said if we cant get her ears under control eventually she will go deaf. the vet said if we deep clean her ears, we can then use a different medicine since the one she is on now isnt working.. every night i clean them out, and every day they are gross.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 19th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Jess is your allergy dog, right? My vet and I had a discussion about ear infections and Mac (being my allergy dog) and she said that middle ear infections are common and chronic in dogs that have allergies.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Magnolia618 » June 19th, 2006, 9:32 pm

the ones up here dont have late hours

*ahem*

Dr Adams does! :wink:
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 19th, 2006, 9:59 pm

yep, she is the allergy one..
oh crap i forgot about him chea!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » June 19th, 2006, 11:44 pm

The thing I love about him is that he doesnt try to sell you ANYTHING. You go in, tell him exactly what you want and he does it. Period. He has never so much as brought up vaccines to me unless I mention it first. He has never recommended Science Diet and didnt even blink an eye when I told him I fed raw. He is incredible with the dogs and he LOVES pit bulls. Every time I go in there he says how you could beat one with a baseball bat and they would get up and give you a kiss. lol The tech is always sneaking kisses from Maggie.

He used to work at the Bronx Zoo, so he is VERY knowledgable. It is an extremely small practice. I dont know what he does as far as surgeries. I know that he doesnt spay dogs, but I'm not sure about neuters or anything else. There is one vet tech (who I believe is his son) and his wife is the receptionist. The place is itty bitty. He is an old crazy looking man, but he is really cool. You should definitely check him out!
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Malli » June 20th, 2006, 7:32 am

I think the cleaning might be worthwhile also.

Oscar's ears aren't great either. (but they're not THAT bad!)

If you got all that crap out of the way, it might be easier to keep them clean in the future, because the cleaner wouldn't have to try and dissolve all the gunk, just a little. You could also try using the cleaner, cleaning them, and then using the cleaner again... If your cleaner isn't too harsh.

What brand do you use? What are the ingredients? I have Oscar on a new cleaner and it doesn't smell all that nice but it seems to be working well, and is supposed to work better for the yeast and preventing it. I could get you the name, though I don't know if its carried in the states...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Maryellen » June 20th, 2006, 7:53 am

the vet gave me an antifungal/anti bacterial cleaner, i am at work, so i dont know the name i will find out when i go home tonight. i have to clean her ears out every night until thursday, and she is getting prednisone every other day to see if that works for now until thursday. then she goes back to the vet again.. and it doesnt help that she has airborne allergies either.. she is allergic to grass, cats, and oak trees too.. i just have the grass .. no oak trees or cats.. and she is allergic to housemites and dust mites, her count for each was over 5000 for each, the vet was shocked.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 20th, 2006, 8:45 am

Maryellen wrote:the vet gave me an antifungal/anti bacterial cleaner, i am at work, so i dont know the name i will find out when i go home tonight. i have to clean her ears out every night until thursday, and she is getting prednisone every other day to see if that works for now until thursday. then she goes back to the vet again.. and it doesnt help that she has airborne allergies either.. she is allergic to grass, cats, and oak trees too.. i just have the grass .. no oak trees or cats.. and she is allergic to housemites and dust mites, her count for each was over 5000 for each, the vet was shocked.

Have you done allergy shots for her? Mac has done a complete turn-around since starting his shots two and half months ago -- he's off-the-charts allergic to dust mites and mold, too.

He's not scratching his neck bloody anymore, and his bully bumps are almost completely gone. He hasn't had an ear infection in a month, either, knock on wood.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » June 20th, 2006, 9:00 am

i was thinking of doing the shots, but i wanted to get her ears clean first, this way i can start with a clean slate.. the vet had suggested allergy shots too..
Maryellen
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health