Middle Ear Infections?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » June 20th, 2006, 11:35 am

I got to reading about ear infections and it seems the ear drum can actually rupture and cause a middle ear infection. :| I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. This little cocker spaniel is having the same problem and I think we're going to have to have her ears deep cleaned too :(
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 20th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Malli, here is what i am using right now on jesse's ear.

Epi-Otic
Allerderm
Ingredients: 2.5% lactic acid and 0.1% salicylic acid in a propylene glycol surface acting vehicle preserved w/ PCMX
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 20th, 2006, 9:39 pm

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleaner.html

You can't believe how much this cocker's ears have improved with this solution. You make it up and have to use it daily. At first I halfed the alcohol with water, because her ears were so bad. So it was 3oz alcohol/3oz water, then the other ingredients. I put it in her ear and squish it around then dab it out kind of with a towel or washcloth (dry) because her ears were sooo gunky. She's gone from needing a vet visit to get them cleaned, to "maybe she won't have to go get them cleaned" which, at 13, I wasn't looking forward to since they'd have to sedate her. If I can get them cleaned out enough she'll avoid that.
Anyway it ought to work on any dog. :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » June 21st, 2006, 5:38 pm

Maryellen wrote:Malli, here is what i am using right now on jesse's ear.

Epi-Otic
Allerderm
Ingredients: 2.5% lactic acid and 0.1% salicylic acid in a propylene glycol surface acting vehicle preserved w/ PCMX

I'm using DermaPet's Malacetic Otic Ear Cleaner, it is WAY expensive and doesn't smell nearly as nice as the other stuff, but I think its working pretty well.

It has 2% Acetic Acid and 2% Boric Acid with "sufactants" (I think that would be isopropanol alcohal)

the web address is http://www.dermapet.com , and I think it says its from Maryland? so you should be able to get it...

I was told by my vet that it is more anti-yeast

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » June 21st, 2006, 7:11 pm

Malli wrote:
Maryellen wrote:Malli, here is what i am using right now on jesse's ear.

Epi-Otic
Allerderm

I'm using DermaPet's Malacetic Otic Ear Cleaner, it is WAY expensive and doesn't smell nearly as nice as the other stuff, but I think its working pretty well.

It has 2% Acetic Acid and 2% Boric Acid with "sufactants" (I think that would be isopropanol alcohal)

the web address is http://www.dermapet.com , and I think it says its from Maryland? so you should be able to get it...

I was told by my vet that it is more anti-yeast

Malli

It sounds like the recipe I posted except the one I'm using adds betadine for the bacteria. :| Acetic acid is vinegar...
Acetic acid, also known as ethanoic acid, is an organic chemical compound best recognized for giving vinegar its sour taste and pungent smell
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 21st, 2006, 7:14 pm

jesse used to use the derma pet one, but she built up a resistance to it and it doesnt work anymore :( i still have a bottle in the closet..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Malli » June 22nd, 2006, 2:50 am

Maybe try it again?

Oscar will build up a resistance to his antihistamines, but once he's off them for a few weeks its all gone...

That is true yvette, I didn't check out your link. However, at this point for me anyway, its easier to just buy it pre-done.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » June 22nd, 2006, 2:54 am

Ingredients:

White vinegar
Powdered boric acid
Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
Betadine antiseptic (or generic equivalent)

Directions for mixing the solution together:

Pour 6 ounces of isopropyl alcohol in to a plastic applicator bottle.
Add 1/2 tablespoon of boric acid powder.
Add 2 ounces of white vinegar.

Shake the solution extremely well, until the boric acid powder is fully dissolved.
Once the powder is dissolved, add one teaspoon of the Betadine antiseptic, and
shake it up some more.

Squirt the solution inside your dog's ear until the ear canal is completely full.
Massage the outside of the ear to help slosh the cleaning solution around inside.
Hold the dog still for about a minute.

Be sure to shake the solution up really well before each and every time you use it.
The boric acid has a tendency to settle at the bottom of the bottle.
Store at room temperature.

Use the cleaning solution daily until you start to see some improvement.
Gradually cut back to once per week when you are happy with the condition of the ear.
When the ear seems completely free of infection, you can go two weeks between treatments

This recipe came to you from Jim & Kellyn Zimmerlin
http://www.zimfamilycockers.com
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » June 22nd, 2006, 2:54 am

speaking of allergy testing, I'm considering that right now with Oscar...

my only hold up is the shots, and weather they are worthwhile and doable on a permanent basis for me...
The stats my vet gave me are:
The blood test is only affective on 60% of dogs.

So I have that to consider as well as just how well I am managing his reactions and weather it is worthwhile. The test itself would normally run about $500.... I would get a discount (I work for the Hospital associated with our vet) but it is still expensive...

*sigh* why did my first dog have to be an allergy dog? :|
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » June 23rd, 2006, 9:14 pm

I had my vet check Sacha's ears today while she was under for her hip x-rays. He said that her ear canals were SO dirty that he was surprised she could still hear (Ironically, I was recently telling Michelle that Sacha was ignoring me an awful lot...she probably was having trouble hearing me).

He gave the a thorough cleaning and put her on Mometamax....he said we'd have to keep our eyes on it, though since it can spread.

My dog walker said that Zymox (don't need a prescription for it) is the BEST stuff she's ever used on a dog's ears, and said it works better than otomax or mometamax....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » June 23rd, 2006, 9:40 pm

jesse goes tuesday to be put under and have her middle ear infections cleaned out , rinse, repeat, rinse repeat scrape rinse.... the vet said her cultures came back, and her immune system is fighting the mometomax, and her system is fighting all the meds she takes.... figures... so the eear cleaning will give her a fresh start to clean ears, and a different antibiotic to prevent infection for now, and then we will see how it goes....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 25th, 2006, 1:57 pm

I ended up making an appt. for Jenny for Thursday, that was the soonest she could get in. They said they use Xylazine on older dogs and don't put them under with gas anesthetic. We'll see.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 26th, 2006, 3:26 pm

katrina where does that zymox med get sold?
Maryellen
I live here

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health