I found a lump...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby 04100824 » June 19th, 2006, 9:29 am

On Reno's right hind leg. I remember Troy, the guy we got him from, saying something about him having a lump a LONG time ago, but I never really noticed it. (I also never looked for it) Yesterday I was petting his side, and my fingers ran over it... it's about the size of a 50 cent piece, it's not balding, it's smooth and kind of firm, and moves a little bit if I push it, and doesn't seem to be causing nay kind of discomfort, and he's still acting like himself doing zoomies through the house and donuts on our bed sending pillows flying everywhere.

I'm really hoping it's just a bite or a fat deposit... but I'm worried. He also got a shot in that area about a bit over a week ago... maybe it irritated something? ::sigh:: We're going to watch it for the next day or so and I'm going to talk to Troy and ask him where the lump was, how big it was etc. Reno has another vet visit to get a booster shot in about 2 weeks, but if it gets larger or we get more concerned, I'll have to take him in early and then again to get the booster.

We really love this dog, and we're more than willing to do what we can and have it tested, removed, etc, but DAY-UMM he's getting expensive quick. Especially since we're trying to get into a house...

I'm worried about my boy...
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 19th, 2006, 10:03 am

if it is the same spot where he got his vaccine, it could be a reaction to the shot. mine get that when they got their vaccines, after a few weeks it went away..

if it is a different area, i would get a biopsy done to make sure its not cancer
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 19th, 2006, 10:21 am

I hope he is OK
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 19th, 2006, 11:12 am

Keep us updated.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » June 19th, 2006, 12:02 pm

you can get an aspirate done on it as well. They stick a needle into the lump and pull out a few cells.

Its not painful at all? Is it in a place where he might of nicked it on something? Is there any other trauma?

hope everything is ok

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby 04100824 » June 19th, 2006, 2:55 pm

He doesn't fuss at all no matter how much we poke, prod and move it around. There doesn't seem to be any other trauma - no redness, missing hair, scratches, etc.

He did get a shot in that area a week and a couple of days ago... I'm just hoping it's nothing too serious. It popped up SO quickly! I woldn't think it would be a tumor or anything...but I just don't know. Unless it gets larger or he starts acting weird or it starts seeming uncomfortable/painful I think we're just going to watch it and wait until he has to go in for his shot. I'll have them check it out and do whatever is necessary...

I seriously just don't know. :|
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » June 20th, 2006, 7:20 am

It IS really hard to say....

if it popped up quickly, it could very well be an abscess. Sometimes they don't hurt very much because the tissue around them starts to die off.

You could try hot compressing it (I've used a bowl of hot-ish water and a cloth that is re-dipped) for about 5 minutes every 6 hours or so to see if it ruptures ....

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby 04100824 » June 20th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Malli wrote:It IS really hard to say....

if it popped up quickly, it could very well be an abscess. Sometimes they don't hurt very much because the tissue around them starts to die off.

You could try hot compressing it (I've used a bowl of hot-ish water and a cloth that is re-dipped) for about 5 minutes every 6 hours or so to see if it ruptures ....

Malli

I don't think it's an abcess. My In laws' dog used to get an abcess on his face, and this just doesn't feel the same as that did.

It seems to have gone down just a little bit, but part of that is just that we're not messing with it anymore. He's still acting like himself, and doesn't seem to be in pain...

Guess we'll just keep watching it until his next booster shot.
Confident Young Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health