Pediatric Neutering

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby anissa » June 11th, 2006, 12:29 pm

My husband and I have come to a heartwrenching decision to re-home our 7 week old pup. I have talked with a mod on this forum, who has been very helpful and has given me many options to consider. We still havent decided whether we are going to foster until a local rescue can find him a happy home, or if we're going to try to find and screen our own adopter/buyer.

I have two immediate concerns before we start the process. First of all, he still hasnt recieved his first shots. He had a small infection in his penis the day we picked him up. We took him straight to the vet and recieved both pills and a wash to treat it. The infection has cleared up, but he's still on the medication, and our vet recommended that we not get his shots until the medication is finished.

We havent had him neutered yet either. Take into consideration that we got him when he was only 6 weeks old, and he's just over 7 weeks now.. My concern is this.. is he still too young? Ive read that pediatric neutering can cause bladder problems, etc?

If he's too young, or problems could arise from having it done at such an early age.. how is it possible to re-home him with a GUARANTEE that the new owners will have it done?
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 11th, 2006, 12:58 pm

You can neuter as soon as they are old/big enough for the sugery. I can't say I completely agree with the decision, but if you do it responsibly that is the best thing.

Have him neutered before you place him, that is only way to be 100% sure it's done. A rescue will be much more likely to take a dog that is neutered because it is less of a finantial burden for the rescue.

I'm glad that you are making the best decision for your pup and your family. I'm sure it can't be easy.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby anissa » June 11th, 2006, 1:10 pm

mnp13 wrote:You can neuter as soon as they are old/big enough for the sugery.

What age/size is ideal for the surgery, without running the risk of any future problems?

mnp13 wrote:I'm glad that you are making the best decision for your pup and your family. I'm sure it can't be easy.

Oh geez, its absolutely heartwrenching. I teeder back and forth on the decision, but like ME said.. I need to think with my head, not my heart. I believe my heart saved him from god knows who that BYB would haven given him to, but now my head has to find him a safe and loving home.

IF I was more experienced and could without a doubt handle a male/male home, this wouldnt be my decision. :(
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 11th, 2006, 1:12 pm

anissa wrote:
mnp13 wrote:You can neuter as soon as they are old/big enough for the sugery.

What age/size is ideal for the surgery, without running the risk of any future problems?

Talk to your vet on that one. My cat was spayed at 10 weeks, when she weighed just a hair under 2 pounds. They wanted her to be two pounds, but after they weighed her they wouldn't bring her back out because they said that she was "close enough"
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » June 11th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Our club might be able to help. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby anissa » June 11th, 2006, 2:18 pm

I'll PM you Charles.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ellie@ny » June 11th, 2006, 2:24 pm

I've heard many breeders neutering their pet quality pups at a very young age,so the pups recover faster,and they ready for the new families just in time.And I belive the surgery cost less too?!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 11th, 2006, 6:05 pm

I'm sure this decision is killing you, but it's probably the right thing to do. And you're going about it responsibly, as opposed to putting a sign in your yard "free to a good home!" So though it's hard, rest assured it's better for the pup. Keep us updated.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Maryellen » June 11th, 2006, 6:32 pm

pups can be speutered at 6 weeks old. some vets will do it, some wont. some rescues will take an unspeutered pup , some wont. if you rehome him on your own, make sure he is neutered before he goes anywhere. i have a nice contract you can use too, in case you decide to rehome him your self.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 11th, 2006, 7:53 pm

IF I was more experienced and could without a doubt handle a male/male home, this wouldnt be my decision.

And I applaude you for it. Under other circumstances I would be very upset with you but I think in your case it is he best thing for all of you. Your husband will be gone, you have young children & an older, possibly DA dog already. Multiple pit bull families are hard work for two or more adults to handle, there is no way I would even think about it on my own & I have owned this breed all of my life. I know it is hard & you will miss him but you are going to have your hands full as it is, adding a pit bull puppy to the mix will eventually overwhelm you. You are doing yourself AND him a favor. :hug3:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby bouvierz » June 11th, 2006, 8:56 pm

We neuter our male animals at 8 weeks and our females at 12 weeks. We never have any problems immediately after surgery and I havent heard of any long term problems. I hope this helps with your decision to neuter your pup. :wink:
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » June 11th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Maryellen wrote:pups can be speutered at 6 weeks old. some vets will do it, some wont. some rescues will take an unspeutered pup , some wont. if you rehome him on your own, make sure he is neutered before he goes anywhere. i have a nice contract you can use too, in case you decide to rehome him your self.

Don't forget to microchip him if he isn't already :)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby anissa » June 12th, 2006, 1:34 am

msvette2u wrote:Don't forget to microchip him if he isn't already :)

Microchipping is mandatory on an army base.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby anissa » June 12th, 2006, 1:45 am

Thanks for all of the support, tips and advice. We're going to finish up his medication, take him in for a checkup and his shots, and discuss neutering. I am sure by then, he'll be 'old' enough.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » June 12th, 2006, 8:06 am

The one vet I found in my area who does pediatric speutering said that the dogs must be at least 8 weeks and 5 pounds.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Sue » June 12th, 2006, 8:42 am

If you don't have any luck finding someoe on your own that will do ped. neutering, you can try to contact rescues, they should know of a vet that will do it.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 12th, 2006, 11:41 am

SisMorphine wrote:The one vet I found in my area who does pediatric speutering said that the dogs must be at least 8 weeks and 5 pounds.

I second this
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby anissa » June 12th, 2006, 12:41 pm

SisMorphine wrote:The one vet I found in my area who does pediatric speutering said that the dogs must be at least 8 weeks and 5 pounds.

Well Brock is 8 lbs.. and will be 8 weeks next week. I think it'll be fine once his meds are finished.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 12th, 2006, 12:45 pm

try these people:

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/programs/index.html

look to the right, put in your zip code and see if they have any vets that participate in the spay/neuter program, then start calling around.. you can get a neuter cert from them too, you pay for it and they send it to you, with a list of vets that participate.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby anissa » June 12th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Oh yea Ive checked out that site ME and they have one here in Watertown. Our vet (Charlie's) gave us a package for Brock. $144.00 will cover his neutering, and all of his shots for the first year. Although I wont have him for a year.. Im thinking thats still a good deal for both his neuter and first shots/rabies/parvo etc. (oh and.. free checkup's, emergency or not)
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health