Oh Happy Day!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Miakoda » June 9th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Well, my main purpose to going to the clinic was to hit up our adjoining pet supply store for some food. It's nice to have this store as they carry high-end products (absolutely NONE of the grocery store kibble) & all other kinds of toys, leashes, beds, & goodies. The funnest part is I get a 20% discount on all purchases including dog food.

Anyways, I really just needed about 300lbs of of DVP ( :D ), but I also noticed they now carry Nature's Variety...the raw kibble diet stuff. I noticed the price was $44 for a 40lb bag compared to the $36 I pay (before discount) for the DVP. But I thought "what the heck"...why not buy a bag or 2 & see how a handful of dogs do on it. Since I have 2 dogs that do poorly on anything other than DVP Venison formula (Wrigley & Chipper), I'm not worried about them. So I asked Vincent, the food guy, to load up a bag on the cart for me. Well, the owner of the store saw me (& knows I helped buy him his new car :wink: ), so he said "Give that young lady a deal today"....as if my 20% discount isn't enough. So guess what? I paid $24 per bag of DVP & only $30 for the NV! AND they threw in 10 of the prepackaged NV raw beef knuckles & 5 of the bison bones!

Oh how the dogs are enjoying themselves right now! There are 13 dogs in this house & all I hear is silence with the occasional scraping sound of a bone being pushed around in the kennel. I LOVE IT! :elephant:
Last edited by Miakoda on June 9th, 2006, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 9th, 2006, 6:51 pm

Miakoda wrote:Well, my main purpose to going to the clinic was to hit up our adjoining pet supply store for some food. It's nice to have this store as they carry high-end products (absolutely NONE of the grocery store kibble) & all other kinds of toys, leashes, beds, & goodies. The funnest part is I get a 20% discount on all purchases including dog food.

Anyways, I really just needed about 300lbs of of DVP ( :D ), but I also noticed they now carry Nature's Variety...the raw kibble diet stuff. I noticed the price was $44 for a 40lb bag compared to the $36 I pay (before discount) for the DVP. But I thought "what the heck"...why not buy a bag or 2 & see how a handful of dogs do on it. Since I have 2 dogs that do poorly on anything other than DVP Venison formula (Wrigley & Chipper), I'm not worried about them. So I asked Vincent, the food guy, to load up a bag on the cart for me. Well, the owner of the store saw me (& knows I helped buy him his new car :wink: ), so he said "Give that young lady a deal today"....as if my 30% discount isn't enough. So guess what? I paid $24 per bag of DVP & only $30 for the NV! AND they threw in 10 of the prepackaged NV raw beef knuckles & 5 of the bison bones!

Oh how the dogs are enjoying themselves right now! There are 13 dogs in this house & all I hear is silence with the occasional scraping sound of a bone being pushed around in the kennel. I LOVE IT! :elephant:

That is awesome..

AND silence is BLISS!!!! :clap:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby turtle » June 9th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Congrats! That's a great deal!

I've heard that Nature's Variety kibble is sold in bulk in something they call a "Breeders Bag". It's a 50 pound plain wrapper bag that sells for something like $25 each. But you have to buy it in quantity. If you're feeding quite a few dogs, you might want to find a distributor and ask about this.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 9th, 2006, 8:13 pm

What a deal!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Purple » June 9th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Great deal.....300lbs of kibble :shock:
Purple
I live here

Postby pocketpit » June 10th, 2006, 2:30 am

There are 13 dogs in this house

Thank god there are people crazier than I am! :D
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » June 10th, 2006, 8:23 am

Wow damn good deal!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » June 10th, 2006, 11:50 am

pocketpit wrote:

That's what I was thinking. LOL I only have 9 with mine and the fosters.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » June 10th, 2006, 12:25 pm

That is awesome!!! Enjoy the silence.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Romanwild » June 10th, 2006, 12:54 pm

I love a good deal!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Miakoda » June 10th, 2006, 3:14 pm

msvette2u wrote:
pocketpit wrote:

LOL. Even my husband thinks I'm nuts. But for those that think you can't possibly get attached to so many dogs, think again! We love each one for individual reasons & I cannot imagine having any of them gone.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby msvette2u » June 10th, 2006, 11:58 pm

Miakoda wrote:
msvette2u wrote:
pocketpit wrote:

LOL. Even my husband thinks I'm nuts. But for those that think you can't possibly get attached to so many dogs, think again! We love each one for individual reasons & I cannot imagine having any of them gone.

DITTO!! That's how I feel about our 5, probably 6 at this point, with elderly Jenny here... lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Cuda » June 12th, 2006, 10:48 am

Times like that are the reason i support the local stores more then Petco and PETsMart. And i have both of those in multiples in my area. Although stuff may be a little more expensive at the local shops if youre a regular they will throw you a discount here and there. Not to mention all the extra love and attention the dogs get when we go there. Its well worth the few extra dollars spent to support your local animal lovers rather than put the money is some huge corp adding to the billions they already have in their pockets.
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Nutrition & Health